With the 98th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Commanders select Brian Robinson Jr., Alabama, RB

MikeT14

Went back and watched Robinson against UGA in the national championship game again. I have to say, that’s about as strong a “22 for 68 and 4 for 28” game you’ll see from a RB. 

Bama was overwhelmed between the tackles for most of the game, which is a big problem for a kid like Robinson who does his best work there. He doesn’t have great speed to get to the edge and burn up pursuit lanes, but he does hit it hard up the middle. He made a lot of what he had, and he delivered the thunder to a couple big-name guys that we were thinking about drafting (Dean and Cine in particular). He also made some small plays in big moments — finishing a run strong and falling forward to creep right over the 1st down line and keep a drive alive, making solid catches and turning upfield quickly to earn 1st downs on quick hitters. Felt like he had an awareness of what he needed and some determination to get it.

His pass protection was quite good. I haven’t watched closely enough to know where that stands for him regularly, but he was stoning dudes coming in on those A-gap blitzes UGA likes to dial up, and he was handling the DBs with authority as well. I was impressed on that front, but will watch more. 

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, e16bball said:

Went back and watched Robinson against UGA in the national championship game again. I have to say, that’s about as strong a “22 for 68 and 4 for 28” game you’ll see from a RB. 

Bama was overwhelmed between the tackles for most of the game, which is a big problem for a kid like Robinson who does his best work there. He doesn’t have great speed to get to the edge and burn up pursuit lanes, but he does hit it hard up the middle. He made a lot of what he had, and he delivered the thunder to a couple big-name guys that we were thinking about drafting (Dean and Cine in particular). He also made some small plays in big moments — finishing a run strong and falling forward to creep right over the 1st down line and keep a drive alive, making solid catches and turning upfield quickly to earn 1st downs on quick hitters. Felt like he had an awareness of what he needed and some determination to get it.

His pass protection was quite good. I haven’t watched closely enough to know where that stands for him regularly, but he was stoning dudes coming in on those A-gap blitzes UGA likes to dial up, and he was handling the DBs with authority as well. I was impressed on that front, but will watch more. 

Does he compare to your favorite first round pick of all time Mark Ingram?

It kind of sounds like it, and if he can be that kind of back for us, we’ve got a steal!

saints football nfl GIF by New Orleans Saints

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Does he compare to your favorite first round pick of all time Mark Ingram?

It kind of sounds like it, and if he can be that kind of back for us, we’ve got a steal!

saints football nfl GIF by New Orleans Saints

That’s actually not a bad comparison at all. I don’t know that he’s quite as advanced as Ingram (appeared to be at least) coming out of Bama, just in terms of the vision, patience, etc. I don’t think he sees it quite as well as the top guys, which forces him to play through defenders more than he really HAS to. 

He might be even a little more physical than Ingram, though, and I think he’s also a touch faster. I could easily see his career taking that same sort of shape — best as part of a 1-2 punch with a more explosive player, but able to carry the load as a reasonable RB1 if you need him to.

I like him better than most of the guys in that second tier of backs behind Hall and Walker. Gun to my head, I might say he’s actually my RB3 in this class.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That’s actually not a bad comparison at all. I don’t know that he’s quite as advanced as Ingram (appeared to be at least) coming out of Bama, just in terms of the vision, patience, etc. I don’t think he sees it quite as well as the top guys, which forces him to play through defenders more than he really HAS to. 

He might be even a little more physical than Ingram, though, and I think he’s also a touch faster. I could easily see his career taking that same sort of shape — best as part of a 1-2 punch with a more explosive player, but able to carry the load as a reasonable RB1 if you need him to.

I like him better than most of the guys in that second tier of backs behind Hall and Walker. Gun to my head, I might say he’s actually my RB3 in this class.

Well we might have that 1-2 punch already w/ Gibby being the more explosive player who we should be using more off tackle, on pitches, jet sweeps, on screens, option routes and wheel routes to get Gibby more in space while BRob can be our tough in between the tackles runner even more-so than even Barber was used in that role in Gibby’s 2020 rookie year.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, e16bball said:

He could be the best pick in the class honestly I think it’s crazy how good a year he had and he doesn’t have your typical senior workload. He looked fresh and he runs hard. He’s just a good all around player. This class had really good bruising backs in it so I’m happy we got one that I was okay with. I didn’t want a scar back I think we have that in JD and with how they will use Curtis and others in that way. We needed another imposing body even if Gibson didn’t have fumbles or injuries you want quality RB’s that can wear on teams.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

He could be the best pick in the class honestly I think it’s crazy how good a year he had and he doesn’t have your typical senior workload. He looked fresh and he runs hard. He’s just a good all around player. This class had really good bruising backs in it so I’m happy we got one that I was okay with. I didn’t want a scar back I think we have that in JD and with how they will use Curtis and others in that way. We needed another imposing body even if Gibson didn’t have fumbles or injuries you want quality RB’s that can wear on teams.

I still say he’s the primary back by week 5 or 6. I think he’s going to be a star. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I still say he’s the primary back by week 5 or 6. I think he’s going to be a star. 

At worst I think he and Gibby will be splitting carries & they’ll use Gibby more in space as a receiver out of the backfield and off tackle as a runner instead of too often in between the tackles like last year.

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

I think Rivera will look really smart for this pick if Gibson gets hurt, if he doesn't it may be a waste.  Is it possible Gibson's toe has never healed?  

Regardless if Gibby continues to be slowed by his toe injury or other nagging injuries again this year, I think the BRob pick was a good one. Last year we struggled at times on short yardage - which some predicted after we cut Barber - so, we got someone in BRob to fill that role who’s more talented than Barber is. 

Barber had 94 carries in 2020, taking the load off Gibby in short yardage & in end of game situations to save Gibby’s legs/health. I really feel than BRob is going to have 100 carries this year or more and rush for 400-500 yds w/ a 2-5 TDs. 

Then, Gibby will have 200-250 carries for 1000 yds & 7-10 TDs rushing with 2-3 receiving TDs. Hopefully he will be more fresh so his average can get back up to near 4.5 ypc or higher. In 2020 his ypc was 4.7, last year was 4.0.

Edited by turtle28

I liked this pick more than most.

We needed a bell cow type RB more, than many thought we did.

I'm glad Rivera recognized that & took this guy. 

We're a Gibson fumblitus/injury away from McKissic/Patterson having to carry the load the whole season.

I believe we will see what this kid can do earlier, than many of us expect too.