Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I would, too. I choked on one of those as a kid and haven't been able to eat them since.

How is your route running potential? Is it poor? You might be Christian Watson

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree with much of this.  I dont think Watson his going to be a high volume guy. He doesn't have the route running capability to do it, what he will bring is a deep threat who defenses must respect.  I think this plays into their transition to a defense/power running team.  Their draft focused on defense and the OL.  I believe the days of Rodgers throwing the ball all over the yard are closing and Watson provides enough deep threat to keep defenses honest.  You still need WRs who can get open but  you'll likely see a dip in the passing game.   

This is exactly it. He doesn’t create separation (besides go routes and stop routes.) Hes not a big body who bodies guys out and dominates with contested catches. So he’s limited. He’s going to be feast or famine. Two big plays for 110 yards one game and then 0 the next game. 

But we needed a deep threat and we got one. He’s going to produce. I highly doubt he’s a bust.

I just don’t think he’ll ever be a consistent #1 receiver. I see him as a deep threat and a #2 guy. 

1 minute ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

This is exactly it. He doesn’t create separation (besides go routes and stop routes.) 

These are 95% of the routes in NDSU's playbook, we don't even know what he'll look like in an NFL tree.

Speed creates fear, fear creates separation. Watson will be fine there. Plus he's in an NFL route tree now designed to attack coverages. His college route tree was designed for him to beat guys who weren't on the same athletic plane as him.

• Like 1

He blocks. You can throw him screens and let him go to work with the ball in his hands. You can give him end arounds and let him press the edges of the defense. He runs a good stop route. And he gets amazing YAC after catching them. Most of all, he’s a deep threat. 

He’s a good player. 

I just don’t think he’s a consistent #1 WR and I don’t think he has the skillset to ever be. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

These are 95% of the routes in NDSU's playbook, we don't even know what he'll look like in an NFL tree.

Speed creates fear, fear creates separation. Watson will be fine there. Plus he's in an NFL route tree now designed to attack coverages. His college route tree was designed for him to beat guys who weren't on the same athletic plane as him.

If Watson was able to do more they would have fed him the ball more. His lack of production makes total sense. They’re not retarded at NDSU. They would have done more if he was dominant. 

3 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

If Watson was able to do more they would have fed him the ball more. His lack of production makes total sense. They’re not retarded at NDSU. They would have done more if he was dominant. 

I don't think you watch NDSU football lol

I hate to be THAT GUY but I watched the replays of the majority of the season of USD SDSU UND and NDSU. 

They're conservative as all hell. The first QB last year couldn't read a defense to save his life. They weren't going to have him throw underneath timing routes to a dude who can run by every DB in the MVFC

That being said, I didn't watch as many of them after he was replaced so maybe the other guy was way better and they could have but not that first half. QB was total ***

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

This list is the top 21 receiving yards leaders from 2021 in the NFL. I’m showing their best years from when they were in college. Cooper Kupp had a 1,700 yard college season and so on down the line. 

Watsons lack or production is a huge red flag. It’s not because NDSU is retarded, or because they run. You best believe if they had a guy who was always open they’d be throwing him the ball more. 

Cooper Kupp
Round 3 Pick 5
1,700 yards

Justin Jefferson
Round 1 Pick 22
1,540 yards

Davante Adams
Round 2 Pick 21
1,719 yards

Ja'Marr Chase (pro day)
Round 1 Pick 5
1,780 yards

Deebo Samuel
Round 2 Pick 4
882 yards

Tyreek Hill (pro day)
Round 5 Pick 26
281 yards

Stefon Diggs
Round 5 Pick 10
848 yards

Tyler Lockett
Round 3 Pick 5
1,515 yards

Diontae Johnson
Round 3 Pick 2
1,278 yards

DJ Moore
Round 1 Pick 24
1,033 yards

Kenny Golladay
Round 3 pick 32
1,156 yards

AJ Brown
Round 2 Pick 19
1,320 yards

Allen Robinson
Round 2 Pick 29
1,432 yards

DeAndre Hopkins
Round 1 Pick 27
1,405 yards

Calvin Ridley
Round 1 Pick 26
1,045 yards

Mike Williams (pro day)
Round 1 Pick 7
1,361 yards

Keenan Allen
Round 3 Pick 12
1,343 yards

Chris Godwin
Round 3 Pick 20
1,101 yards

CeeDee Lamb
Round 1 Pick 17
1,327 yards

Tee Higgins (pro day)
Round 2 Pick 1
1,167 yards

Michael Pittman
Round 2 Pick 2
1,275 yards

13 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Watsons lack or production is a huge red flag. It’s not because NDSU is retarded, or because they run. You best believe if they had a guy who was always open they’d be throwing him the ball more. 

JFC stfu.

You just refuse to listen.

They averaged like ******* 18 pass attempts a game or something close to that. 18. 

Eastern W was throwing it over ******* 40 a contest with Kupp.

Now scale that for attempts with Watson's yardage. Oh wow what happens.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

JFC stfu.

You just refuse to listen.

They averaged like ******* 18 pass attempts a game or something close to that. 18. 

Eastern W was throwing it over ******* 40 a contest.

Now scale that for attempts with Watson's yardage. Oh wow what happens.

You’re telling me they had this unguardable freak at WR and instead of going for easy completions they ran the ball over and over. OK buddy, whatever you say.

I’m betting Christian Watson will never be a consistent #1 WR. That’s fine if you disagree. 

This is a Packers board. I get it. Your second round receiver is the best receiver in the draft. Non of his red flags are red flags. Everything he didn’t do in college is because the team didn’t ask him to get open. 

We got the steal of the draft at 34 and the other teams are stupid for passing on him. ****, we passed on him twice. 

I know you don’t want to hear that he has weaknesses, but I’m shooting straight. He has red flags and weaknesses. That’s why a 6’4” guy who runs 4.36 lasted until the second round. He would have been taken earlier if he was a sure thing.

Someone using bulk stats vs % of team passing game is an interesting take.

NDSU threw the ball like 15 times per game.  Possibly because they didn't need to throw the ball as the their run game and defense was that good.

Reflect back on the 2019 NFCCG GB vs SF

6 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

This is a Packers board. I get it. Your second round receiver is the best receiver in the draft. Non of his red flags are red flags. Everything he didn’t do in college is because the team didn’t ask him to get open. 

Who said he is the best WR in the draft?

But he was open quite often.

6 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

We got the steal of the draft at 34 and the other teams are stupid for passing on him. ****, we passed on him twice. 

I know you don’t want to hear that he has weaknesses, but I’m shooting straight. He has red flags and weaknesses. That’s why a 6’4” guy who runs 4.36 lasted until the second round. He would have been taken earlier if he was a sure thing.

What WR in the 2022 draft was the sure thing?