The future of the Detroit Lions forum

SwiftPride

2 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Why don't you elaborate...when has jbc ever brought a qb around...stafford was progressing fine. 

Sure. Link

Cooter took over as offensive coordinator midway through the 2015 season and has now held that position for 15 games. All of them have been started by Stafford. Under Cooter's direction, Stafford has completed 68.95 percent of his passes for 4,044 yards, 34 touchdowns, and eight interceptions for a 105.5 passer rating. That's nearly a full season's worth of data. Just for some context: In his previous 84 starts, dating back to his 2009 rookie year, Stafford's passer rating sat at 83.9.

Since the beginning of Cooter's reign, Stafford's turned into an efficient, relatively turnover-free quarterback.

Comp. % YPA TD % INT % Passer Rating
Pre-Cooter 60.05 7.01 4.25 2.8 83.9
Post-Cooter 68.95 7.48 6.28 1.48 105.5

Not only did the Lions’ top three receivers share the wealth like never before, Stafford targeted tight ends and running backs on only 35.8 percent of his throws, easily the smallest percentage of his career.

This is what Jim Bob Cooter’s offense is supposed to look like. This is what top-level quarterbacking is supposed to look like.

tlw_stafford_study_3.png?w=1000&h=529

I could go on quoting article after article, but I hope you're getting the gist. 

55 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so in a thread about how to improve and expand your forum and asking for ideas, two guys duke it out over Stafford and Cooter.

got it.

In a thread complaining about lack of discussion, someone complains about the discussion going on.

Got it.

No real future. The fans haven't had anything to really hold their hats on for 20 plus years. On top of the prices to see them, I literally know way too many people between 24-18 through work that don't even watch football. Which is amazing to me because it's all me and my friends did on Sundays, Saturdays and Fridays(highschool), but even growing up I watched Michigan football and Lions football through the 90's with Barry Sanders. Sad to say that was the golry days of the Lions with Barry Sanders. Nothings has even come close to repeating of what those teams made me feel. I was 4.5 years old in 1991 and I literally remember fiving my whole family when they beat the Cowboys. It's sad that I'm convinced that'll never be topped...

1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

Ya the kid who managed a 5000 yd season bad OCs...no running game ever..terrible ol play

Needs jimbob  freakn cooter ooooook

Was that the season with a once in a generation type WR in the prime of his career? And the one of the seasons he threw more INTs than any season with JBC as OC?

I'm not saying Stafford didn't have a good 2011, but since JBC has taken over, he's become one of the top QBs in the NFL with significant downgrades as weapons.

29 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Was that the season with a once in a generation type WR in the prime of his career? And the one of the seasons he threw more INTs than any season with JBC as OC?

I'm not saying Stafford didn't have a good 2011, but since JBC has taken over, he's become one of the top QBs in the NFL with significant downgrades as weapons.

He was trending up just fine..

Lombardi killed things for a minute.agree?

And how many basically rookies do that even with a great wr..

24 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

He was trending up just fine..

Lombardi killed things for a minute.agree?

And how many basically rookies do that even with a great wr..

So when I said that I was one of the ones who didn't think he was good prior to JBC (Lombardi era) but changed my mind when he got better (JBC era), you agree? Why are we even talking about this then?

So you blame Stafford for w/e..one oc makes him trash but successfull with two others.. thinking back on all them drops..if you wanna put statistics out there..

I can't believe anyone would give that kind of credit to jbc. Jbc just dumbed the playbook down imo ..his playcalling is not that good imo

I believe many other ocs could of done the same as cooter

I just try to figure it's a chemistry thing..

Jbc did not make Stafford and it's dumb for me to tell you that.. So I'm done here

14 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

So you blame Stafford for w/e..one oc makes him trash but successfull with two others.. thinking back on all them drops..if you wanna put statistics out there..

I can't believe anyone would give that kind of credit to jbc. Jbc just dumbed the playbook down imo ..his playcalling is not that good imo

I believe many other ocs could of done the same as cooter

I just try to figure it's a chemistry thing..

Jbc did not make Stafford and it's dumb for me to tell you that.. So I'm done here

Cooter didn’t make Stafford by any means but he certainly helped improve his efficiency. Stafford was progressing but his play was very up and down game to game even drive to drive. He still has a bit of that in him but he has gotten far more consistent.

3 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

Cooter didn’t make Stafford by any means but he certainly helped improve his efficiency. Stafford was progressing but his play was very up and down game to game even drive to drive. He still has a bit of that in him but he has gotten far more consistent.

It's that what's supposed to happen you get better. Maybe it's because guys arent leading the league in drops

On 11/11/2017 at 12:55 PM, TimeForChange said:

I'm interested in making this forum more active and involved.

What sites do you frequent outside of FF, what news do you want to see, and what our your thoughts on recruiting new members?

I am a member of several forums with each focusing on different hobbies that I have and the same thing is happening across all forums which is year after year they lose contributors.

This is due to many reasons with the main one being (as someone else already mentioned) the increased popularity of social media. Reddit alone is the main go to site for 'forum-like' discussions. 

What I find on forums is mostly older people 35+ years old who haven't embarrassed these other sites and have been members of the forums long enough to be 'fixtures'. Unfortunately, they don't help with the recruitment of new blood because they often develop the 'old hand' mentality and also belong to established cliques of members who have become defacto moderators of new content. They are generally used to discussions being a certain way that would best be described as old school cordial whereas younger people who cut their teeth on facebook, 4 chan, reddit, etc. are used to being able to be a bit more liberal with their comments.

Another issue, specifically to football is that its interest is waning, especially among young people. The concussion issue, the lack of star power, the obvious business focus, and an increase in the interest of the arts, has reduced the amount of sports fans in America, especially fans of football which is why the NFL is pushing hard in the international market.

Then you have the Lions. Been a fan since the late 80s but I haven't watched a game of theirs in 2 years (don't live in the US). I check their box scores every Sunday though. Thing is, there really isn't much to talk about with this team. It's the same ole same ole. Things only get interesting when they get some otherworldly player like a Barry, Megatron or Suh. Stafford is good but realistically, you can't win the whole thing in this league without a great team and I just don't see that happening as long as the Ford's are in the driver seat. They don't provide that winning atmosphere that gets players to go that extra mile. They also have shown that they don't know football as they keep hiring mediocre front office and coaches.

So, my suggestion, if you want to increase contributions, get the Ford's to sell the team or allow for more varied conversation outside of just Detroit Lions football. 

Archived