Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

8 hours ago, R T said:

I lived through the 70's and 80's dark ages also, but that doesn't and shouldn't affect the roster management for today's team. Your comments are typical of someone who fears the unknown of what will happen with a QB change and clings on for dear life. Guessing you probably did the same thing with Favre after Rodgers was drafted in 2015 also. There is life after Rodgers and the Packers will be just fine when he is gone.  

It isn't exactly fear of a QB change.  I just know these good times are numbered.  Almost every team has had stretches of winning followed by years of losing.  Buffalo went thru 17 years of mediocrity.  The Gmen have had 10.  Washington hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years.  We are just the second franchise to have back to back HOF QBs.  Unless Love is the answer or we find another decent QB after Rodgers hangs up his cleats it could be a while before we have this kind of success again.   We should appreciate what we have while we have it, that's all.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Donzo said:

Don’t be so sure.

The ultimate reason Wolf and TT succeeded as GMs is they both hit big on a QB in their first attempts. Even though Gute has had some success building a team. He already took a big swing at adding his QB and it was a colossal fiasco on multiple levels. With the NFL more QB centric than ever, Gute’s ineptitude at addressing the QB room is foreboding.

We don't know if Gute has swung and missed with Love yet but you right about one thing.  Wolf and TT hit it big on securing Favre and Rodgers.  Teams right now that are struggling are those without a decent QB in this QB driven league.

19 hours ago, Pugger said:

We don't know if Gute has swung and missed with Love.

I hope I'm wrong but Love has been a bust so far and I don't see him overcoming it. He's been very inaccurate since his Sr season, and as mentioned, I don't see him overcoming it. The comps are pretty brutal.

What's doubly frustrating about it is the squandered premium assets spent on Love. Assets that could have benefited positions of need.

Gute's crapped the bed on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Donzo
sequence application errors

Not really. Rodgers wasn’t even a top 10 QB the two years prior to drafting Love. Gute would have been derelict in his duties if he wasn’t looking for the next guy. Rodgers could have just as easily fallen off the map. It happens to a lot of QBs his age. The first round pick was an asset, but first round picks bust all of the time. I wouldn’t call the 4th round pick a premium asset.

Edited by TheEagle
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Donzo said:

I hope I'm wrong but Love has been a bust so far and I don't see him overcoming it. He's been very inaccurate since his Sr season, and as mentioned, I don't see him overcoming it. The comps are pretty brutal.

What's doubly frustrating about it is the squandered premium assets spent on Love. Assets that could have benefited positions of need.

Gute's crapped the bed on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if Love was legit we'd know it by now.  You don't hear much about him.  I think if there was a buzz about him, we would hear it.  Also think Rodgers contract(s) are telling.  When the brass says this is a big summer for Love, it is.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think if Love was legit we'd know it by now.  You don't hear much about him.  I think if there was a buzz about him, we would here it.  Also think Rodgers contract(s) are telling.  When the brass says this is a big summer for Love, it is.

+1

6 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Not really. Rodgers wasn’t even a top 10 QB the two years prior to drafting Love. Gute would have been derelict in his duties if he wasn’t looking for the next guy. Rodgers could have just as easily fallen off the map. It happens to a lot of QBs his age. The first round pick was an asset, but first round picks bust all of the time. I wouldn’t call the 4th round pick a premium asset.

No, not at all. The spin that Rodgers wasn't a top 10 QB in 18 & 19 is inaccurate.

He had something like a 50/5 TD/INT ratio in 18/19. McCarthy's last season (2018) was brutal with subpar talent and an outdated offense. Awful pass blocking, poor receiver talent (horrific outside of Adams) and an offensive system that didn't generate open looks. 2019 was better as Rodgers learned MLFs system. He was real good early, but he did struggle with adjustments at the end of the season. He adapted and was great in the playoffs, so he wasn't fading. His game against the Seahawks was awesome. Then of course the team was demolished against the 9ers.

