With the 47th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Commanders select Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we don’t have Wentz, what do we have on offense? He’s the best QB we could get, whether in the draft, trade or FA that would come here.

Or maybe even Pickett could've gotten a look. Taking on Wentz contract plus betting against no team but themselves was ridiculously stupid and a panic move imo. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I have nothing against Brisker or any of the other safeties we could’ve drafted in round 2 or 3 but the reality of the situation is that Curl has been a very good SS since we drafted him & once McCain got used to the defense he had a good 2nd half of the season last year.

I just think it’s unlikely that Brisker was going to start too if we we had drafted him. That’s not hating Brisker, it’s just the truth of the matter that often if there are established starters at a position, it’s likely that draft picks won’t start overt them, especially after round 1.

With Brisker you find a role for him. Plug him near the line of scrimmage on 1st and 2nd down as well as run downs. Have Kurl start at FS. Switch Kurl to SS and bring McCain in at FS on passing downs. 

You see how I did think. A even professional DC should be able to do even better. Brisker skill set fit a need. 

19 hours ago, DCNative said:

Or maybe even Pickett could've gotten a look. Taking on Wentz contract plus betting against no team but themselves was ridiculously stupid and a panic move imo. 

Yes it was, but they put themselves in this position by refusing to draft a QB in the 2021 draft when they could’ve traded up for Fields or Mack Jones or drafted a QB in round 2 to develop. They ridiculously thought that Fitzpatrick was going to get them back to the playoffs & Turner wanted to keep Heinicke & Kyle Allen as his back ups.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

Yes it was, but they put themselves i  this position by refusing to draft a QB in the 2021 draft when they could’ve traded up for Fields or Mack Jones or drafted a QB in round 2 to develop. They ridiculous thought that Fitzpatrick was going to get them back to the playoffs & Turner wanted to keep Heinicke & Kyle Allen as his back up.

See the consistent mistakes, something has to change. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCNative said:

With Brisker you find a role for him. Plug him near the line of scrimmage on 1st and 2nd down as well as run downs. Have Kurl start at FS. Switch Kurl to SS and bring McCain in at FS on passing downs. 

You see how I did think. A even professional DC should be able to do even better. Brisker skill set fit a need. 

They weren’t going to do that regularly. If we had drafted Brisker or he wasn’t going to start. What you’re suggesting is moving pieces around in different packages, that doesn’t change my point that it was unlikely if we had drafted Brisker he would’ve started as a rookie of Curl or McCain.

Just now, DCNative said:

See the consistent mistakes, something has to change. 

If these draft picks don’t turnout better in performance & last years picks don’t make progress this year then things will work out and Rivera & crew won’t get their contracts extended.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

They weren’t going to do that regularly. If we had drafted Brisker or he wasn’t going to start. What you’re suggesting is moving pieces around in different packages, that doesn’t change my point that it was unlikely if we had drafted Brisker he would’ve started as a rookie of Curl or McCain.

He's starting at SS while Kurl is starting at FS. McCain is the backup in my scenario. Or you simply draft Dean and have him start at LB. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

If these draft picks don’t turnout better in performance & last years picks don’t make progress this year then things will work out and Rivera & crew won’t get their contracts extended.

They need to go before it expires. Washington will need to highly look at Kansas City OC for the HC spot. 

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Major reach? Damn, I wish Payne, Ioannidis or Settle had gotten 9 sacks in a season in college. You’re a smart guy, you’ve been around the forum for a decade plus, draft picks aren’t just made for one season, they’re made for years down the line. FA signings are short term fixes most times, draft picks are for the long term. Mathis was picked with the projection that when Payne is gone, Mathis will be the starter next to Allen.

Mathis is a 5th year senior and he’s already 24-years old which means he’s most likely reached his peak. If he ends up being great you know I’ll be right there cheering for him but I don’t see it. This was a major reach. 

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

Mathis is a 5th year senior and he’s already 24-years old which means he’s most likely reached his peak. If he ends up being great you know I’ll be right there cheering for him but I don’t see it. This was a major reach. 

What’s the “reach” opinion based on?

And Yeah & his peak is 9 sacks! That’s not a reach. I’ll take it! He’s a plug & play player, we probably won’t even miss Ioannidis or Settle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll settle for 9 sacks a year from him then.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DCNative said:

These 9 sacks came in college not in a pro game. Let's see him get 9 sacks as a Commander in a season. 

Oh for sure, but it’s still impressive that he got 9 sacks as a DT in the SEC in 14 games. He isn’t likely going to ever get 9 sacks in the NFL, but him doing that at Alabama in the SEC is the closest thing to him doing it in the NFL. 

At this point people are just hating Mathis/the pick just to do it, bc I don’t know how you can watch him or look at his stats and not be impressed.

Edited by turtle28