Bears draft WR Velus Jones (Tennessee) 71st overall

CBears019

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We added a guy with legit 4.3 speed to presumably get schemed touches on YAC plays (something he very obviously can do well with) and to stretch the field in a secondary WR role and who unquestionably diversified the skill set in our WR room, who was the FOURTEENTH WR drafted in this draft, and people are absolutely losing their **** about it before the draft has even ended and wanting to fire our GM because they liked other WRs who also didn’t go in the first dozen WRs in the class better than him. 

I can’t with this fan base sometimes. 

I'm not 100% sure but it might be because they could've had Pickens, Moore or Pierce at 48 and then used 71 on Flott, Cross or Joseph

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not 100% sure but it might be because they could've had Pickens, Moore or Pierce at 48 and then used 71 on Flott, Cross or Joseph

Pickens is apparently a lunatic, and the other two are no less traits guys than Jones is. I would have chosen Moore over Jones. I’ve been down on Pierce all offseason.

Flott, Joseph and Cross are all ranked WAY below Gordon and Brisker by those same publications you’re using to say Moore and Pierce are better than Jones too. 

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

This is hindsight...and not only that we have no idea until these guys actually play if that would be better...

I know everyone wanted to go offence but there is no doubt that secondary need rebuilt this offseason as well and now we have one of the youngest highest potential upside secondaries in the league...Poles was realistic when he said we can't fix everything so fixing that with the highest guys on your board might be the way too go...

We won't know until we see all these guys play.

Something else I think has to be taken into the evaluation of Velus is who was throwing him the ball at Tennessee...he had a good receiving year this year because Hendon Hooker had a strong year but before that the QBs who were trying to throw the ball to him were putrid...it also goes to show that Tennessee has put some decent receiving talent into the NFL recently...

Jauan Jennings was good for the 49ers last year coming up big in some key situation after being a 7th round pick.

Marquez Callaway was productive for the Saints this year after going undrafted.

Josh Palmer was solid for the Chargers after being a 3rd round pick last year.

None of these guys put up big numbers because of how bad the QB play was but can all play at this level. 

6 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Same. He’d be the bears all time leading receiver by over 1000 yards lol 

Which only goes to show how bad our WRs have been...no impact on this dude...

Chris Carter, Andre Reed, Steve Largent, Brandon Marshall, Antonio Brown, Charlie Joiner, Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, Rod Smith, Keenan McCardell & Donald Driver...

All players in the Top 50 in all time receiving yards who went after Velus...is he going to become any of these guys? Probably not...did anyone expect any of these guys to become these guys? Definitely not...talent comes from everywhere in the NFL...just need to let this guy play then we will know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pickens is apparently a lunatic, and the other two are no less traits guys than Jones is. I would have chosen Moore over Jones. I’ve been down on Pierce all offseason.

Flott, Joseph and Cross are all ranked WAY below Gordon and Brisker by those same publications you’re using to say Moore and Pierce are better than Jones too. 

There's a reason those guys went before Jones, though. If Pickens is good enough for the Steelers and Moore is good enough for the Chiefs, I trust those organizations muuuch more than I do this one. It's not the Gordon pick I'm pissed about, although I'm not thrilled about it either. It's the Brisker pick. Did they really need a safety at 48? It seems like an odd time for the organization to address that position higher than they have in 16 years.

Again, I may look like an idiot one day when he's a Pro Bowler and Pickens is incarcerated, but I'm just sick of watching good defense and crappy offense. It's going to take a huge leap by 5-7 guys (aka not going to happen) for the offense to be better than bottom third of the league.

Edited by beardown3231

At this point, I think we just have to be happy the Bears added a position of need with a pick in the first three rounds. It remains to be seen whether they can evaluate talent or not, at this point they get the benefit of the doubt. None of us worked this kid out or interviewed him, or any of the other prospects, I'm sure there's a reason that he was the pick. Now, that reason could be that our staff is actually incompetent, but that remains to be seen.

12 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Maybe he will know how to run north-south instead of east-south-west

YRK.gif

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I find it a little strange that they want so staunchly BPA in round 2 and then by most accounts made a major reach for need in round 3.

I am fine with the Jones pick, at least it helps Fields, but it is getting straight up panned right now.

