The future of the Detroit Lions forum

SwiftPride

On 2017-12-04 at 5:02 AM, khaosoy said:

I am a member of several forums with each focusing on different hobbies that I have and the same thing is happening across all forums which is year after year they lose contributors.

This is due to many reasons with the main one being (as someone else already mentioned) the increased popularity of social media. Reddit alone is the main go to site for 'forum-like' discussions. 

What I find on forums is mostly older people 35+ years old who haven't embarrassed these other sites and have been members of the forums long enough to be 'fixtures'. Unfortunately, they don't help with the recruitment of new blood because they often develop the 'old hand' mentality and also belong to established cliques of members who have become defacto moderators of new content. They are generally used to discussions being a certain way that would best be described as old school cordial whereas younger people who cut their teeth on facebook, 4 chan, reddit, etc. are used to being able to be a bit more liberal with their comments.

Another issue, specifically to football is that its interest is waning, especially among young people. The concussion issue, the lack of star power, the obvious business focus, and an increase in the interest of the arts, has reduced the amount of sports fans in America, especially fans of football which is why the NFL is pushing hard in the international market.

Then you have the Lions. Been a fan since the late 80s but I haven't watched a game of theirs in 2 years (don't live in the US). I check their box scores every Sunday though. Thing is, there really isn't much to talk about with this team. It's the same ole same ole. Things only get interesting when they get some otherworldly player like a Barry, Megatron or Suh. Stafford is good but realistically, you can't win the whole thing in this league without a great team and I just don't see that happening as long as the Ford's are in the driver seat. They don't provide that winning atmosphere that gets players to go that extra mile. They also have shown that they don't know football as they keep hiring mediocre front office and coaches.

So, my suggestion, if you want to increase contributions, get the Ford's to sell the team or allow for more varied conversation outside of just Detroit Lions football. 

Well there’s a bunch of topics including an anything thread which promotes discussion outside of football.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:02 AM, khaosoy said:

I am a member of several forums with each focusing on different hobbies that I have and the same thing is happening across all forums which is year after year they lose contributors.

This is due to many reasons with the main one being (as someone else already mentioned) the increased popularity of social media. Reddit alone is the main go to site for 'forum-like' discussions. 

What I find on forums is mostly older people 35+ years old who haven't embarrassed these other sites and have been members of the forums long enough to be 'fixtures'. Unfortunately, they don't help with the recruitment of new blood because they often develop the 'old hand' mentality and also belong to established cliques of members who have become defacto moderators of new content. They are generally used to discussions being a certain way that would best be described as old school cordial whereas younger people who cut their teeth on facebook, 4 chan, reddit, etc. are used to being able to be a bit more liberal with their comments.

Another issue, specifically to football is that its interest is waning, especially among young people. The concussion issue, the lack of star power, the obvious business focus, and an increase in the interest of the arts, has reduced the amount of sports fans in America, especially fans of football which is why the NFL is pushing hard in the international market.

Then you have the Lions. Been a fan since the late 80s but I haven't watched a game of theirs in 2 years (don't live in the US). I check their box scores every Sunday though. Thing is, there really isn't much to talk about with this team. It's the same ole same ole. Things only get interesting when they get some otherworldly player like a Barry, Megatron or Suh. Stafford is good but realistically, you can't win the whole thing in this league without a great team and I just don't see that happening as long as the Ford's are in the driver seat. They don't provide that winning atmosphere that gets players to go that extra mile. They also have shown that they don't know football as they keep hiring mediocre front office and coaches.

So, my suggestion, if you want to increase contributions, get the Ford's to sell the team or allow for more varied conversation outside of just Detroit Lions football. 

I am a returning member. I made the decision to stop participating initially due to a large amount of infighting between a couple different members. I'm not from Detroit but I have been a Lions fan for the past 10 years. This was one of the ways that I would get more on my favourite team, especially as the national media doesn't spend too much time on the Lions. The team hasn't really done a lot to deserve it either.

Fact based discussions with the sharing of opinions is more appealing for me as a member/reader. If another member has obviously less knowledge on the Lions and/or football, it would be better to have an education session instead of belittlement. There is nothing wrong with taking the high road or "agreeing to disagree". I felt there was too much negativity and a lot of it was personal. My interest in the forum is to read about the Lions with other fans, not watch lengthy arguments between a couple members about insignificant things.

Archived