Vikings Select Andrew Booth Jr CB, Clemson at #42

SemperFeist

Im definitely a fan of this pick. I personally would have taken him anywhere after pick 20 in the first round and been fine with it. Great that we got to get him early to mid 2nd though. Was nervous when we trade back to 53 since i didnt think he would be there. Nice to offer a small package to move up and get him and recover a 4th Rd pick.

Will be exciting to see him get on the field when healthy and see what he can do. Hopefully he'll turn out better than the last Clemson DB we took in the 2nd round (not that Alexander was a complete bust or anything). 

On 4/30/2022 at 12:44 PM, Eric dunn said:

IF he can stay healthy, this is the CB1 guys. I know this guy has what it takes to be a pro bowl CB. 

My comp for him is Chris McAlister. 

Dang! I could see Booth and Dantzler outside with Peterson in the slot. 

Is the #4 spot for Sullivan or does Hand have a shot there?

15 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Dang! I could see Booth and Dantzler outside with Peterson in the slot. 

Is the #4 spot for Sullivan or does Hand have a shot there?

At the beginning of training camp, I'd be surprised if it's anyone other than Peterson and Dantzler outside with Sullivan inside.  Booth has a chance to surpass Dantzler, but right now, he's going to be #4 with Hand and Boyd after them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

At the beginning of training camp, I'd be surprised if it's anyone other than Peterson and Dantzler outside with Sullivan inside.  Booth has a chance to surpass Dantzler, but right now, he's going to be #4 with Hand and Boyd after them.

Yeah. Unless Booth just has an eye-popping camp, I don't see him as the Week 1 starter. He's got to digest the entire defensive playbook. However, I think he'll definitely get a lot of run with the 1's and in 3 and 4 CB packages. 

• Like 1

I'd expect:

Boundary: Peterson, Dantzler, Booth, and Evans

Slot/Nickel: Sullivan and Hairston

That's 6 right there, not sure how many we kept last year but that leaves Boyd, Hand, and the rest of the bunch fighting for a spot or two.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I wouldn't put him behind the 8-ball since everyone will be learning a new playbook.

Sure. But typically, veterans have seen and played in concepts that rookies have not. They are, in theory, better able to pick those up more quickly. It's not a foregone conclusion, but I'd trust that Patrick Peterson would pick it up more quickly than Booth will. Ditto for the CB's they brought in as FA's. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he should be expected to be a Day 1 starter. He'll get every chance to prove himself though.