With the 86th pick the Titans select QB Malik Willis

615finest

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

even watching the short cutup from the senior bowl i was like man, this guy hangs onto the ball forever lol. that's certainly shades of deshaun watson though, and we know kelly and o'hara have dealt with that before. so hopefully they can work a little magic.

and ultimately, the thing is, if willis doesn't work out, a late 3rd is a price i'm willing to pay.

For sure. The upside is so high that I’m more than happy to toss a late third down on a lottery ticket. Seems to be a good guy, good teammate, physical traits are incredible. There’s a ton to work with. But the coaching staff has their work cut out for them.

Nobody should be calling for him to start over Tannehill at any point this year. He needs, at a minimum, a full year of drills and film. Maybe some work in some red zone packages. 

But man, if he hits…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

Oh yeah his bad plays are really bad. Like not worthy of being drafted bad. I just hope the fan base doesn't start calling for him to start at any point this season if RT starts to struggle

That’s going to be the tough thing. Because RT is very likely to start to struggle. We’re giving him a bad OL and one receiver that has shown anything in the NFL. It’s unfair to Tanny, but we’re setting him up to struggle and a huge portion of the fan base will probably call for his head when the offense is below average. But he has to start all year.

13 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

That’s going to be the tough thing. Because RT is very likely to start to struggle. We’re giving him a bad OL and one receiver that has shown anything in the NFL. It’s unfair to Tanny, but we’re setting him up to struggle and a huge portion of the fan base will probably call for his head when the offense is below average. But he has to start all year.

frankly, my worry is that tannehill gets injured behind the absolute trash OL we're putting in front of him and we don't have a choice lol

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

frankly, my worry is that tannehill gets injured behind the absolute trash OL we're putting in front of him and we don't have a choice lol

There is that. If we go Lewan-Brewer-Jones-Davis-Radunz with Woods and NWI outside and Burks in the slot, I’m not sure Tannehill survives 17 games.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

There is that. If we go Lewan-Brewer-Jones-Davis-Radunz with Woods and NWI outside and Burks in the slot, I’m not sure Tannehill survives 17 games.

such pessimism...

I don;t think the line will be bad at all. Radunz has talent, with a full offseason for him to get stronger and acclimate I expect him to improve exponentially over last year and be ready to start at guard or tackle. This team should still run the football well and base their passing game off play action. They're basically trying to recreate 2019. This is going to be the Derrick Henry show again with a young talented rookie WR and tannehill playing game manager and hitting on play action over the middle. That team also had two new olineman including a rookie. That team almost made the SuperBowl. What the FO sees is simple. Hope your expensive defense is top 5 calibur, Derrick Henry is still King and oline gels over time,(Keith Carter has made some chicken salad over the years) and you've found a dynamic young WR. That outlook might sound unobtainable, but it was literally reality for this team 3 years ago. ANd theres no reason to think this team can't replicate it or something similar.

I want to see a competitive team that gets better over the course of the year and is humming by January with a shot at the playoffs. At this point I don't see why that cant be realistic for this team, even if we lost AJ Brown. Teams evolve. Now if we go in the gutter this fall, I'll be front center with the pitch forks. But I don't think this roster just got bad all of a sudden just because we lost AJ Brown.

Edited by Chocolateman78
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, titans0021 said:

For sure. The upside is so high that I’m more than happy to toss a late third down on a lottery ticket. Seems to be a good guy, good teammate, physical traits are incredible. There’s a ton to work with. But the coaching staff has their work cut out for them.

Nobody should be calling for him to start over Tannehill at any point this year. He needs, at a minimum, a full year of drills and film. Maybe some work in some red zone packages. 

But man, if he hits…

This is pretty much my take. I wasn't really gunning for Willis in this draft, and I was extremely skeptical of him as a first rounder, but I would have been happy with him at 35, much less at 86. The pick has so much upside that you just can't knock it for the price, no matter the result. Would've personally preferred Ridder at 35 because I'm more of a believer in his skillset translating, but if Willis develops, the upside is definitely higher. The fact that we're not going to ask him to start right away makes me extremely comfortable with the situation fitting what he needs. Extremely happy with this. 

probably worth bringing up JT o'sullivan's youtube channel, the QB school. he has a *ton* of film studies of every QB in the draft class, including 5 or 6 games of malik willis. he's actually very high on willis and ranked him pretty comfortably as his QB1, if you need some optimism in your life rn lol. funnily enough i watched several of the ridder/howell ones in the lead-up to the draft but none of the willis videos because i didn't think there was any chance we were taking him. https://www.youtube.com/c/TheQBSchool/videos

Edited by -Hope-

This was an excellent pick. The possibility of getting a franchise QB at 86 is there, you have to jump on it. Especially when your quarterbacks are Ryan Tannehill and Logan Woodside. 

Willis is easily my favourite QB in this draft. His upside is massive. 

8 hours ago, -Hope- said:

I don’t think the OL will be trash. NPF wasn’t the best player there imo, but remember he was a fringe first rounder to a lot of people before the offseason started.

If the plan is Radunz at LG, and he shows half the improvement over the offseason that he showed during last season, he’ll be an adequate player.

Lewan and Jones are older, but they’re very good players.

Davis has RG locked down.

Then NPF should be at least passable as a RT. With Jamarco Jones and Aaron Brewer as other options on the interior, that’s not that bad a group. Hell, if one of them pushes, we may get the better of Radunz and NPF at RT with the other as swing.

20 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Boy shaking now 🤣🤣🤣

Eh, I don’t think Tanny is too worried. He knows, like everyone else, that Willis isn’t ready to start, and probably needs at least a year, when Tanny’s time would be up anyway if he doesn’t put on a great season.

If he puts up a great season, then he knows his job is safe anyway. Late third rounder isn’t going to push him until he struggles.

Edited by Daniel