With the 98th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Commanders select Brian Robinson Jr., Alabama, RB

MikeT14

10 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I like him and he’s a short yardage TD type back. But we over drafted, but not too bad. I can see him getting 5 scores this year 

I don't think he is going to be the short yardage back. I think he has chunks of yards written all over him. He is patient to let the holes develop and has good vision to see what the defense is bringing him. 

*There were some analysts that had Robinson as the top RB in the draft pre combine. 

1 hour ago, Ghostnote said:

I don't think he is going to be the short yardage back. I think he has chunks of yards written all over him. He is patient to let the holes develop and has good vision to see what the defense is bringing him. 

*There were some analysts that had Robinson as the top RB in the draft pre combine. 

He for sure is going to be the short yardage back, he is mostly a get you what's there guy. He is going to be the battering ram to wear defenses down and keep AG fresh and healthy. I saw a great point by Logan Paulsen where he basically said if he can convert 2-3 more of the short yardage situations that we normally would have failed he did his job.

Edited by rizzy

Robinson is more than just the short yardage back. He is big, but yes, he will be used to wear down defenses. The key statistic this team was looking for this whole draft was securing the football. 

Gibson had 5 fumbles in 2021, Robinson had none. Robinson is going to be the primary back in this offense. He wont get 25 carries a game, but he will eventually get more than Gibson. 

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

I can't imagine why McKissic wouldn't continue his role.  To me this is all about Robinson vs Gibson.

My prediction is his playing time is determined by two factors 1)Gibson being injured or 2)Gibson fumbling.

Agreed. Mckissic should be used in the passing game witch shouldn't effect him because he's better at that than both Gibson and Robinson. If Robinson shows to be more reliable as a rusher than Gibson, he should take the starting job and have Gibson as the backup runner. Or you can emphasize and use his skills as a WR more. Yet they haven't really translated with him as a RB. I'd prefer Mckissic in on passing down oppose to Gibson at the RB position. 

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Agreed. Mckissic should be used in the passing game witch shouldn't effect him because he's better at that than both Gibson and Robinson. If Robinson shows to be more reliable as a rusher than Gibson, he should take the starting job and have Gibson as the backup runner. Or you can emphasize and use his skills as a WR more. Yet they haven't really translated with him as a RB. I'd prefer Mckissic in on passing down oppose to Gibson at the RB position. 

We never even really tried to use Gibson in the pass game which is the weird thing.

The other piece of this discussion that I forgot, is it is year 3 for Gibson.  Has he learned to pass protect?  This is what really prevents him from being a 3rd down back.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

We never even really tried to use Gibson in the pass game which is the weird thing.

The other piece of this discussion that I forgot, is it is year 3 for Gibson.  Has he learned to pass protect?  This is what really prevents him from being a 3rd down back.

If you can't count on Gibson or Robinson in pass protection how can either be trusted? I can't answer that question about Gibson pass protection ability. Have you seen flaws in Gibson pass protection ability? For me Gibson being a WR in college I'd still prefer Mckissic on passing down for us. 

15 hours ago, DCNative said:

If you can't count on Gibson or Robinson in pass protection how can either be trusted? I can't answer that question about Gibson pass protection ability. Have you seen flaws in Gibson pass protection ability? For me Gibson being a WR in college I'd still prefer Mckissic on passing down for us. 

Yes, the flaw I have seen in Gibson's pass protection ability is that he doesn't pass protect :)

I never said Robinson can't be trusted.  He is an unknown, but presumably being that he is an actual running back, he at least understands the concepts of pass protection.

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

Yes, the flaw I have seen in Gibson's pass protection ability is that he doesn't pass protect :)

I never said Robinson can't be trusted.  He is an unknown, but presumably being that he is an actual running back, he at least understands the concepts of pass protection.

I thought pass protection was a flaw of Robinson coming out? Guess I never really notice Gibson's lack of pass protection. Have to check that out this year. 

22 minutes ago, DCNative said:

I thought pass protection was a flaw of Robinson coming out? Guess I never really notice Gibson's lack of pass protection. Have to check that out this year. 

It’s more common than not that a college RB needs to dramatically improve pass pro technique. 60% is willingness and he seems to have that, the other 40% is technique and he needs more work there. I bet he’d never blocked in pass pro until his first pro practice

i like the kid Gibson but he better get his ball security under control. Everyone fumbles, and he seemed to do better later but still had inopportune turnovers. I’m not a big panther Ron fan, but he has a good point about the three of them being complimentary - yeah he only talked about Gibson and Robinson as runners but I threw in the best RB pass blocker and pass catcher