Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

I get the fun of competing for the playoffs.  But I kinda feel like we shouldn't get too distracted from this being a rebuilding year.  Give Rhyan some snaps.  *IF* he's getting wasted, OK, maybe back off.  But if anything this might be a game where more than ever you need a stronger and more athletic guy who's not getting pushed into the backfield.  I'd plan to default him in for a couple of series at least, unless he gets wasted in his first series.  

16 minutes ago, craig said:

I get the fun of competing for the playoffs.  But I kinda feel like we shouldn't get too distracted from this being a rebuilding year.  Give Rhyan some snaps.  *IF* he's getting wasted, OK, maybe back off.  But if anything this might be a game where more than ever you need a stronger and more athletic guy who's not getting pushed into the backfield.  I'd plan to default him in for a couple of series at least, unless he gets wasted in his first series.  

No one in that building or locker room is feeling like this is a rebuilding year.  I can guarantee you that.

They are in the thick of the playoff hunt and not playing for next year.

Runyan probably gets snaps just because of that fact.

Now...if we are eliminated from the playoffs?  Then I think Rhyan sees a whole lot more snaps.  Until then, I kind of like what they are doing with the both of them right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

No one in that building or locker room is feeling like this is a rebuilding year.  I can guarantee you that.

They are in the thick of the playoff hunt and not playing for next year.

Runyan probably gets snaps just because of that fact.

Now...if we are eliminated from the playoffs?  Then I think Rhyan sees a whole lot more snaps.  Until then, I kind of like what they are doing with the both of them right now.

I sorta feel the same with Walker and Nijman as I do with Rhyan and Runyan, seems they rotated Walker with Nijman till it became obvious Walker was able to man that position, once there sure Ryhan wont get Love killed it will be his position, I like this method, the newbie has to earn the right to be the starter

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'll mention that he was taken a pick before center Creed Humphrey (overall pff grade 79) and Myers has an overall pff grade of 62.4. I'm not berating Gute for taking Myers, no GM gets it right all the time, but there is a comparable mirror that is not at all favourable for Myers. You are certain he shouldn't be replaced next year, while I think it could make a big upgrade to the line as a whole, affecting the guards on either side as well, since many blocks by the center are in combo with one of the guards.

While there are guards with ratings in the 50's and some even in the 40's, there are guys like Linderbaum, Andrews, Dalman, Williams, Ragnow, Cushenberry, McCoy, Pocic and James in the 70s and some in the 80's. Whatever you think of pff grades, it is a somewhaT objective look at the relative quality of players.

Since Green Bay has had a quality O line for quite some time, it is obvious they put a fairly high value on the unit, so I do expect an upgrade at center, hopefully someone who can get a pff score in the 70's (or if you are very lucky up towards the 80's). Straight through the middle is the shortest route to the QB, so a center that holds up well there is a valuable asset.

I'm not even saying Myers should be jettisoned before next year, but I am saying I am expecting a center to be taken in the draft before the end of round three, maybe even as high as round two where the top 2-3 centers should be taken. 

PFF doesn't even have Myers with the right number of sacks allowed. 

Let's keep this thing in perspective. 

56 minutes ago, turf toe said:

I sorta feel the same with Walker and Nijman as I do with Rhyan and Runyan, seems they rotated Walker with Nijman till it became obvious Walker was able to man that position, once there sure Ryhan wont get Love killed it will be his position, I like this method, the newbie has to earn the right to be the starter

Except Walker got first shot once Bak was not a consideration. Nijman didn't get reps until Walker almost got Love killed. They kept giving Walker chances and he's gotten somewhat better but still not sure about him. 

Walker never really 'proved,' himself before he got his chance. Nijman was the known commodity on a par with Runyan and was passed over for the unknown in Walker. 

Edited by Old Guy

9 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yeah, and IIRC Lombardi passed on a DE named Carl Eller to draft Hyland. Geez.

Lombardi-as-GM was full of missed picks like that. Although, Hyland sorta made sense. The team really only had Ken Bowman at Center and their other player- Bill Curry- had been expansion picked by the Saints. This was also the first year the competing leagues drafted together and only the foremost thinkers probably started adjusting their draft strategies in accordance, not something I would give Lombardi top marks for if I'm being brutally honest.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Except Walker got first shot once Bak was not a consideration. Nijman didn't get reps until Walker almost got Love killed. They kept giving Walker chances and he's gotten somewhat better but still not sure about him. 

Walker never really 'proved,' himself before he got his chance. Nijman was the known commodity on a par with Runyan and was passed over for the unknown in Walker. 

alright, but probably they saw just how good Walker can be in pass pro from the PS games, Walker right now is ranked 4th amongst all tackles in PBWR, once he develops some run blocking chops he may be the steal of his draft class.

didn't Nijman start the season injured? I seem to remember that being the main reason Walker started