Vikings Select Brian Asamoah, LB, Oklahoma at #66

gopherwrestler

12 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

So all these picks are a bust without seeing them play?

Waste of a useful pick that could have been invested in a more premium position like QB or edge. If he turns out to be good vs Willis turning out to be good, the QB position is 100x more valueble. We just invested a 3rd on a LB last year. So i say waste because it is a waste of resources, with two starting caliber ILBs on the team already. Maybe they have a separate plan for Surrat, in which case id understand a bit more. 

3 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Waste of a useful pick that could have been invested in a more premium position like QB or edge. If he turns out to be good vs Willis turning out to be good, the QB position is 100x more valueble. We just invested a 3rd on a LB last year. So i say waste because it is a waste of resources, with two starting caliber ILBs on the team already. Maybe they have a separate plan for Surrat, in which case id understand a bit more. 

Or surrat sucks and is a sunk cost and there is no usable depth behind Kendricks and hicks

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

The odds of a QB picked that late being good are tiny. Of course if he works out, ooops. But the odds are tiny. 

• Like 1

The Vikings correctly predicted the off ball LB run in the 3rd round. EIGHT off ball LBs were selected in the 3rd, the most out of any round.

The Vikings had their pick of the litter and drafted Asamoah over

Chad Muma

Christian Harris

Nakobe Dean

Terrel Bernard

Channing Tindall

Leo Chenal

So they wanted a LB, probably an eventual Kendricks 2023 starter replacement given his 2023 cap hit vs cap savings if cut. They had their pick of literally ANY of them.

They thought that highly of Asamoah over the ones listed above. They are all comparable besides Chenal, who is more of a thumper. 

We'll see how it plays out. But you can't fault the Vikings for incorrectly predicting a positional run; they did it correctly here.

• Like 5

I'm just really intrigued by Brian Asamoah. Kwesi compared him to JOK but look at these other athletic comps. What really is going to help Asamoah besides his quickness and physicality, is his arm length! For a player that has a negative like weight, you have to ask, "what tools does he have to help him overcome that negative and perform?" The arm length is going to help disengage with blockers as he tries to shed and pursue the ball carrier. 

Edited by battle2heaven

1 hour ago, Kparty15 said:

I like this pick a lot.  I’m just curious why we took him over Nakobe Dean.  Hopefully he will show us why in the next year or two.

There seem to be guys like this every year or two. Surefire 1st rounders who fall into the 3rd or 4th rounds for one reason or another...and the teams that passed are usually proved right. Time will tell, but whatever caused Dean to fall, especially since it doesn't seem to be character/off-field issues, it's apparent that no team had him graded as a first round talent. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No. 33: Brian Asamoah, LB, Minnesota Vikings

After losing out on his first choice, No. 6, to first-round safety Lewis Cine, third-rounder Asamoah chose No. 33 to continue an unusual streak. The digits of every number he has worn in football have added up to 6. He wore No. 6 in high school, No. 24 at Oklahoma and No. 33 in the NFL.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34125083/number-15-rookies-explain-why-chose-their-nfl-uniform-number

6 minutes ago, Wundy said:

33 is such an odd number for a linebacker....and that it won't be Dalvin Cook running around with it on too.

That's why I hate the relaxation of the numbering system.  A LB can now wear a single-digit number or a 90s number and a RB could wear 84.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...