Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It is possible that the Packers have the most urgent need on the  O line as being the center. I'm expecting one to be taken in rounds 1-3, which probably means Van Pran, Frazier or Powers-Johnson

Myers is under contract in 2024 for less than $2 million.

The Packers haven't shown any hesitation at putting a highly drafted rookie center out there before. I don't know why they would freak out about it in 2025. 

Myers certainly hasn't been bad enough that you need to replace him to get it going next year. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's immature is the biggest thing. 

Runyan by contrast is a consummate pro who for the most part stays in front of guys. 

It's just classic coaches going for a high floor vs a better player who might occasionally make a mental **** up. 

But it's time to make the switch. 

Yeah I guess to me it's just a pretty big miss in terms of what Runyan is actually bringing to the table; this is off the cuff, not from any kind of film review, but my gut feeling is he's probably responsible for more negative plays than anyone else on the line.  Just super not a fan of going with the high floor guy unless that floor is several stories up, and Runyan's floor feels more like a bungalow at times.

8 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah I guess to me it's just a pretty big miss in terms of what Runyan is actually bringing to the table; this is off the cuff, not from any kind of film review, but my gut feeling is he's probably responsible for more negative plays than anyone else on the line.  Just super not a fan of going with the high floor guy unless that floor is several stories up, and Runyan's floor feels more like a bungalow at times.

I suspect Walker is responsible for more, but there's a degree of difficulty to factor in there. 

And no fan enjoys that. It's a coach thing.

In many ways I think this is a result of modern NFL coaching:

20 years ago this would have been settled by two dudes hitting each other in a board drill and the guy that pushed the other one over would be the starter. 

Now a lot of practice is giving guys quizzes on the opposing blitz packages. And I'll bet Runyan does much better on those. 

• Like 1

Just so y'all know, I'm in charge of the Sean Rhyan bandwagon. Plenty of room, hop on. 

Seriously though, it's baffling to me when we clearly have an upgrade at RG and the kid get 10 or so snaps. I was sold the first series of the second half against the Rams. I was looking for those snaps but couldn't find them to post. 

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Myers is under contract in 2024 for less than $2 million.

The Packers haven't shown any hesitation at putting a highly drafted rookie center out there before. I don't know why they would freak out about it in 2025. 

Myers certainly hasn't been bad enough that you need to replace him to get it going next year. 

I'll mention that he was taken a pick before center Creed Humphrey (overall pff grade 79) and Myers has an overall pff grade of 62.4. I'm not berating Gute for taking Myers, no GM gets it right all the time, but there is a comparable mirror that is not at all favourable for Myers. You are certain he shouldn't be replaced next year, while I think it could make a big upgrade to the line as a whole, affecting the guards on either side as well, since many blocks by the center are in combo with one of the guards.

While there are guards with ratings in the 50's and some even in the 40's, there are guys like Linderbaum, Andrews, Dalman, Williams, Ragnow, Cushenberry, McCoy, Pocic and James in the 70s and some in the 80's. Whatever you think of pff grades, it is a somewhaT objective look at the relative quality of players.

Since Green Bay has had a quality O line for quite some time, it is obvious they put a fairly high value on the unit, so I do expect an upgrade at center, hopefully someone who can get a pff score in the 70's (or if you are very lucky up towards the 80's). Straight through the middle is the shortest route to the QB, so a center that holds up well there is a valuable asset.

I'm not even saying Myers should be jettisoned before next year, but I am saying I am expecting a center to be taken in the draft before the end of round three, maybe even as high as round two where the top 2-3 centers should be taken. 

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

I'd be pretty surprised if we take a center prior to round 3.

I haven't like Myers in the past.  He's been bad, no way around it.

But the last 3 games or so, he seems to have turned a corner.  If he continues playing like this, it is more likely that he signs a long term deal than it is he gets replaced.

At least that is how I see it now.  It could all go to hell this week with a heavy pressure package coming his way.  Make no mistake, this is a very big game for Myers (and most everyone else).  It is a measuring stick game.

And we were talking about JRJ.  For exactly all the reasons that @AlexGreen#20 has stated, I'll bet he starts and plays most of the snaps this week.  You want and need the assignment sure guy in there against Spags.  Maybe you can sneak Rhyan in there for some snaps, but you want the smart vet going this week.  

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd be pretty surprised if we take a center prior to round 3.

I haven't like Myers in the past.  He's been bad, no way around it.

But the last 3 games or so, he seems to have turned a corner.  If he continues playing like this, it is more likely that he signs a long term deal than it is he gets replaced.

At least that is how I see it now.  It could all go to hell this week with a heavy pressure package coming his way.  Make no mistake, this is a very big game for Myers (and most everyone else).  It is a measuring stick game.

And we were talking about JRJ.  For exactly all the reasons that @AlexGreen#20 has stated, I'll bet he starts and plays most of the snaps this week.  You want and need the assignment sure guy in there against Spags.  Maybe you can sneak Rhyan in there for some snaps, but you want the smart vet going this week.  