Soft-pedaling the draft capital is disingenuous and agenda driven, but Love has proven 1st rounders do bust.  For 4th rounders, they've been a big asset to recent teams. Off the top of my head- Bakhtiari, Tretter, Martinez, J-Will, Lowry, and Newman have hit. I think Johnathan Franklin was 4th rounder, too.  Losing him hurt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheEagle said:

The worst rank you could have put Rodgers in '18 was 8th and in '19 was 7th. And his receiving threats were VERY subpar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

The worst rank you could have put Rodgers in '18 was 8th and in '19 was 7th. And his receiving threats were VERY subpar.

I don’t agree. His advanced metrics put him outside of the top 10 both years. For example, he was 12th and 13th in DVOA those years. The eye test matched the advanced metrics.

• Like 1

Just now, TheEagle said:

I don’t agree. His advanced metrics put him outside of the top 10 both years. For example, he was 12th and 13th in DVOA those years. The eye test matched the advanced metrics.

Can you go back to those two years and tell me 10 QBs you would have taken over Rodgers in each? I'm interested in these lists. I agree it wasn't the best Rodgers we've seen, but the Best Rodgers is the MVP of the league. A down year from him is top 8. lol

On 5/7/2022 at 10:46 PM, Pugger said:

We don't know if Gute has swung and missed with Love.

You're right. I've been hypercritical of Love. I really disliked the trade up and pick of Love and have held that against him.

Saying that, he's been bad since his Jr season and I don't know if that's gonna change; we'll see. Maybe the light turns on with a new QB coach in year three in the NFL. The same year Rodgers emerged as a legit NFL prospect.

I've been drivin' all night, my hands wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', sayin', "I need you here"
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear

When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable, coming in from above
Don't need no phone at all

We've got a thing that's called AR love
We've got a wave in the air
AR love
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I don’t agree. His advanced metrics put him outside of the top 10 both years. For example, he was 12th and 13th in DVOA those years.

The eye test matched the advanced metrics.

What metrics? 

The eye test didn't match it.

The metrics and eye test both tell me that Christian Watson is fast as hell.  

I don't know the last time I was this excited about a Packers draft pick.  I would like to say it was someone awesome, but it was probably HaHa.  Either way, I love it.  

6 hours ago, Donzo said:

No, not at all. The spin that Rodgers wasn't a top 10 QB in 18 & 19 is inaccurate.

He had something like a 50/5 TD/INT ratio in 18/19. McCarthy's last season (2018) was brutal with subpar talent and an outdated offense. Awful pass blocking, poor receiver talent (horrific outside of Adams) and an offensive system that didn't generate open looks. 2019 was better as Rodgers learned MLFs system. He was real good early, but he did struggle with adjustments at the end of the season. He adapted and was great in the playoffs, so he wasn't fading. His game against the Seahawks was awesome. Then of course the team was demolished against the 9ers.

Soft-pedaling the draft capital is disingenuous and agenda driven, but Love has proven 1st rounders do bust.  For 4th rounders, they've been a big asset to recent teams. Off the top of my head- Bakhtiari, Tretter, Martinez, J-Will, Lowry, and Newman have hit. I think Johnathan Franklin was 4th rounder, too.  Losing him hurt.

I hate the revisionist history when it comes to Rodgers and the Love pick. 

2017-Injured his collarbone, missed half the season

2018-Played hero ball and would hold onto the ball for so long and take sacks to avoid throwing interceptions. 

2019-1st year in MLF system. Started to believe in it and played the game manager role Still did not look the same as prime Rodgers and deep ball accuracy was a very big concern 

Even the biggest Rodgers homers would not of predicted a complete turn around and back to back MVPs. Gute's job is to put a competitive team on the field while also preparing for the future. In hindsight, the assets used to take Love could've been better spent. But if Rodgers had continued his downward trajectory and played out his contract, we had a successor waiting in the wings. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22