With the 47th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Commanders select Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama

MikeT14

52 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Give me a reason to break up the strength of the defense? The NFL has plenty of money to pay these guys. Guys that don't even play full seasons even get paid yet you don't pay your own players because you say he good at stopping the run. Stopping the run is important in the NFL. Payne also gets pressure on the QBs. Payne gets you about 4 sacks a year next to Allen while providing pressure on the QB and stopping the run. You pay him for that if y'all can negotiate a deal. You don't just let him walk out the door. Seems you support their behavior. 

I support good cap management.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Twice we've seen them let players go for nothing. Schreff and Cousins. So we agree we doubt they change their ways with Payne. 

Dean said he was fine. When he ends up being just fine and is that LB that we desperately need but passed on don't forget Ron is the one making these decisions. Fans need to raised expectations so We actually get what we want. A winning football team. 

Them making these types of decisions need to be called out and evaluated. If they aren't a 10 win team next year Rivera needs to go before things continue to get worst. 

I have no problem with Rivera being canned should we only win 8 games or less. I still think they should’ve already traded Payne, I’ve been saying that for 2 years. I get it your new or haven’t been active on here but ask anyone and I said last Off-season that they should consider trading Payne bc they should re-sign Allen (this was before he was re-signed) and Sweat & Young afrer that.

Thinkng long term, you don’t want to pay them all $15 plus mil a year. You want to pay other positions, so trading Payne made the most sense to me.

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I support good cap management.

So call them out for taking Wentz contract. That's not good cap management. That's the cause of Settle, Collins, and Matt not being on the team anymore. 

Edited by DCNative

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I have no problem with Rivera being canned should we only win 8 games or less. I still think they should’ve already traded Payne, I’ve been saying that for 2 years. I get it your new or haven’t been active on here but ask anyone and I said last Off-season that they should consider trading Payne bc they should re-sign Allen (this was before he was re-signed) and Sweat & Young afrer that.

Thinkng long term, you don’t want to pay them all $15 plus mil a year. You want to pay other positions, so trading Payne made the most sense to me.

Depending on their production and asking price I might not want to pay them all. Yet if I can get reasonable deals for their production I'm paying them all. It makes no sense to let guys just walk creating wholes than that need to be refilled.  

To me this is not so much about Payne, but Settle and/or Ionnaidis.  Payne got drafted to be a 3 down starter.  This guy is a rotational player who is more of a 2 down guy long term.  

This is not the new Payne, this is the new Settle + Ionnaidis.  And imo I would have much rather extend a solid player in settle at a reasonable rate than let a guy we like go only to use a 2nd rounder to replace him.  That is the problem with this pick and what colors my feeling about him.  If we legitimately lost Settle and Ionnaidis because they were free agents who wanted to go elsewhere despite trying to keep them, then this pick would probably look real good.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

To me this is not so much about Payne, but Settle and/or Ionnaidis.  Payne got drafted to be a 3 down starter.  This guy is a rotational player who is more of a 2 down guy long term.  

This is not the new Payne, this is the new Settle + Ionnaidis.  And imo I would have much rather extend a solid player in settle at a reasonable rate than let a guy we like go only to use a 2nd rounder to replace him.  That is the problem with this pick and what colors my feeling about him.  If we legitimately lost Settle and Ionnaidis because they were free agents who wanted to go elsewhere despite trying to keep them, then this pick would probably look real good.

Considering the players that were still available when they made this pick I have no idea how anyone could possibly support it? When you win 7 games you don't pick for depth in the second round. You just don't.  I honestly have no idea how they even remotely came to the conclusion this would be the best pick to help the team? Plus it was a reach. A major reach. 

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Depending on their production and asking price I might not want to pay them all. Yet if I can get reasonable deals for their production I'm paying them all. It makes no sense to let guys just walk creating wholes than that need to be refilled.  

None of them are going to be reasonable on a re-sign. Sweat & Young probably just had the worst years of their career. You have to think years ahead when you’re team building, I worry that the current front office - just like the last 2 - aren’t doing that. It just made no sense to not retain Ioannidis or Settke while deciding you’re not going to pay Payne for example… like wtf is that?

