Who is the best back to back Super Bowl winners?

Bolts223

Who is the best back to back Super Bowl winner?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best back to back Super Bowl Winner

• 1966 & 1967 Green Bay Packers
    • 1972 & 1973 Miami Dolphins
    • 1974 & 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers
    • 1978 & 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers
    • 1988 & 1989 San Francisco 49ers
    • 1992 & 1993 Dallas Cowboys
    • 1997 & 1998 Denver Broncos
    • 2003 & 2004 New England Patriots

Heard great things about Pittsburgh‘s team. But I didn’t see a second of it. Can only comment on the one I did see ….noHomer

edit: actually I also saw the Broncos. Feel like NE’s D puts them over though 

Edited by Hunter2_1

Not SB but the 1958/1959 Baltimore Colts

Johnny Unitas
Lenny Moore
Raymond Berry
Jim Parker
Art Donovan
Gino Marchetti
Weeb Ewbank

All HOFers with a bunch of other probowlers sprinkled in throughout the roster

This is my answer until the Ravens win it back to back in 2022/2023

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 6:41 AM, FrantikRam said:

Niners

Nah. The 89 team cruised through the regular season, playoffs, and SB, but the 88 team would've missed the playoffs if one rumblin' stumblin' Steve Young td run hadn't happened, and barely squeaked past the Bengals in the SB. 

I feel like the only logical answers are:

Broncos

Cowboys

Steelers

Of those, in the modern era, that immediately takes out the Steelers and almost the Broncos as well. I will homer it up and say the Cowboys, since they won another (almost made it 4 in a row). 

Edited by Matts4313

• 3 weeks later...

The Packers won 3 straight, there just was no SB yet for the first year.

• 8 HoF players on those teams, I think

The Dolphins lost the SB and then went undefeated and then won again.

The Steelers won 4 times in 6 years with the same core of players.

• The 1976 team in the middle lost the AFCCG and gave up 22 points in their last 8 regular season games combined.
  • It helps when you draft 9 HoF players in 7 years, including 4 in 1974.

The Cowboys won 3 times in 4 years and went to the NFCCG in the other year.

The Broncos got upset by the Jags in 1996 and Elway retired after 1998 so that's a clean 2 year break.

The Patriots won 3 in 4 years and then 3 years later might have had the best team of all time (lost in the 2007 SB)

• The 03-04 Patriots were 28-4 and they won 20 games in a row counting playoffs.
  • In those 2 years they only lost to 1 team that they did not also beat (oddly it was 2003 DC)
  • They also have the best player

The 1990 49ers were a fumble away from a likely 3-peat.

• The 19 Montana games between the start of the 1988 playoffs and the end of the 1989 SB was about the best the QB position has ever been played.
    • 45 TDs to 9 picks in the late 1980s at about a 120 rating when league average was 75.6 and the 2nd best team was at 91.2
    • and his backup went 3-0 with a 120 rating during that time

I'm going Steelers with Patriots a close 2nd but anyone besides Denver has a really strong case IMO.

Denver was no slouch, you have to be dominant to win 2 in a row, I just like the other resumes better.

5 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

The 88 49ers are far and away the worst team of this group

The won the 3 playoff games by a combined 82 to 28

IMO they would kill the 1972 Dolphins. (55 to 38) The 1973 Dolphins were way better. 1972 was not a good year for football and that schedule was laughable.

The 1988 49ers kind of sleepwalked through September and October after the 1987 playoff collapse and then they won 5 of 6 to end the season and then killed the NFC to the SB and won a close game against a very good Bengals team. Montana/Young had an 83.2 rating in the regular season and a 116.0 in the playoffs.

You have to really stretch a whole lot to try to find meaning in 10-6 with 4 close losses and an 87.9 rating for Montana as having any real significance.

The teams the 1972 Dolphins faced in the regular season were a combined 70-122-4

No team they played had more than 8 wins.

• HOU 1-13
  • SD  4-9-1
  • KC  8-6
  • NYG 8-6
  • MIN 7-7
  • STL 4-9-1
  • DIV 38-72-2
    • Jets 7-7
    • Colts 5-9
    • Bills 4-9-1
    • Pats 3-11

Nothing in the history of sports is more overrated than that 14-0

The next 3 were vs teams that were 10-4, 11-3, 11-3.  Good teams but not really anything special.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

The won the 3 playoff games by a combined 82 to 28

IMO they would kill the 1972 Dolphins. (55 to 38) The 1973 Dolphins were way better. 1972 was not a good year for football and that schedule was laughable.

The 1988 49ers kind of sleepwalked through September and October after the 1987 playoff collapse and then they won 5 of 6 to end the season and then killed the NFC to the SB and won a close game against a very good Bengals team. Montana/Young had an 83.2 rating in the regular season and a 116.0 in the playoffs.

You have to really stretch a whole lot to try to find meaning in 10-6 with 4 close losses and an 87.9 rating for Montana as having any real significance.

Sleepwalked is a nice way of saying they weren’t that good. 10-6 is 10-6.

The other teams they are competing with in this exercise were way better 

Edited by CP3MVP

Also Outside of the 03 Panthers, the 88 bengals might be the worst SB opponent of any of these teams. Beating them by 4 points with a game winning drive ain’t all that impressive. I’m not impressed with their playoff competition before that either. The Vikings? Really