Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Seriously though, they need to do something about that number 82. Easily the worst WR number. Should have given that number to Davis and slapped 84 on Watson if you where we're going with an 80s number. 

We did it!!! We cancelled 82!

Great work everyone.

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's a LOT of variable involved in making significant deals.  What is Team X willing to give up to move up the board?  What is Team Y want in return for moving down the board?  How does Team X's board shake out when they're approaching a team about moving up?  How does Team Y's board look like when they're receiving offers for their pick?  There's no single answer to those questions.

But I do think we can safely make a few assumptions:
1.) Green Bay had Christian Watson as the highest ranked WR left, and probably in a tier of his own amongst WRs.
2.) George Pickens while in the tier as far as talent goes, was probably off the board for character concerns.
3.) Christian Watson was probably one of the last guys in his tier, and the needs met value.

That being said, outside of George Pickens (who I think at this point we have to assume isn't on our board) he's the only one with #1 WR potential.

Pickens is a better receiver right now IMO.  It's about projection.  Intelligence is super important.  Character also.  Think these two things swayed the Pack and why they fell in love with Watson.  If a dude is committed and smart he'll have a better chance of success.  I get it.  Just look no farther than what Adams was able to do.  

Of course RAS factored in as well.  Personally would have been thrilled with either guy.  Only thing that didn't thrill me was what we had to give up to get him.  Oh well.  Gute did what he had to do.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Pickens is a better receiver right now IMO.  It's about projection.  Intelligence is super important.  Character also.  Think these two things swayed the Pack and why they fell in love with Watson.  If a dude is committed and smart he'll have a better chance of success.  I get it.  Just look no farther than what Adams was able to do.  

Of course RAS factored in as well.  Personally would have been thrilled with either guy.  Only thing that didn't thrill me was what we had to give up to get him.  Oh well.  Gute did what he had to do.  

They paid a premium AND they had the opportunity to grab Pickens.  It's safe to say that Watson was clearly graded higher then Pickens.  And I'd venture that Pickens wasn't on the board after they invested that much time into him.

As expected, a lot of mixed reviews. (Also a lot of good reviews on Rhyan). 

Hadn't heard this opinion before which could be something to watch:

AFC scout: “Very intelligent but does not consistently apply himself. Still has maturing to do showing up to meetings on time. Not a leader because of his own inconsistent work habits. Has missed special teams meetings but owns it and is growing up … Showed up to campus weighing 185 and could be 215 but he’s a picky eater. I believe he’ll ultimately figure it out and step into his potential when his pay check is on the line, although it may be a steep learning curve for him to figure it out.”

• Like 1

My thoughts from a  Mid March Mock

Round 1 pick 28:  Christian Watson WR North Dakota State 6'4 208   I think Watson has the highest ceiling of the WR in this draft.  the raw tools are their and the size is something that separates him from the Olave/Wilson/Moore types.  

38 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

@Norm and I briefly talked about the gap between the two earlier. I understand now that Alex is just referencing the quote and I am sure he knows full well the differences. I couldn't find a quote just Jim Nagy referencing he talked to a coach that player against both and he said Watson is the best he has seen since Moss was at Marshall. 

A guy I played with in high school got a partial scholly to play at Moorehead abs never even started at a ND high school. Just kind of illustrates the talent level discrepancy. 

Oh I 100% knew that Alex knew the difference. Sorry about that

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Oh I 100% knew that Alex knew the difference. Sorry about that

I knew he knew the difference but I was just unsure if he was using it in a way to needle and annoy. I know many people (most went to big schools) that know the difference but still say D2 as way to kind of out down teams like NDSU. But I understand where is coming from now. The coach who gave that quote is most likely Farley from UNI from what I can gather.