🏈 Raiders select with pick #90: G Dylan Parham

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I really think that Kolton Miller at LT is the only player who is guaranteed to start. 

Eluemenor, Good, or Leatherwood could start at either OG spot or RT

Simpson could start at either OG spot

Parham could start at either OG spot or C

James could start at C 

Parker could start at RT

So we basically have a four man battle for RT, five man battle for both OG spots, and a two man battle at center. 

Ideally we start Miller-Parham-James-Good-Mr. Leatherwood. That means James and Mr. Leatherwood progressed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ideally we start Miller-Parham-James-Good-Mr. Leatherwood. That means James and Mr. Leatherwood progressed. 

10 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’d say 

Miller-parham-James-leather-Parker 

Meh I think the lineup RoJo posted: Miller-Parham-James-Good-Leatherwood is probably the best case scenario considering the pieces that we currently have on the OL. Primarily because if that's our starting 5 then it likely means that Parham lived up to his draft status and Leatherwood took a pretty significant leap forward. Having the kid we just drafted #17 overall at OG again means he's probably headed towards being a bust, imo. And if he can improve and hold it down at RT we should be set at OT for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’d say 

Miller-parham-James-leather-Parker 

Wouldn't it be better with Leatherwood on the left and Parham on the right? I thought someone said his footwork looked uncomfortable as he played LT a lot.

22 minutes ago, G said:

Wouldn't it be better with Leatherwood on the left and Parham on the right? I thought someone said his footwork looked uncomfortable as he played LT a lot.

Leatherwood played RG as a sophomore and then LT as a junior/senior. He was significantly better at LT then he was at RG in college. I think it's kind of a lot to ask him to switch sides again, especially inside where he struggled last year. Just my opinion but the fact that we drafted a guard early, retained Good/Eluemunor, and signed Mays, I think the staff is going to give Leatherwood the first crack at being our starting RT. 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Leatherwood played RG as a sophomore and then LT as a junior/senior. He was significantly better at LT then he was at RG in college. I think it's kind of a lot to ask him to switch sides again, especially inside where he struggled last year. Just my opinion but the fact that we drafted a guard early, retained Good/Eluemunor, and signed Mays, I think the staff is going to give Leatherwood the first crack at being our starting RT. 

Its really the only logical way to go about it IMO. You give the kid in year two every chance to show hes improved and can hold down the more valuable position, simply because there was more invested in him than anyone else on the line not named Miller. Now the fact it wasnt this front office or staff who did the investing does make it more likely they would be willing to play him inside or even move on a year from new if he's flat out terrible or something, but you still give the young kid every chance to earn the starting OT spot. I would argue Good may be more steady (depending on the injury) but hes older and a lower ceiling type of player and Parker isnt the guy you rush to get on the field if enough guys can play well enough to make him the swing tackle.

Leatherwood was a total reach by Gruden and Mayock, but I still am excited to see what he can do this year. I still think he can be a solid starting RT IMO. Im not saying he will be, but I do think theres reason for optimism. There has been more than a few guys that have had brutal rookie years (and all the injuries to the OL as a whole didnt help matters at all with the OL being so dependent IMO on chemistry and communication) and taken big steps in year two and three. This coaching staff wont be married to playing AL anywhere because he isnt "their" guy, but they still know what would be the most beneficial to the team if he can show he's earned the starting RT spot. 

I would guess the starting OL is Miller-Parham-James-Good-Leatherwood, but there is also like a handful of other lineups that could end up being the starting OL depending on who plays best. Parham may not be ready to start week one, but I have read a ton of positives that lead me to believe he absolutely could win one on the interior spots. The OL is going to be the spot with the most questions in terms of who starts and how well the unit will be able to perform starting in camp through the regular season. If Parham can play at a solid rookie level interior player (easier to find those that succeed early than tackles), Leatherwood can win the RT spot and play even at an average level, and James shows us that the second half of the season is what we should expect of him, this OL could actually be really solid. However I cant say any of those things are something I would say I am confident WILL happen but none of them are outlandish either. It will certainly be interesting to watch it unfold

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This 💯 minus the leatherwood at rt part lol but olinemen who struggle need consistency dude played 85% at rg in the nfl…leave him there. Trying to get him to learn a new position with new technique imo is a death sentence. Same with Parker. Not to mention the chemistry they developed last year. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh I think the lineup RoJo posted: Miller-Parham-James-Good-Leatherwood is probably the best case scenario considering the pieces that we currently have on the OL. Primarily because if that's our starting 5 then it likely means that Parham lived up to his draft status and Leatherwood took a pretty significant leap forward. Having the kid we just drafted #17 overall at OG again means he's probably headed towards being a bust, imo. And if he can improve and hold it down at RT we should be set at OT for the foreseeable future. 