That being said, if he struggles in the early part of the game .. Rhyan gets inserted to see if the bleeding stops.  Packers should be a results oriented "business" regardless of who is playing there.

14 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

That being said, if he struggles in the early part of the game .. Rhyan gets inserted to see if the bleeding stops.  Packers should be a results oriented "business" regardless of who is playing there.

If this was a game that didn't mean anything, by all means, get Rhyan in there early and often.

But....the offplays are being talked about....you want the assignment sure guy in there against Spags.

And let's not pretend like JRJ isn't going to struggle. 

If it were me, I'd get Rhyan some run snaps but I'd be keeping him off of the field on obvious passing downs when Spags will dial up pressures.

49 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'll mention that he was taken a pick before center Creed Humphrey (overall pff grade 79) and Myers has an overall pff grade of 62.4. I'm not berating Gute for taking Myers, no GM gets it right all the time, but there is a comparable mirror that is not at all favourable for Myers. You are certain he shouldn't be replaced next year, while I think it could make a big upgrade to the line as a whole, affecting the guards on either side as well, since many blocks by the center are in combo with one of the guards.

While there are guards with ratings in the 50's and some even in the 40's, there are guys like Linderbaum, Andrews, Dalman, Williams, Ragnow, Cushenberry, McCoy, Pocic and James in the 70s and some in the 80's. Whatever you think of pff grades, it is a somewhaT objective look at the relative quality of players.

Since Green Bay has had a quality O line for quite some time, it is obvious they put a fairly high value on the unit, so I do expect an upgrade at center, hopefully someone who can get a pff score in the 70's (or if you are very lucky up towards the 80's). Straight through the middle is the shortest route to the QB, so a center that holds up well there is a valuable asset.

I'm not even saying Myers should be jettisoned before next year, but I am saying I am expecting a center to be taken in the draft before the end of round three, maybe even as high as round two where the top 2-3 centers should be taken. 

The part in bold works both ways. I'd like to see Myers grade with Rhyan at RG for a whole game. It seems he was doing better when Rhyan was in the game. Especially with combo blocks in the run game. 

If he's still having issues and Rhyan is playing well, then I'm in on drafting a center in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

If this was a game that didn't mean anything, by all means, get Rhyan in there early and often.

But....the offplays are being talked about....you want the assignment sure guy in there against Spags.

And let's not pretend like JRJ isn't going to struggle. 

If it were me, I'd get Rhyan some run snaps but I'd be keeping him off of the field on obvious passing downs when Spags will dial up pressures.

Rhyan is the better player. Our mantra has always been to get the best five on the field. Runyan isn't one of the best five. 

As for putting him in on running downs, I'm sure teams would never figure that out. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Rhyan is the better player. Our mantra has always been to get the best five on the field. Runyan isn't one of the best five. 

As for putting him in on running downs, I'm sure teams would never figure that out. 

If Rhyan was one of the best five, he would be starting by now.  

Clearly there is something there that us casual fans do not know about.  One such thing could be a plan for him.

Wouldn't shock me if this was the plan.  Get him some snaps when we can, because next year is his year.

PFF

Ryan.  34 snaps.  16 run.  16 pass.  61.6 run grade.  41.7 pass grade.  58.7 overall.

JRJ.  678 snaps.  253 run.  425 pass.  47.2 run grade.  64.8 pass grade.  52.2 overall.

If this game becomes a shootout through the air, you see who would be best to play.

If it is close or a grinding game on the ground, again, you see who would be best to play.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

If Rhyan was one of the best five, he would be starting by now.  

Clearly there is something there that us casual fans do not know about.  One such thing could be a plan for him.

Wouldn't shock me if this was the plan.  Get him some snaps when we can, because next year is his year.

PFF

Ryan.  34 snaps.  16 run.  16 pass.  61.6 run grade.  41.7 pass grade.  58.7 overall.

JRJ.  678 snaps.  253 run.  425 pass.  47.2 run grade.  64.8 pass grade.  52.2 overall.

If this game becomes a shootout through the air, you see who would be best to play.

If it is close or a grinding game on the ground, again, you see who would be best to play.

Apparently not!

Also, I don't' need PFF to tell me what I can see with my own eyes. The offense runs much better with Rhyan in the game. We run the ball better, get in more favorable down and distances and keep moving the chains. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Apparently not!

Also, I don't' need PFF to tell me what I can see with my own eyes. The offense runs much better with Rhyan in the game. We run the ball better, get in more favorable down and distances and keep moving the chains. 

LOL.  What you are seeing with your eyes is a very, very small sample size from Rhyan and a large sample size from Runyan.

What you are seeing is a combination of things, not just Rhyan.

Jenkins is getting healthy(ier).  Walker is getting better.  Tom is getting more settled in.  And our center is playing better.

Most importantly, our head coach is calling better games, much better games.

I am as high on Rhyan as anyone.  That is his job next year, for sure.

But what you are seeing is our offense getting better, and for waaaayyyy more snaps, Runyan is in there over Rhyan.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1