With the 86th pick the Titans select QB Malik Willis

615finest

8 hours ago, KingTitan said:

No, it's not really a winning formula in today's game and it's definitely not pretty. 
But something that McNair did do in the playoffs was win more than not.

In the 4 playoff years with the Titans he only went winless once.  

I'm just saying I can see a career for Willis where the passing numbers aren't sexy, but we win because of him making money plays. 

And if that leads to playoff victories then I'll take it. 

He won but his post season stats are mediocre at best. Ryan tannehill has won in the playoffs as a titan, but has he gotten us over the hump 🤔 

Bottom line is the exact things people have issues with with Tannehill are glaring faults with Willis.  Pocket presence and decision making.  Tannehill is far better right now for accuracy.  In the NFL you have tighter windows and superior defenders.  Willis isn't going to get around NFL DEs like he does in college (defenses will make sure he stays in the pocket).  Sure Willis has a nice arm (so does Tannehill) is decent on long throws (so is Tannehill) but Willis hardly ever threw the ball over the middle.  If Willis started this year we would be lucky to crack 500 and that is only because we could win games like we did with VY.  Defense, running game and Willis making a few plays with his legs.  

With that said he was worth the 86th pick.  He is a couple of years away so stop with the hype and Tannehill sucks.  Tannehill might look like best QB in the NFL in comparison early on.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:14 PM, KingTitan said:

No, it's not really a winning formula in today's game and it's definitely not pretty. 
But something that McNair did do in the playoffs was win more than not.

In the 4 playoff years with the Titans he only went winless once.  

I'm just saying I can see a career for Willis where the passing numbers aren't sexy, but we win because of him making money plays. 

And if that leads to playoff victories then I'll take it. 

You really debunk your argument in the first sentence.  It isn't a winning formula in todays game.  You might win some ugly games against lower tier teams but when we play the better teams, especially in the playoffs it is highly unlikely we can pull it off.  That is when you need a QB that can step up. 

McNair only gets credit for one loss in 2000 because he lost the first game.  A big part of that was because he couldn't make a short throw to George accurately.  He also got outplayed against the Bills and was bailed out by a miracle kick return.  Against the Colts he threw for 112 yards and George ran for 162.  McNair only had 112 yards passing against the Jags.  

8 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Bottom line is the exact things people have issues with with Tannehill are glaring faults with Willis.  Pocket presence and decision making.  Tannehill is far better right now for accuracy.  In the NFL you have tighter windows and superior defenders.  Willis isn't going to get around NFL DEs like he does in college (defenses will make sure he stays in the pocket).  Sure Willis has a nice arm (so does Tannehill) is decent on long throws (so is Tannehill) but Willis hardly ever threw the ball over the middle.  If Willis started this year we would be lucky to crack 500 and that is only because we could win games like we did with VY.  Defense, running game and Willis making a few plays with his legs.  

With that said he was worth the 86th pick.  He is a couple of years away so stop with the hype and Tannehill sucks.  Tannehill might look like best QB in the NFL in comparison early on.  

Trust me on this he will be able to get around NFL DE’s like he did in college that is a skill set you can’t teach, look at all the mobile QB’s that dominate running in college and they come into the league doing the exact same thing, why because the NFL DE’s were once college DE’s the game is still the same, only change is game speed, player strength  & coverages. Willis accuracy is inconsistent only because he’s late on throws due to processing, & progression. I honestly think he’s a 2yr project. Arm talent is there, the intangibles is there. His mechanics & pocket awareness are behind & needs coaching & refine.

I think he looks better in camp but they make him the 3rd string to stroke Ryans ego then around week 15 Malik gonna be dressed and have a package to make def think more heading into the playoffs boom 

8 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

I think he looks better in camp but they make him the 3rd string to stroke Ryans ego then around week 15 Malik gonna be dressed and have a package to make def think more heading into the playoffs boom 

I don’t think he gets a start this yr, they may sprinkle in a few design plays here & there like to create a spark on offense, but I doubt he touches the field this yr, he’s a project. 