Best case scenario yes. But in reality I don’t agree. Hell most of y’all were satisfied if he developed into a good guard. 

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This 💯 minus the leatherwood at rt part lol but olinemen who struggle need consistency dude played 85% at rg in the nfl…leave him there. Trying to get him to learn a new position with new technique imo is a death sentence. Same with Parker. Not to mention the chemistry they developed last year. 

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Best case scenario yes. But in reality I don’t agree. Hell most of y’all were satisfied if he developed into a good guard. 

Kolton Miller was getting cooked like BBQ chicken as a rookie, IIRC he allowed the most sacks by an OT in NFL history. Leatherwood was good at Alabama, consensus All-American, and won the Outland Trophy. Plus he's one of the most athletic OT in NFL draft history, dude just needs to stop watching anime and train.

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kolton Miller was getting cooked like BBQ chicken as a rookie, IIRC he allowed the most sacks by an OT in NFL history. Leatherwood was good at Alabama, consensus All-American, and won the Outland Trophy. Plus he's one of the most athletic OT in NFL draft history, dude just needs to stop watching anime and train.

Kolt didn’t get moved tho …as bad as he was his good flashes kept him starting 

Dylan Parham played RG recently. I don't really get why everyone puts him at LG...I get that ideally we want a veteran at RG next to Leatherwood...

Also Parham's best spot is at OC. Andre James never showed anything to me, which makes me give him that OC job. 

I would like to see a fair fight between Parham and James for that OC spot. If Parham is as good or better then James the role should be his.

If James can keep his OC spot, I will start to worry some about Parham's future I guess...

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 4:54 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Kolt didn’t get moved tho …as bad as he was his good flashes kept him starting 

Kolton didn't get moved because he had discussed how moving from LT to RT back to LT was an issue for him in college. We had invested such a high pick into him that we were willing to roll with a rookie Brandon Parker at RT instead of moving him. Carr was sacked 51 times (career high) and our run game was about on par with what it was this past season with Miller at LT.

Leatherwood started all 17 games as a rookie as well, what really screwed us though was we lost Good/Richie immediately to start the season so the staff probably just felt that Parker at RT with Leatherwood at RG was a better option then someone like Simpson at RG. 

16 hours ago, Rolni said:

Dylan Parham played RG recently. I don't really get why everyone puts him at LG...I get that ideally we want a veteran at RG next to Leatherwood...

Also Parham's best spot is at OC. Andre James never showed anything to me, which makes me give him that OC job. 

I would like to see a fair fight between Parham and James for that OC spot. If Parham is as good or better then James the role should be his.

If James can keep his OC spot, I will start to worry some about Parham's future I guess...

I wouldn't mind Parham at RG with his mean streak, could help Leatherwood at RT just like Richie helped Miller. I think where Parham starts will really depend on how they feel about other players. If they don't like our guard options he's probably an OG, if they like our guard options he's probably starting at center.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't Carr do well early on with a strong interior?!? Oso, Hud, Jax?!? Miller is our best so leave him alone but what about making the line the next best inside 3 with Parham at C, Leatherwood at LG and Good at RG. We've thrown dogfood out at RT before and been good enough. Solidify the interior so we have a powerful run game, gives Carr time from inside pressure and Miller will be excellent at protecting his blindside and then Carr has a solid 4 with only 1 worry. Honestly I'd have no problem with Parker at LT and Miller at RT as Miller has been paid and was a good RT in college and Parker's best work came on the left side.  Then if he dominates and gets a HUGE contract else where we can either move Miller back of try Leatherwood on his natural side.

Miller is a good LT but if he's as good or better RT and the LT replacement is better there then it's a no brainer IMO. 

• Like 1