Bears draft WR Velus Jones (Tennessee) 71st overall

CBears019

What I saw out of that game clip (thanks for posting btw) was a guy who needs improvement in his route running consistency (there were some good ones in there but others he rounded off or that looked sloppy) but who’s both explosive and decisive (an underrated quality IMO) once the ball is in his hands.

I always wonder when I see receivers only running a few different routes if it’s because they can’t run them effectively or if the scheme just doesn’t use them. TEN’s scheme in that game seemed SUPER basic to me. That’s not to say that it was holding back Jones from showing more - just that it makes it more of an unknown to us who only get to see what he can do in the situations in which he was put. 

One of the things I like about grabbing guys that were also returners on their team is they are (seemingly) better with the ball in their hands in open space. They’re used to chaos around them and need to have good vision to know where to go with the ball. I think (hope) we see that with vjj 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

One of the things I like about grabbing guys that were also returners on their team is they are (seemingly) better with the ball in their hands in open space. They’re used to chaos around them and need to have good vision to know where to go with the ball. I think (hope) we see that with vjj 

I would agree with this. The also usually have strong hands and are good at protecting the ball too.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

What I saw out of that game clip (thanks for posting btw) was a guy who needs improvement in his route running consistency (there were some good ones in there but others he rounded off or that looked sloppy) but who’s both explosive and decisive (an underrated quality IMO) once the ball is in his hands.

I always wonder when I see receivers only running a few different routes if it’s because they can’t run them effectively or if the scheme just doesn’t use them. TEN’s scheme in that game seemed SUPER basic to me. That’s not to say that it was holding back Jones from showing more - just that it makes it more of an unknown to us who only get to see what he can do in the situations in which he was put. 

I think for Jones it's more due to his position within the scheme and his skill set not being fit to play outside. For example, outside receivers are going to play against press coverage more often than the slot, while the slot is often given more lax coverage. This fits him perfectly because he's not very good at fighting off press coverage (look at how low his hands are when set at the LOS) but has a quick first step that can be used in space.

11 hours ago, dafreak said:

VJ was obviously not drafted to be a #1, he is a piece to help Fields this year. I suspect next year will be the year we see Poles load up on weapons. He has his eye on someone, no doubt.

I was doing my early long list of prospects for 2023 & I have 27 WRs who are draftable & fit the type of skill set we could be looking for & who I personally like so a lot of guys left off that list...27 guys...if we thought this years draft class was deep next years could be sensational...

The TE class is also way better than last year...especially for TEs who fit this scheme more as "F" types.

Edited by Madmike90

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think for Jones it's more due to his position within the scheme and his skill set not being fit to play outside. For example, outside receivers are going to play against press coverage more often than the slot, while the slot is often given more lax coverage. This fits him perfectly because he's not very good at fighting off press coverage (look at how low his hands are when set at the LOS) but has a quick first step that can be used in space.

I fully expect that’ll be how we will deploy him most of the time. I think he’s going to be in the slot, in motion or a back receiver in a bunch set the vast majority of the time. Set him up to succeed. In that role I think he’s equipped to give us something right out of the gate. 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:47 PM, AZBearsFan said:

I think this is the best way to describe it...the more I watch it the more obvious it is that the talent is there...just he wasn't asked to do a ton of the traditional route tree because he could be used in so many different ways...the fact he graded so well in creating separation & YAC just further shows that...

If you want to get excited about his route running potential check out his route against Purdue at 4:35 in the below video...it's as good as it gets...

(51) Velus Jones Jr 2021 Highlights | Tennessee WR | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

On 5/7/2022 at 8:47 AM, AZBearsFan said:

I think its because TN offense and QB were not sophisticated or passing game wasn't.   

Can't and didn't are two different things, but if he simply wasn't taught it amounts to same thing for time being until he learns it.

He looks like he has good hands to me.  Sounds like a smart guy.   Definitely good with ball in his hands.   These things bode well.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I think its because TN offense and QB were not sophisticated or passing game wasn't.   

Can't and didn't are two different things, but if he simply wasn't taught it amounts to same thing for time being until he learns it.

He looks like he has good hands to me.  Sounds like a smart guy.   Definitely good with ball in his hands.   These things bode well.

