With the 47th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Commanders select Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama

MikeT14

6'4" 310 lbs

Pre-Draft Analysis

Mathis has the long arms to lock out blockers. He locates the ball, quickly sheds and explodes to and through ball carriers. He made significant strides as a pass-rusher and showed better closing burst to the quarterback in 2021 than he did earlier in his career. Mathis wins with quickness, powerful hands and great finishing effort. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis

This doesn't appear to be a pressing need for Washington, but Mathis represents a potential replacement for 2018 first-round pick Daron Payne, who is going into the final year of his contract. -- Muench

5POS RK
57OVR RK
83GRADE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I don't like it because you are bringing this guy in and he has to be better or equal to Da'Ron Payne and anything less is seen as a failure. Way too much pressure on this guy

I mean but if we’re moving on we were going to be putting that pressure on someone. But they need to get value for Payne. Franchise and trade next offseason you can’t do the KC Schreff game. We all would have probably had a different preference on which IDL we like but this guy is a well rounded football player with really good tools. These Georgia guys physically are just so good this guys falling because that defense just had every player at a a position with elite level traits

• Like 2

At first I was like, what? After I did some homework, I like the pick. 6’4, 310 lbs & 9 sacks as an interior pass rusher is hard to ignore. I can easily see him replacing what we lost in Ioannidis/Settle & then we have Daniel Wise as well. So, our DT depth chart should be complete.

• Like 1

This is a pick that Ron will have to be responsible for. The idea that we shouldn't resign Payne or at least try is ridiculous. The idea of letting your quality 1st round picks just walk for nothing isn't something Super Bowl winning teams do. So as said Ron will have to take responsibility for letting Matt, Settle, and Possibly Payne go for nothing. 

While Mathis may produce at DT the Need for a DT was only there after our HC made the decision to make that position weak. 

They definitely could've/should've went Dean at this pick to fill a Need at LB. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DCNative said:

This is a pick that Ron will have to be responsible for. The idea that we shouldn't resign Payne or at least try is ridiculous. The idea of letting your quality 1st round picks just walk for nothing isn't something Super Bowl winning teams do. So as said Ron will have to take responsibility for letting Matt, Settle, and Possibly Payne go for nothing. 

While Mathis may produce at DT the Need for a DT was only there after our HC made the decision to make that position weak. 

On the flip side paying your starting DTs a combined $35-40 million a year is not a good use of the salary cap. Trading Payne for an earlier pick & a mid to late round pick is what they should do. 

Instead of doing that, I’m worried they’ll do what they did with Kirk & Scherff and franchise Payne twice over the next two years and then get a 3rd round comp pick for him in 2025. 😩 

As for Dean, I wanted him too but if he has to have surgery on his pec he isn’t filling a need this year but for the long term he would’ve. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

On the flip side paying your starting DTs a combined $35-40 million a year is not a good use of the salary cap. Trading Payne for an earlier pick & a mid to late round pick is what they should do. 

Instead of doing that, I’m worried they’ll do what they did with Kirk & Scherff and franchise Payne twice over the next two years and then get a 3rd round comp pick for him in 2025. 😩 

As for Dean, I wanted him too but if he has to have surgery on his pec he isn’t filling a need this year but for the long term he would’ve. 

Twice we've seen them let players go for nothing. Schreff and Cousins. So we agree we doubt they change their ways with Payne. 

Dean said he was fine. When he ends up being just fine and is that LB that we desperately need but passed on don't forget Ron is the one making these decisions. Fans need to raised expectations so We actually get what we want. A winning football team. 

Them making these types of decisions need to be called out and evaluated. If they aren't a 10 win team next year Rivera needs to go before things continue to get worst. 

Edited by DCNative

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Rivera didn’t draft Payne and giving all four Dlineman huge salaries is poor cap management.  One of them has to go and Payne is the most logical.

38 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Rivera didn’t draft Payne and giving all four Dlineman huge salaries is poor cap management.  One of them has to go and Payne is the most logical.

It shouldn't matter that Ron didn't draft Payne. Payne has played well for this organization and I don't agree paying them would be poor cap management.

Poor cap management was taken on Wentz contract in the first place. Poor cap management was bidding against no other team but yourself and trading away possibly a 2nd round pick for Wentz. Poor cap management is them creating those wholes themselves. 

We don't even know what type of deal Payne wants or would accept from them. If the Dline is suppose to be the strength of this team, why break it up? You can't say cap management. 

Edited by DCNative

5 minutes ago, DCNative said:

It shouldn't matter that Ron didn't draft Payne. Payne has played well for this organization and I don't agree paying them would be poor cap management.

Poor cap management was taken on Wentz contract in the first place. Poor cap management was bidding against no other team but yourself and trading away possibly a 2nd round pick for Wentz. Poor cap management is them creating those whose themselves. 

We don't even know what type of deal Payne wants or would accept from them. If the Dline is suppose to be the strength of this team, why break it up? You can't say cap management. 

If you’re really going to argue paying a run stuffing DT over your QB is better cap management then we don’t have anything else to discuss. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If you’re really going to argue paying a run stuffing DT over your QB is better cap management then we don’t have anything else to discuss. 

Give me a reason to break up the strength of the defense? The NFL has plenty of money to pay these guys. Guys that don't even play full seasons even get paid yet you don't pay your own players because you say he good at stopping the run. Stopping the run is important in the NFL. Payne also gets pressure on the QBs. Payne gets you about 4 sacks a year next to Allen while providing pressure on the QB and stopping the run. You pay him for that if y'all can negotiate a deal. You don't just let him walk out the door. Seems you support their behavior.