Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

On 11/28/2023 at 5:45 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not a chance in hell. 

JRJ was on another planet with his dad as far as pure drive skills, and even his pass pro didn't bear a resemblance. 

Just got too much of his mom's DNA :(

His Mom bahahaha yeah I know dam sucks. Just going to last night though Ryan was not much better against Jones for sure. But the unit as a whole beyond that of the last couple of drivers and big 3rd downs played great. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Rhyan had one really bad rep last night where Chris Jones blew right past him. I didn't notice too much else from his snaps. I wasn't paying attention to him as much in the past either. 

Rhyan only had 7 snaps. I thought Runyan had one of his better games, although he got beat clean by Jones as well.

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Rhyan had one really bad rep last night where Chris Jones blew right past him. I didn't notice too much else from his snaps. I wasn't paying attention to him as much in the past either. 

17 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Rhyan only had 7 snaps. I thought Runyan had one of his better games, although he got beat clean by Jones as well.

Chris Jones makes a lot of guys look bad.  He did in fact "get" both JRJ and Rhyan.  And he got them both very quickly.

I love watching offensive line play.  I just love it.

MLF did just a great job of moving the pocket a little bit and the blocking assignments up front were moving around as well.  That and the motions kept the effectiveness of blitzing at bay.

And....if I were to pick out one guy who I thought played well on the line...obviously it goes to Zach Tom.  But Myers had another solid game inside.  To me he is continuing to stack success.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Chris Jones makes a lot of guys look bad.  He did in fact "get" both JRJ and Rhyan.  And he got them both very quickly.

I love watching offensive line play.  I just love it.

MLF did just a great job of moving the pocket a little bit and the blocking assignments up front were moving around as well.  That and the motions kept the effectiveness of blitzing at bay.

And....if I were to pick out one guy who I thought played well on the line...obviously it goes to Zach Tom.  But Myers had another solid game inside.  To me he is continuing to stack success.

That dude is legitimately an elite RT already. 

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That dude is legitimately an elite RT already. 

Yup.  It is kind of scary how good he is out there.  When I look at him, I just don't see "it" as a RT.  But he is just so good with those feet and leverage.  My guess is that he is really, really football smart, too.  Just a home run of a pick.

My bad, a touchdown of a pick.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1

The play where Rhyan got whipped was kinda weird.  He got right in front of Jones and seemed perfectly in position to get a good block on him.  But then it almost seemed like he just stood up straight after the first block and didn't do anything with his feet or leverage to keep blocking, just kinda stepped off to the right.  Jones just kinda brushed off the first block, then zipped straight past Rhyan's left straight for Love.  I recall specifically watching for Rhyan on that play, and first thought was "good block, he's got this", then a millisecond he just turn-styled and Jones flew right past him.  Fortunately Love saw it coming and ran away to his left for a nice 1st down anyway.  

Tom's been good at RT.  I often see posts wanting to switch him to left, but I don't really see the point.  He's good on right, don't mess with success.  I think he's not powerful on run-blocking, it's really the pass-protection where he's good.  So *IF* they were to draft a tackle who can both pass block but also run-block besides, I'd be fine to just put that guy at LT, next to Jenkins.  If you're going to have a pass-block line that has two decent run-blockers, may as well place the two run-blockers adjacent. 

Otherwise, I don't really see any difference in responsibilities between LT/RT.  I know the legend is "blind side", but 21st century pocket QB's like Love see the left just as well as the right, he's not "blind" on either side.  I think the responsibilities of the two tackles are indistinguishable.  Other than whatever accommodations the coaches make for covering up their individual weaknesses, once the coaches know who they've got.  

22 minutes ago, craig said:

The play where Rhyan got whipped was kinda weird.  He got right in front of Jones and seemed perfectly in position to get a good block on him.  But then it almost seemed like he just stood up straight after the first block and didn't do anything with his feet or leverage to keep blocking, just kinda stepped off to the right.  Jones just kinda brushed off the first block, then zipped straight past Rhyan's left straight for Love.  I recall specifically watching for Rhyan on that play, and first thought was "good block, he's got this", then a millisecond he just turn-styled and Jones flew right past him.  Fortunately Love saw it coming and ran away to his left for a nice 1st down anyway.  

If I remember Myers didn't block anybody on that play. I wonder if Rhyan was expecting a double team. I would definitely double Jones all night. 

Not trying to make an excuse for my boy, he was clearly beaten but I'd love to know if Myers was supposed to slide over for help. 

22 minutes ago, craig said:

Tom's been good at RT.  I often see posts wanting to switch him to left, but I don't really see the point.  He's good on right, don't mess with success.  I think he's not powerful on run-blocking, it's really the pass-protection where he's good.  So *IF* they were to draft a tackle who can both pass block but also run-block besides, I'd be fine to just put that guy at LT, next to Jenkins.  If you're going to have a pass-block line that has two decent run-blockers, may as well place the two run-blockers adjacent. 

Otherwise, I don't really see any difference in responsibilities between LT/RT.  I know the legend is "blind side", but 21st century pocket QB's like Love see the left just as well as the right, he's not "blind" on either side.  I think the responsibilities of the two tackles are indistinguishable.  Other than whatever accommodations the coaches make for covering up their individual weaknesses, once the coaches know who they've got.  

I wouldn't want to move Tom either, but....if you can snag a good RT in the draft, Tom offers you the flexibility to go to LT.  He's got the feet for it and he's played it before.

And there's more to run blocking than taking a guy, standing him up and putting him on the ground or moving him out of the hole.

Tom is just flat out excellent when he's working a combo block then getting to the second level.  When he's head up on a guy he also has a nice way of getting his back to the hole.

He is changing the way I've perceived a RT to be in this league.

28 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If I remember Myers didn't block anybody on that play. I wonder if Rhyan was expecting a double team. I would definitely double Jones all night. 

Not trying to make an excuse for my boy, he was clearly beaten but I'd love to know if Myers was supposed to slide over for help. 

Kind of a tip your cap play, like the Myers miss against the Lions.  Sometimes the defense just wins.  It becomes a problem when that becomes common.  This is one bad play over the course of about a full game's worth of snaps for Rhyan so far?  You can probably live with that.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, craig said:

Rhyan has gotten full 50-50 snap count over previous two weeks, Tampa and Carolina.  Will be interesting to see whether that was true again tonight versus Vikings?  

I saw both of them out there for stretches but it was hard to tell with the ball flying down field as much as it was. Rhyan will be in the cards next year. Runyan likely finds a mid priced low guarantee deal elsewhere, possibly in the NFCN or with the Eagles.