1 hour ago, renndawg37 said:

Do you guys think Woodside makes the team? 

i'd be very surprised if he doesn't. if willis takes the QB2 spot right off the bat that would be hugely encouraging, but i don't expect it at all. woodside has too much experience in this system and willis is just so raw.

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i'd be very surprised if he doesn't. if willis takes the QB2 spot right off the bat that would be hugely encouraging, but i don't expect it at all. woodside has too much experience in this system and willis is just so raw.

That’s my thinking. Willis is QB3 to start the season, unless he’s moving way faster in his development than he should.

5 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

Do you guys think Woodside makes the team? 

Yes I believe he's QB 2 for the entire year. 

Baring injury my hope is Willis doesn't see the field at all. in my eyes there is nothing to gain from playing him early. there is a lot to lose though. let him sit the entire year and learn. 

On 5/28/2022 at 2:22 PM, Soxcat said:

You really debunk your argument in the first sentence.  It isn't a winning formula in todays game.  You might win some ugly games against lower tier teams but when we play the better teams, especially in the playoffs it is highly unlikely we can pull it off.  That is when you need a QB that can step up. 

McNair only gets credit for one loss in 2000 because he lost the first game.  A big part of that was because he couldn't make a short throw to George accurately.  He also got outplayed against the Bills and was bailed out by a miracle kick return.  Against the Colts he threw for 112 yards and George ran for 162.  McNair only had 112 yards passing against the Jags.  

It was just a comment not a hill to die on. 
Obviously I want him better than McNair. 
I also think if McNair played for a different coach/system, he would have grew differently, especially in today's game.

But nonetheless....I was just saying I can see Willis having some McNair like games/seasons if he gets the job and I'm saying it wouldn't be the worst thing from an 3rd round pick.  Also, that isn't my target for a QB.  Obviously I'd want a 4000-4500 yard passer with 30-40 TDs. 

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

It was just a comment not a hill to die on. 
Obviously I want him better than McNair. 
I also think if McNair played for a different coach/system, he would have grew differently, especially in today's game.

But nonetheless....I was just saying I can see Willis having some McNair like games/seasons if he gets the job and I'm saying it wouldn't be the worst thing from an 3rd round pick.  Also, that isn't my target for a QB.  Obviously I'd want a 4000-4500 yard passer with 30-40 TDs. 

Steve McNair back then is also at best a similar athlete to what Ryan Tannehill is now, though. Probably less of one if im being honest. 

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Steve McNair back then is also at best a similar athlete to what Ryan Tannehill is now, though. Probably less of one if im being honest. 

I agree, McNair more speed & wiggle but Tannehill in his prime was a damn good WR

On 5/28/2022 at 3:26 PM, TitanRedd said:

Trust me on this he will be able to get around NFL DE’s like he did in college that is a skill set you can’t teach, look at all the mobile QB’s that dominate running in college and they come into the league doing the exact same thing, why because the NFL DE’s were once college DE’s the game is still the same, only change is game speed, player strength  & coverages. Willis accuracy is inconsistent only because he’s late on throws due to processing, & progression. I honestly think he’s a 2yr project. Arm talent is there, the intangibles is there. His mechanics & pocket awareness are behind & needs coaching & refine.

I guess if Willis played for Bama or Ohio State I'd have a little more confidence in what he might be able to do.  He wasn't exactly balling against guys that are now in the NFL playing for Liberty.  But my main point is we are all hopeful his anticipation and getting the ball out to the right guy accurately is something he can do.  Realistically many QBs simply can't so we can't assume anything.  Not sure about the "intangibles".  Again, an assumption and this idea he will be a baller late in the game like McNair was is a hope.  Can he feel the game and rise to the occasion?  We simply don't know.  Again, he isn't even close to the prospect Mariota was and look how that turned out.  

Edited by Soxcat