With the 98th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Commanders select Brian Robinson Jr., Alabama, RB

MikeT14

I didn’t want to take a RB this high but like with Mathis, it’s hard not to like the player & the pick. He’ll contribute right away as a short yardage back to take some of the load off of Gibby like Barber did in Gibby’s rookie season. He’ll also be a core special teams guy.

Also, by drafting Robinson it begs the question, do they see Gibby going into more of a Debo Samuel role some?

Not saying Gibby will be full go Wr like Samuel where he’s a WR who runs the ball some, more like the opposite, a RB who plays WR some with jet sweeps, screen passes, interior option routes in the slot, wheel routes etc but maybe that happens. It will be interesting if they get these two on the field together.

Edited by turtle28

My favorite pick so far... It was a LONG wait after the Phidarian Mathis selection. Gibson and McKissic are a good combo but they are INJURY prone. Back to back seasons where one of them hasn't held up and it's really affected the offense. This was a bigger need than most realized and I wouldn't have minded a Kenneth Walker/Breece Hall surprise pick in Round 2. They could have held out until Round 4 and selected someone like Tyler Allgeier or Pierre Strong, Jr. but the talent pool started to get pretty thin at the end of Round 3 with a run of offensive lineman. 

• Like 1

I’ve been reading up on this guy and I like the pick.  He’s different than our other backs, he’s a traditional runner instead of these hybrid receiver types we’ve been using.  Great size, seems like the kind of guy you can put in the game in the 2nd half when the defense is tired and he will feast.  Also he’s known for being excellent in pass protection so he doesn’t have to come off the field in passing situations.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I’ve been reading up on this guy and I like the pick.  He’s different than our other backs, he’s a traditional runner instead of these hybrid receiver types we’ve been using.  Great size, seems like the kind of guy you can put in the game in the 2nd half when the defense is tired and he will feast.  Also he’s known for being excellent in pass protection so he doesn’t have to come off the field in passing situations.

He is a big glider. He’s shiftier then you think and runs well behind his pads and he holds the ball. This should allow us to use Gibson more dynamically so he’s in space not having the DL and LB’s constantly pulling the ball from him

• Like 3

I’m trying to wrap my head around the disdain on this pick. First of all there were people who thought maybe we go running back earlier and many of us have talked about something additional in the backfield anyway.

Secondly, there’s a ton of upside with him as now I think we have a more true between the tackles runner with some additional oomph to him.

Lastly we all lamented Gibsons seeming fumbling issues that reared their head last season, Brian Robinson is secure with the ball. In just over 600 career touches, Robinson has 3, and just 1 last season on a botched snap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I’m trying to wrap my head around the disdain on this pick. First of all there were people who thought maybe we go running back earlier and many of us have talked about something additional in the backfield anyway.

Secondly, there’s a ton of upside with him as now I think we have a more true between the tackles runner with some additional oomph to him.

Lastly we all lamented Gibsons seeming fumbling issues that reared their head last season, Brian Robinson is secure with the ball. In just over 600 career touches, Robinson has 3, and just 1 last season on a botched snap.

Yep, and this also allows Scotty T to be more creative in the ways he uses Gibby. I still see Gibby as the starter but, Robinson can spell him for like 10 rushes/15 snaps a game & when they do that they can put Gibby in the slot, use them both in the backfield, throw to Gibby out of that etc, etc. Gibby can be used in a poor man’s Deebo Samuel type role but opposite as a RB who plays some WR.

I wanted him as our “bruiser” in the 2021 draft, and then he went back to school. Pretty good decision by him, it turns out, because he was probably a late round pick after backing up Najee that year, and a chance to shine moved him up the board a good bit. 

I think he’s a very WYSIWYG type of back. Not a lot of artifice, not particularly creative and not a threat to bust a lot of big plays. No one is going to like tackling him and he’s adequate in all aspects of the position. He seems durable and reliable and hard as a rock, which is a nice complement to what we have. 

• Like 2