GDT: Broncos vs Patriots

germ-x

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

It's overlooked that Shanahan may never have been an option for Elway. He clearly didn't want a HC to come in looking for that much personnel control and clout within the organization. Something to consider

That's very fair - but given Elway's record in personnel evaluation on O, at the very least, it's something Elway has to consider now.   A famous saying about great leadership - hire the right people, then get out of their way so they can do their jobs.

Elway's a master cap manager, and has been great in FA (everyone whiffs, I don't hold the Watson or even the Okung whiffs - the FA class sucked - I will hold not going after Whitworth on him though, lol).  He's great in Day 3 at finding amazing value.  But his ability to evaluate O talent in the draft, and his Day 1-2 history, suggest that bringing in a Shanahan like O guy might be exactly what we need.    Or at the very least, let a true director of college scouting run the draft for Day 1-2.    The key is whether or not Elway will see this for himself.  He certainly saw where his mistakes lay after SB48 in focusing mostly on O construction, and then with Fox - hopefully he sees it with his offseason struggles the last 2 offseasons.   Sometimes being a great GM is realizing you need someone to do certain part of your job, and focus on what you are great at.  I pray that's the case here.

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

It's overlooked that Shanahan may never have been an option for Elway. He clearly didn't want a HC to come in looking for that much personnel control and clout within the organization. Something to consider

I can understand that maybe he didn't want to coach in the shadow of his father.  

before we get too caught up in personnel we need to keep in mind that Kubiak was hired as Senior Personnel Advisor by Elway in late July, long after our draft and FA decisions were made. It'll be interesting to see what impact, if any he has on future decisions.

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

before we get too caught up in personnel we need to keep in mind that Kubiak was hired as Senior Personnel Advisor by Elway in late July, long after our draft and FA decisions were made. It'll be interesting to see what impact, if any he has on future decisions.

If this turns out to be a positive.  How much would the Bronco organization owe Kubiak?  He'd be just as integral to their historic success as John; they'd have to erect a statue of Kubiak outside the stadium.  

27 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If this turns out to be a positive.  How much would the Bronco organization owe Kubiak?  He'd be just as integral to their historic success as John; they'd have to erect a statue of Kubiak outside the stadium.  

Elway has horse teeth, so it makes sense for Kubiac to be riding a bucking John

Archived