It is? 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I find it strange how every Bears fan making fun of the Packers for once again not taking a WR in round 1 are praising Poles for addressing the secondary in round 2

What a fan base

Well, when you trade away a top three receiver and then go defense with your first two picks (in a receiver-heavy draft), it is kind of confusing, I'd say.

And the Bears still have Mooney. They're counting on him to be the guy, 

44 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

There's a reason those guys went before Jones, though. If Pickens is good enough for the Steelers and Moore is good enough for the Chiefs, I trust those organizations muuuch more than I do this one. It's not the Gordon pick I'm pissed about, although I'm not thrilled about it either. It's the Brisker pick. Did they really need a safety at 48? It seems like an odd time for the organization to address that position higher than they have in 16 years.

I would say--YES!!! Particularly if that safety is Brisker. Safety was the weakest position group on the team. 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I find it strange how every Bears fan making fun of the Packers for once again not taking a WR in round 1 are praising Poles for addressing the secondary in round 2

What a fan base

After the second round I was thinking we were like the Packers in not getting help for the QB.

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I would say--YES!!! Particularly if that safety is Brisker. Safety was the weakest position group on the team. 

I would respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree here. I know you hate Jackson but the other safeties were somewhat serviceable. CB was a wasteland and offensive line was embarrassingly bad. Safety wasn't great but those other position groups were juco bad.

Just now, Bigbear72 said:

I would respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree here. I know you hate Jackson but the other safeties were somewhat serviceable. CB was a wasteland and offensive line was embarrassingly bad. Safety wasn't great but those other position groups were juco bad.

I'd counter that argument by saying after a really bad start, Jaylen Johnson turned his season around and played pretty darn well. That alone elevates the CB group in my eyes. (Takes it out of the "wasteland" range, in other words.) I also think Graham showed promise.

I think Jenkins and Borom finished out the season very well, and that their futures are bright.

I like Gipson quite a bit. Houston-Carson and Bush are decent. No denying that. But when you factor in Jackson, I'd say that makes it all the weakest group. 

We'll agree to disagree. But I'd be willing to be that by the end of this season you will be quite happy about the Brisker pick. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd counter that argument by saying after a really bad start, Jaylen Johnson turned his season around and played pretty darn well. That alone elevates the CB group in my eyes. (Takes it out of the "wasteland" range, in other words.) I also think Graham showed promise.

I think Jenkins and Borom finished out the season very well, and that their futures are bright.

I like Gipson quite a bit. Houston-Carson and Bush are decent. No denying that. But when you factor in Jackson, I'd say that makes it all the weakest group. 

We'll agree to disagree. But I'd be willing to be that by the end of this season you will be quite happy about the Brisker pick. 

I really like JJ but that was only 1/3 of the CBs on the field and all of them outside of flashes by Graham were absolutely abysmal. There was also nothing serviceable behind them.

Again you are blaming (as I just highlighted) the entire safety group based off of the play on one safety but are giving credit to the entire CB group based off of one CB. Your argument sounds like it is more emotionally based rather than factually based. Your real, and possibly more valid argument is that in your eyes JACKSON was the weakest part of the defense, though I would rather have him starting still then Vildor.

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think this is the proper perspective for this pick. He has tools that unquestionably play in the NFL. If we use him in a way that utilizes them effectively then the pick is fine.

People’s angst with this pick is more based on where people thought he’d be drafted than anything else. If people heard “Bears drafted a WR in R3 who’s 5’11” 205 lb with 4.31 speed who had 807 receiving yards and 7 TD in the SEC last year, might be the best KR in this draft and is a gunner in punt coverage” but without a name or pre-draft grade tagged to attached to the prospect, how many people would be pissed about the pick? I’m guessing not too many. 

Bravo.....well said and also convenient since I no longer have a need to post something similar.

Like a few others my initial take was WTF but I can see now there's more to this guy than meets the eye.  This kid has some Devin Hester like tools but he can actually catch.  This is the guy who could cause Getsy to dust off Mike Tice's "Hester Package" and actually make it work.

I was hoping for more of a "tool time" type WR which to me is where Shakir would have been a nice fit but Jones is far more of a "weapons" type all around football player.  Someone with his size and speed running those crossing and drag routes like GB did so effectively could bust a few very long gains.