Just stupidly 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Considering the players that were still available when they made this pick I have no idea how anyone could possibly support it? When you win 7 games you don't pick for depth in the second round. You just don't.  I honestly have no idea how they even remotely came to the conclusion this would be the best pick to help the team? Plus it was a reach. A major reach. 

I can't like others post for some reason, but what I like about this statement is "You don't draft for depth in the second round" I couldn't agree more. Brisker was right there as well to fill a need at SS. They said they want their first 4 picks to contribute right away. Dotson and Mathis both are rotational guys oppose to instant starters or whole fillers for us. Burks, Dean, or Brisker gave us something we didn't have. 

51 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Major reach? Damn, I wish Payne, Ioannidis or Settle had gotten 9 sacks in a season in college. You’re a smart guy, you’ve been around the forum for a decade plus, draft picks aren’t just made for one season, they’re made for years down the line. FA signings are short term fixes most times, draft picks are for the long term. Mathis was picked with the projection that when Payne is gone, Mathis will be the starter next to Allen.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCNative said:

I can't like others post for some reason, but what I like about this statement is "You don't draft for depth in the second round" I couldn't agree more. Brisker was right there as well to fill a need at SS. They said they want their first 4 picks to contribute right away. Dotson and Mathis both are rotational guys oppose to instant starters or whole fillers for us. Burks, Dean, or Brisker gave us something we didn't have. 

If we had drafted Brisker, he was going to back up Curl or McCain. I don’t see him being able to beat out either of them as a rookie, maybe next year Brisker or another S prospect we would’ve taken in round 2 could’ve beaten them out, but unlikely as a rookie. It’s the same thing. I’m literally lost.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

None of them are going to be reasonable on a re-sign. Sweat & Young probably just had the worst years of their career. You have to think years ahead when you’re team building, I worry that the current front office - just like the last 2 - aren’t doing that. It just made no sense to not retain Ioannidis or Settke while deciding you’re not going to pay Payne for example… like wtf is that?

Just stupidly 

Things like that keeps us from building a team with depth able to actually compete for a Super Bowl. Their was no need to draft Paynes replacement that early even if they don't plan on keeping him long term. He's still under contract this season. Filling another need LB, Safety, Guard, would've been a smarter decision imo. 

Now that I think about it, this all points back to the Wentz deal and how Ron style is hurting Us. They don't have depth at the DT position because Ron choose Wentz and his contract causing us to lose the depth we had in Matt and Settle. Both were capable of keeping for their current salaries. I highly doubt either would've chosen to leave if we offered them those deals. 

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we had drafted Brisker, he was going to back up Curl or McCain. I don’t see him being able to beat out either of them as a rookie, maybe next year Brisker or another S prospect we would’ve taken in round 2 could’ve beaten them out, but unlikely as a rookie. It’s the same thing. I’m literally lost.

Why are you predicting negative things about ever prospect except the ones we drafted? You don't know what Brisker would do. We do know another organization chose him right after we chose Mathis. Your talking as if the Defense didn't have wholes and McCain/Kurl we're a Pro Bowl worthy duo. 

2 hours ago, DCNative said:

So call them out for taking Wentz contract. That's not good cap management. That's the cause of Settle, Collins, and Matt not being on the team anymore. 

If we don’t have Wentz, what do we have on offense? He’s the best QB we could get, whether in the draft, trade or FA that would come here.

20 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Why are you predicting negative things about ever prospect except the ones we drafted? You don't know what Brisker would do. We do know another organization chose him right after we chose Mathis. Your talking as if the Defense didn't have wholes and McCain/Kurl we're a Pro Bowl worthy duo. 

I have nothing against Brisker or any of the other safeties we could’ve drafted in round 2 or 3 but the reality of the situation is that Curl has been a very good SS since we drafted him & once McCain got used to the defense he had a good 2nd half of the season last year.

I just think it’s unlikely that Brisker was going to start too if we we had drafted him. That’s not hating Brisker, it’s just the truth of the matter that often if there are established starters at a position, it’s likely that draft picks won’t start overt them, especially after round 1.