I agree they should bode well. He has the physical tools and at least seems to be dedicated to the craft like a pro should be (or at least that’s what’s being pushed our way). If it’s just a matter of learning technique, how long does something like that take? Even if you assume he had none (probably not the case) we should probably assume he’s been working technique during draft prep a whole lot already since teams would have wanted to see how raw he is or is not at pre-draft visits and what not while grading him. He was at USC for 4 years too behind some fully legit NFL WRs in Juju Smith-Schuster, Michael Pittman Jr., Amon-Ra St. Brown and Drake London (why didn’t he see the field a ton at USC again? 🤔). He was getting that same coaching there that those guys were.

• Like 1

https://www.dabearsblog.com/2022/velus-jones-jr-post

As the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft rolled along, there were receivers available for the Chicago Bears. The Packers moved up – something Ryan Poles was NOT going to do – for Christian Watson. Many fans were calling for George Pickens, a player one scout called “a turd” during a text conversation with DBB. Many thought Skyy Moore’s route running prowess could catapult him into the back end of round one, where several WR-needy clubs resided. It did not.

The truth is that while many were calling this draft deep at wide receiver, the Bears (and several other clubs) didn’t particularly agree with that assessment. They rated Wilson, Williams, and Olave highly, the latter being their top player at the position. They liked the polish of Dotson and thought Burks might have the highest upside in the class. But they knew they were not in play for any of those players, and saw the gap between that group and the next group as cavernous.

Poles, with significant input from Luke Getsy, turned his attention to Velus Jones Jr. – the rare third-round receiver this brass believes can make an immediate impact on the football team. Why? Because Jones fits a specific role in this offense and is already well-accomplished in that role. What is that role?

First, he’s just a good receiver. From Jacob Infante over at WCG:

Jones broke out from a receiving production perspective in 2021, when he tallied 62 receptions, 807 yards and 7 touchdowns for the Volunteers. He proved to be a reliable kick returner over the course of his collegiate career, returning 2 kicks back for touchdowns and averaging 24.4 yards per return during his time in both Tennessee and USC.

There are concerns with Jones’ profile, turning 25 years old in May and not having an incredibly refined skillset as a route runner. That said, he’s a tremendous YAC threat with 4.31 speed, the lateral agility needed to change direction and make defenders miss, along with a powerful frame that allows him to shed would-be tacklers in the open field.

Second, there are two elements the Bears want to be hallmarks of their new offense: a diverse rushing attack and a quick, timing passing game. Jones projects to be a key aspect of both.

In the run game, he’ll be in constant motion and his speed will demand attention on the jet sweep. When he’s a decoy, his pre-snap motion will have inside backers cheating to the outside while David Montgomery and Khalil Herbert tear up the middle of the field.

In the pass game, the Bears know they won’t have the luxury of long pockets for Justin Fields. All of their work with him this off-season has been centered around cleaning up his mechanics to quicken his delivery. (This is something the previous regime should have done last summer but why bother when you have Andrew Dalton.) Jones is primarily a bubble screen/quick slant guy; a player who is most lethal with the football in his hands. But his speed can also potentially wreak havoc over the top in the play action game, a well-documented strength of the young quarterback.

(And for those concerned with his age, who cares? If the Bears are facing the difficult decision of having to pay top money to a 29-year-old, that means the pick was a raging success.)

Folks might view Jones as a project when projecting him incorrectly. The Bears have no intention of asking him to be anything more than he’s already shown he can be. And that role, in this offense, is absolutely essential. Poles still needs to flesh out this receiving corps and find another starter (or two). But you don’t pass on what you view as perfect scheme fit because the positional cupboard was left barren by the previous guys in charge.

Jones is not Devin Hester, the return man. Nobody ever will be again. But he’s a great return man AND an accomplished, polished weapon. He should be productive on day one in the NFL, giving the Bears two things they have sorely lacked in previous seasons: speed and explosiveness. He’s a major reason to be excited about what the 2022 Chicago can accomplish on the offensive side of the ball.

• Like 1

I feel bad for Pickens.   He basically has been publicly outed as an *** of a person to millions of people and it cost him a lot of money as he wasn't drafted commensurate with his talent.

Gotta be a tough time on psyche.  Kind of like largest intervention ever; "Wait a minute.  You all feel this way about me?"  

Hopefully he gets better from it as a person and not angry.