Bears draft CB Kyler Gordon (Washington) 39th overall

CBears019

I don’t think it was about fixing defense, not primarily anyway. 

I think they (Gordon/Brisker) we’re just legit BPA for them at those picks.

They were also needs.  I think he would go off board only for well filled positions.  He may have passed on QB he had higher than a pick at some point for example.

I hope in future he gets serviceable vets in place before draft so there isn’t glaring needs tempting you in one direction or another on draft week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t think it was about fixing defense, not primarily anyway. 

I think they (Gordon/Brisker) we’re just legit BPA for them at those picks.

They were also needs.  I think he would go off board only for well filled positions.  He may have passed on QB he had higher than a pick at some point for example.

I hope in future he gets serviceable vets in place before draft so there isn’t glaring needs tempting you in one direction or another on draft week.

Same. It was likely BPA and at a premier position. Hard to turn down. 

• Like 3

I'll reiterate, when your coach says you are best athlete he as ever coached that is a very high compliment.  Or best whatever.  

These guys spend every day with these players for hours, for years.   You can't gain that level of knowledge on someone watching their game tape alone.   

Coach interviews are so important to scouting.  If they are being honest.   I think he was being honest here.

That is really encouraging for this pick.   Richard Sherman being super high on him, not just from watching and evaluating him, but from actually playing with him, is a big plus as well.

I think given those two things his bust factor is really, really low and would only be injury related.  He may not be great, but he isn't likely to suck.

• Like 1

I am glad they are locking Gordon in on the outside as a rookie...I completely agree with Williams that moving him around a lot is too much on a rookies plate...

In year two I would love us to sign or draft another quality young CB because I really believe you need three who can play in today's NFL...I really like Young but health is an issue and the NB spot is so important in this defence...depending on who that 3rd guy is Gordon would then have the flexibility to stay outside or move to NB and be the answer there for the next 10 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Well he can jump high so that's nice

Those drills aren't meant to showcase how high a guy can jump....it's more to show how quick they can back pedal, get their bodies squared, and how quickly they can react to the ball.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Those drills aren't meant to showcase how high a guy can jump....it's more to show how quick they can back pedal, get their bodies squared, and how quickly they can react to the ball.

That's correct. I was moreso being a smartass because the title only talks about his hops. 

Now is time of year where we all marvel at how awesome guys look doing drills in shorts and t shirts and make pronouncements of greatness or worries which often turn out really wrong.  

My least favorite time.   Can’t wait for training camp and then with pads.  

But to be honest we also spend that time making pronouncements of greatness which turn out wrong or worry over nothing.   But at least it’s football with pads and contact.  

• Like 1

The list of NFL-caliber defensive backs that Jimmy Lake coached at the University of Washington, where he was head coach, defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach, is impressive.

After this year’s draft, it includes two first-round picks, five from the second, one in the third and one in the fifth. It’s led by All-Pros in safety Budda Baker(Cardinals) and cornerback Marcus Peters (Ravens).

So when Lake describes Gordon as the “most athletic player that I’ve ever coached,” which he did recently on “Mully & Haugh” on 670 The Score, that means something.

“Thank you, Jimmy,” Gordon said. “I agree.”  

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So when Lake describes Gordon as the “most athletic player that I’ve ever coached,” which he did recently on “Mully & Haugh” on 670 The Score, that means something.

Yeah it means he could end up being a good player (Marcus Peters), or a solid player (Taylor Rapp), or a complete bust (Kevin King, Sydney Jones, Byron Murphy).

Who would've thought.

4 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah it means he could end up being a good player (Marcus Peters), or a solid player (Taylor Rapp), or a complete bust (Kevin King, Sydney Jones, Byron Murphy).

Who would've thought.

King was a bust...I wouldn't call Murphy a bust and think if Gordon has the season Murphy had last year we would be really happy...Jones's career has been slowed by injury but he was one of the very few bright spots on Seattle's D last season...

I would also say Rapp is better than solid...Peters in his prime was also better than just good...even Desmond Trufant was great in ATL before he got banged up...

Elijah Molden played really well for the Titans last year...

Budda Baker is elite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

King was a bust...I wouldn't call Murphy a bust and think if Gordon has the season Murphy had last year we would be really happy...Jones's career has been slowed by injury but he was one of the very few bright spots on Seattle's D last season...

I would also say Rapp is better than solid...Peters in his prime was also better than just good...even Desmond Trufant was great in ATL before he got banged up...

Elijah Molden played really well for the Titans last year...

Budda Baker is elite.

I'm not giving him too credit for Peters since he only played 1 year (8 games) and was good before Lake was there.  If Gordon is anything like Murphy then it's not worth a 2nd round. Jones wasn't good when he was healthy. Rapp has 1 solid year under his belt and has only stayed healthy 1 out of 3.

Again though, the point is, Gordon could end up being anything from a bust to great. Just like any other player in the 2nd.