Trade Up to 50, pick WR Tyquan Thornton

DoleINGout

I like Thornton a good bit, and it's got nothing to do with the combine performance.

Reminds me of Paul Richardson. Would have preferred Pickens but they're taking a shot at a skill position player with speed and height and that's all we could ask for at this point.

Edited by Nex_Gen

Wooo we are in agreement! 

They also traded up to get him.. so the sports media will be so happy "they got their guy" 

I like the player, I thought he was a day 3 pick.. but in this draft nobody knows who loves who. He's not an agility guy.. he's FAST. I think he can run routes though, he's not just bethel johnson. 

He needs to move in with Mac and spend everyday working with Mac 

2 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Reminds me of Paul Richardson. Would have preferred Pickens but they're taking a shot at a skill position player with speed and height and that's all we could ask for at this point.

Solid comparison to Paul Richardson, except I think Thorton is taller and has longer arms. And Tyquan is probably faster yet.

I think the Pats might have considered Pickens there is they didn't have DeVante Parker already. Might have felt like Pickens would be redundant. Personality might not have been a fit. Pickens productivity to upside/talent ratio is lower than it ought to be despite the skill.

Thinking the same, we've got to think that at least N'Keal Harry gets traded this weekend, probably as part of a pick swap.. the same could happen with Agholor. 

I could still see them double dip day 3 at WR too. I could see them trying to go all speed with someone like Bo Melton.. and i could also see them pulling the 7th round Slade Bolden to be the security blanket type. 

His biggest thing going against him is small hands.. but he didn't seem to be a huge drop guy to me from what I saw. He also didn't have a problem going over the middle, so while he is under 200lbs I think he has an edge to him. 

Actually a good comp is a faster but less refined / agile Brandin Cooks. Which tbo makes sense given that they traded for Cooks previously that they would want that type of guy. They probably thought that Agholor could have been that guy last year but it didn't work out. 

This is the reason why I have concern with this pick.

He doesn't know how to play the position.  He has all the skills however can he learn. That's my problem when you are picking someone in the second round.

Also he's nothing like Bethal. This kid tries and make a effort !

There is nothing wrong with this kid however I have no faith in our coaching staff to develop WR skills.

Edited by m haynes

37 minutes ago, m haynes said:

There is nothing wrong with this kid however I have no faith in our coaching staff to develop WR skills.

I have faith in Mac tbo .. this guy at minimum wont be a bust. He may give Hollywood Brown production and never be a 1,000 yard guy.. but he seems like a hard worker.. Mac will work with him to make sure he understands the playbook

• Like 1

This is a good pick. I think Brandin Cooks is a good comp. But... this guy is LONG and tall. He can add mass to his frame. And unlike Cooks, I think Thornton has better YAC instincts or just general spatial awareness than Cooks.

I think this a big hit. Skyy Moore would have been a hit too, but I like this dimension of speed.

His biggest flaw is he doesnt react or read defense. If the route calls for a 5 yard slant, that is what he does even though its double covered at that level. He will literally run to defenders because that is his route instead of creating space or looking for the hole along his route. 

Skills and potential for days though.