Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

6 hours ago, craig said:

My two brothers-in-law are big NDSU fans (and Vikings fans.). Both said they were kinda surprised that Watson went that high.  One noted that he was good, but he hadn't thought he'd stood out that much; was surprised he went that high.  Other thought he was kinda, (he was reaching for the right word...) "kinda frail?" was what he came up with;  "kinda skinny".  Brother-in-law with the "frail/skinny" words also said "great hands"; given the faults the board has had regarding Watson's hands, that may perhaps speak more to my brother-in-laws clueless scouting than about Watson actually having good hands, and the same clueless scouting might apply to the "frail" perspective.  

These are just college NDSU fans, not NFL scouts.  But I think the "frail" and "skinny" comments are interesting.  We've had lots of comments to the effect that Watson is a blocker; but 205 pounds on a 6'5" guy, that is pretty slender.  He's got 8 inches on Amari but less weight.  Very different body types.  

Will be interesting to see how Watson absorbs the pounding of the NFL game.  Stretching high for the high balls and getting drilled?  Will he snap, or is he rubbery enough to take it all and bounce right back?  I have no clue.  

Also interesting to see what he'll do physique-wise moving forward?  Can/will he thicken up moving forward?  If so, can he do that without losing the speed and agility that made him the RAS darling to start with?  

Frail is definitely the wrong word. He had a couple muscle pulls and strains over his career. One sprained ankle but nothing that would make him frail. Great hands is also not a great assessment. They can be great but are inconsistent. If they had paid attention to the draft process they shouldn't be surprised he went that early. Most saw the mid second as a likely spot for him. I doubt he takes too many big shots going across the middle. And he has good blocking technique so injuries there are not of concern. 

I don't think we can argue, though, that 208 pounds on a 6'5" frame, that is relatively slender relative to most NFL frames.  Hopefully he excels playing with that; or if they reshape him somewhat, that doing so doesn't cost him much of what made him appealing in the first place.  

3 hours ago, craig said:

I don't think we can argue, though, that 208 pounds on a 6'5" frame, that is relatively slender relative to most NFL frames.  Hopefully he excels playing with that; or if they reshape him somewhat, that doing so doesn't cost him much of what made him appealing in the first place.  

He’s 6’4”, for what it’s worth. He measured at 211 at the Senior Bowl. Slimmed down for the combine. He’s a bit thin, but not that skinny. I don’t care what a couple of Viking fans said after we drafted him. As an NDSU fan, I wasn’t surprised he went that high.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Label me as one who hopes he does not become the next David Boston.  Kid clearly has some great genetics.  I hope he stays around this same weight.  

I think you have to worry about extreme roids for David Boston to be an issue lol

Edited by Arthur Penske

19 hours ago, TheEagle said:

He’s 6’4”, for what it’s worth. He measured at 211 at the Senior Bowl. Slimmed down for the combine. He’s a bit thin, but not that skinny. I don’t care what a couple of Viking fans said after we drafted him. As an NDSU fan, I wasn’t surprised he went that high.

Thanks, helpful.  I was just using the Packers website, which lists him at 6'5" 208.  I'm sure senior bowl and combine are more accurate.  The shirtless pictures that 1265 shared, those certainly don't look like a guy who's wimpy or has a lousy physique.  I also agree with Vegas, I don't want him adding a bunch of pounds that come at the expense of his mobility.  Stay fast and agile, don't Spriggs this.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think you have to worry about extreme roids for David Boston to be an issue lol

Yeah, the problem with Boston was more "this was a man who valued having really huge biceps" more than he valued "being good at football" particularly when the former thing gets you suspended.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:04 PM, vegas492 said:

Label me as one who hopes he does not become the next David Boston.  Kid clearly has some great genetics.  I hope he stays around this same weight.  

Wasn't Boston's added weight medically induced? 

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

This kid needs to become a player straight off for us. 

It would be nice.

But he just needs to fit in the offense for year one.  Maybe it is just the MVS stuff that he does.  But I feel like MLF will find a way to scheme him some touches.

We know how this goes for WR's in GB.  We need to be patient.  That brain needs to understand routes and defenses before the physical abilities really come forward.  And that takes some time.

What is scary to me is his 40 time.  The unofficial time was under 4.3.  Even in the Senior Bowl, he was running away from guys right away.  

This kid has a different kind of speed that cannot be taught.  Now he needs to be taught how to be a complete receiver.  I'm happy that Cobb is there at the OTA's, if for no reason than leading by example.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It would be nice.

But he just needs to fit in the offense for year one.  Maybe it is just the MVS stuff that he does.  But I feel like MLF will find a way to scheme him some touches.

We know how this goes for WR's in GB.  We need to be patient.  That brain needs to understand routes and defenses before the physical abilities really come forward.  And that takes some time.

What is scary to me is his 40 time.  The unofficial time was under 4.3.  Even in the Senior Bowl, he was running away from guys right away.  

This kid has a different kind of speed that cannot be taught.  Now he needs to be taught how to be a complete receiver.  I'm happy that Cobb is there at the OTA's, if for no reason than leading by example.  

You make good points but I think there is a difference, a big one. The WR room was always crowded with talent when guys like Adams and Cobb came in. That is not the case. Watson is going to have a chance to be more of a focal point in this offense than either Cobb or Adams were in their rookie year. 

It's more of a necessity to be sure, but he should have a lot more opportunities. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You make good points but I think there is a difference, a big one. The WR room was always crowded with talent when guys like Adams and Cobb came in. That is not the case. Watson is going to have a chance to be more of a focal point in this offense than either Cobb or Adams were in their rookie year. 

It's more of a necessity to be sure, but he should have a lot more opportunities. 

He should have as many opportunities as MVS had, for sure.  Maybe even more.

But, that comes down to his brain.  If the brain can understand some routes and concepts, MLF will find ways to get the ball in his hands.

He is not a polished WR at all.  It is going to take time for it to come together for him.  We need to exercise some patience here.

The last thing I want to see if Rodgers spiking one in the dirt near Watson then glaring at him and not throwing him another ball for 2 weeks.  

KISS method.  Keep.  It.  Simple.  Stupid.   Or....  Keep.  It.  Stupid.  Simple.

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The door was wide open for Adams to get playing time as a rookie in 2014 because of the lack of depth in the WR room that year. They had Nelson and Cobb, but the other 3 WR's that were rostered that year were two 7ths round picks in Janis and Dorsey and UDFA Boykins. Adams played over 70% of the offensive snaps that year almost by default. Same thing with MVS in 2018 when he had over 64% as a rookie. Adams had 38 catches for 446 yards and MVS had 38 catches for 581 yards, those years should shine a light on what a realistic Watson season might look like. 40/600 would be a very successful season for him and give hopes for a very bright future.  

• Like 3

Randall Cobb just said a WR doesn’t have to be great at everything, but be great at 4 or 5 things. 

That bodes well for Watson. He can be great at a few things right now. 

Less than 600 yards would be a monsterous disappointment for Watson with the situation he’s waking into. He needs to be better than rookie MVS on day 1.