Bears draft S Jaquan Brisker (Penn State) 48th overall

CBears019

On 4/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Good player but I don't care for the selection.

Good size, range, instincts, ball skills, and tackling. High ceiling. Has plenty of experience and should be ready on day 1.  He's probably the most versatile DB in the draft IMO. Can line up anywhere on the field; both high and low safety spots, slot, box, etc. Equally as good in both pass and run.  I expect him and Jackson to rotate field assignments based on formation, down, distance.

The only thing to really worry about is that he gets dinged up a lot.

Same. This is a long term move, so I can see him starting at SS this year and then in 2023 Poles can get the best S regardless if they are SS or FS fits, because Brisker can play either. If they get another versatile piece than the defense can be more creative too.

Clearly he isn't drafting for this season as much as getting his guys for the long haul. Def disappointed by seeing some of the OL and WRs that went in the top 3 rounds go, even with us getting Velus - who I was never really too high on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Same. This is a long term move, so I can see him starting at SS this year and then in 2023 Poles can get the best S regardless if they are SS or FS fits, because Brisker can play either. If they get another versatile piece than the defense can be more creative too.

Clearly he isn't drafting for this season as much as getting his guys for the long haul. Def disappointed by seeing some of the OL and WRs that went in the top 3 rounds go, even with us getting Velus - who I was never really too high on.

I hope Flus does to Brisker/Jackson what Fangio did with Jackson/AMos and hide his coverage schemes by keeping them both on the same side but alternating their assignments. It obviously worked best for Jackson and Brisker can play anyhwhere.

• Like 2

To me this pick signaled that while most people thought after the way pre-draft FA played out Poles would be forced into making certain picks, and he wasn’t. Brisker is a hell of a safety prospect, and while it wasn’t as much a need as WR or OL he was very likely the highest rated overall player on his board. Many fans will hate it, and that’s understandable, but that doesn’t make it a bad pick for improving the whole of the roster. This roster needs talent upgrades all over, and Brisker is certainly that.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I bet every fan base has a video of one of their team's picks calling them the steal of the draft.

Probably. But really, he was a mid 2nd round pick. He should be expected to be a solid starter. Not necessarily immediately, but sooner than later.

Those labels often get handed out way too soon too (as many labels do). 2 years in Eddie Jackson was a legitimate steal of the draft. But long term? 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Good video but man fan bases are so weird. I bet every fan base has a video of one of their team's picks calling them the steal of the draft. So many prospect perverts out there

I like that guy, but lol if he is right in his evaluations any new player that comes to Bears is an all pro in waiting including some of UDFAs. 

On 5/2/2022 at 12:30 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I hope Flus does to Brisker/Jackson what Fangio did with Jackson/AMos and hide his coverage schemes by keeping them both on the same side but alternating their assignments. It obviously worked best for Jackson and Brisker can play anyhwhere.

I haven’t watched Indy much.  Does Flus disguise coverage?  

That tree is more about a keep it simple and execute philosophy.  Which is a sound football philosophy that works most of time.  Nagy’s number one problem in my watching was always execution which encompasses a lot of things as a lot of things go into execution.  Fans and media had it as play calling.

Problem is when you run into a Manning or Brady with time to prepare and they pick you apart knowing exactly where to go based off what you are doing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I haven’t watched Indy much.  Does Flus disguise coverage?  

Not too much, no.  His scheme was relatively basic and simple with a semblance of an old-school defense (think Lovie's T-2).  A ton of zone with a 4-man front, almost never blitzes with 5 or more, is practically married to the cover shell, and dime/quarter formations don't even exists in his playbook. The closest thing to a disguise is showing cover-2 then dropping his safety inside or a LB to play robber/rover and going into a cover 1 or 3 post snap since he loves to run a lot of nickel packages too. Although it's worth noting that he lost Blackmon last year at safety to injury and had to roll with Sendejo (sp?) too and he's old, terrible, and strictly an in box safety. So not much flexibility there either. 

There's pros and cons to this approach/scheme. Relying on a 4 man rush almost exclusively like Flus does puts his front 4 at a big disadvantage in the numbers game (4 vs 5/6 blockers) in exchange for more help in coverage, which in turn helps the secondary (7 vs 5/4).

That said, if JJ continues to grow, Eddie gets his groove back, and Gordon and Brisker live up their draft status then this will be the best secondary he's ever worked with and maybe this will be enough to give Flus more flexibility in the future.  Especially with 2 safeties who have shown the ability to play both safety positions and cover a lot of ground. This is invaluable in today's game.

• Like 2