Bears draft S Jaquan Brisker (Penn State) 48th overall

CBears019

Player Bio

Brisker returned to school in 2021 and garnered second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team all-conference accolades. He started 12 games (64 tackles, career-high six for loss, two interceptions, five pass breakups) before opting out of the team's bowl game to prepare for the NFL draft. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Athletic safety prospect whose versatility and toughness will endear him to coaches during the evaluation process. Brisker continued to pick up elements of the defensive scheme and his play has steadily transformed from hesitant in 2019 to downright instinctive in 2021. He has the versatility to become a moving chess piece in a variety of coverages and has the size and talent to match up with both "Y" and "F" tight ends. He played with a banged-up shoulder in 2021 so his 2020 tape is a clearer indicator of his run support acumen. Brisker is an ascending talent with the NFL traits to become a long-time starter as a Day 2 draft pick.
Strengths
  • NFL safety size with huge hands.
  • Played through pain for much of 2021 season.
  • Versatility to play post, box and slot safety roles.
  • Smooth pedal with limited wasted motion.
  • Trusts his technique.
  • Instincts to find takeaway positioning from any coverage location.
  • Eye balance to read receiver or quarterback to anticipate route.
  • Footwork to adjust to receiver's route bends.
  • Highly capable and tough as an add-on box defender.
  • Attacks and discards perimeter blockers with quickness.
  • Forceful to square, strike and finish as tackler.
Weaknesses
  • Stares down quarterback and loses feel for the route.
  • Drive angles on the throw are a little inconsistent.
  • Recognition of route combinations is average.
  • Climbing blockers find him when maneuvering through the box.
  • Pursuit angles against speed can improve.
  • Inconsistent coming to balance to tackle.
Sources Tell Us

"He's got good size and athletic ability and played with a lot more confidence because you could tell that he understood the game better (in 2021)." -- Area scout for NFC team

This is where Poles lost me...

Doubling down on defense when we need offensive talent was a massive blunder.... and neither pick was addressing the line (black hole @ 3t still exists, and black hole at LT, LG, and RG still exists)

I don't really know much about the player specifically, he wasn't on my board. We simply had too much positional need elsewhere to be making this one.

Good player but I don't care for the selection.

Good size, range, instincts, ball skills, and tackling. High ceiling. Has plenty of experience and should be ready on day 1.  He's probably the most versatile DB in the draft IMO. Can line up anywhere on the field; both high and low safety spots, slot, box, etc. Equally as good in both pass and run.  I expect him and Jackson to rotate field assignments based on formation, down, distance.

The only thing to really worry about is that he gets dinged up a lot.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Danger said:

He's a leader of men, has a nose for the football (always in the right place at the right time), and he's a + athlete.

The guy's the real deal.

I'm totally psyched about this pick. And to get him at #48 is almost criminal. Seems to me the kid has quite a bit of room for improvement, too. He could end up being a cornerstone, household name type of player. 

11 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

First two picks both DBs.  Not loving it.  Lots of OL and WR talent out there, we get a safety.  It was a need, but we could have waited as well.

We needed a safety with one of our first three picks, IMO...so, Brisker works for me. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

The guy's the real deal.

I'm totally psyched about this pick. And to get him at #48 is almost criminal. Seems to me the kid has quite a bit of room for improvement, too. He could end up being a cornerstone, household name type of player. 

Oh for sure. His improvement sine he came to Penn State as a JUCO was stellar.

• Like 1

We had a gaping hole at Safety with only three true S on the roster but will all of the focus on which WR to take and with which pick we all overlooked that little problem including me.

While I agree that we do still have needs elsewhere, with exception of RG we do have most of the other positions covered with a starter or starters.  LCB might also have been seen as being uncovered so both 2nd round picks filled pretty glaring needs.

Last time we drafted a Penn State Safety it was Adrian Amos and he turned out be a very good player for us and now for the Packers.

If Brisker can bring that same level of play or better than obviously this pick will have been worth it.

I say all of this even though I wasn't a huge fan of the pick at the time.

Nothing to do with the talent but more so the position of safety not being of major concern to draft this high.

Still pissed we didn't draft Alec Pierce with this pick but I'll reserve more judgment until we see how Brisker does

• Like 1

Just now, topwop1 said:

Last time we drafted a Penn State Safety it was Adrian Amos and he turned out be a very good player for us and now for the Packers.

If Brisker can bring that same level of play or better than obviously this pick will have been worth it.

I say all of this even though I wasn't a huge fan of the pick at the time.

Nothing to do with the talent but more so the position of safety not being of major concern to draft this high.

Still pissed we didn't draft Alec Pierce with this pick but I'll reserve more judgment until we see how Brisker does

Watching his highlights it kind of reminded me of how Amos played while with the Bears.

• Like 1

I think it's going to be really interesting to see how we use Brisker especially in nickel or dime situations against some teams...I said it when we signed Dane Cruikshanks...these guys can play as almost dime LBs and over the top of TEs & bigger slot recievers...DHC has earned more playing time after last year and could come in to play a deep half...

Base

CB...Johnson

SS...Brisker

FS...Jackson

CB...Gordon

Nickel

CB...Johnson

SS...Brisker

FS...Jackson

NB...Young

CB...Gordon

Big Nickel

CB...Johnson

SS...DHC

FS...Jackson

NB...Briskier

CB...Gordon

Dime

CB...Johnson

NS...Briskier

SS...DHC

FS...Jackson

NB...Young

CB...Gordon

That is a versatile & athletic young group who should be able to match up with a lot of different offensive formations & and personal.