#97 pick in 2022 NFL Draft- Kerby Joseph, S

Superduperman

CBS Sports has this to say about Kirby Joseph:

97. Lions: Kerby Joseph, S, Illinois

Grade: A

One of the longest, rangiest-in-coverage safeties in this class. Hip-fluidity pops on film. Can really run. He'll be a playmaker in Detroit but has to trust his eyes and play with better reactionary skill.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-grades-tracker-analysis-for-every-third-round-selection/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

This is going to be a case study on our coaches, by all accounts Kerby has the physical attributes and is still developing. Glenn and Pleasant were pro DBs and have high reputations. If they are as good as we think, they'll turn him into a great player.

That's the most intriguing thing. He's only played one year at safety. He's a converted WR. He has great hands and gets his hands on alot of balls. But he's no where near a finished product. He definitely has a lot of upside and room for growth whereas guys like Cine and Brisker are already polished players. 

This fits what I was thinking after we passed on S in the second round. That is, grab a guy will great tools and upside, then let AG/AP go to work. 

Taking a look at our Secondary overall after this pic, we have a ton of athletes, guys for different uses, and youth. This of course is predicated on healthy returns of Okudah/Jacobs along with a Healthy season from Elliott. 

All things considered, this could be a deep and varied unit. 

6 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I really liked Kirby but he seems like a S prospect that I always over value every year.  He doesn't look fast but he doesn't look slow.  I think if his instincts improve his game speed will improve.  Could be good.

His instincts is what he lives on right now, it's proper technique he's still learning. Still tackles too high. I have no doubts he can learn alot from Aubrey Pleasant. 

Walker/Elliott/Joseph/???????????

Oruwariye/Okudah/Hughes/Melifonwu/Jacobs

That's a damn good young raw secondary for Pleasant to develop and mold. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

His instincts is what he lives on right now, it's proper technique he's still learning. Still tackles too high. I have no doubts he can learn alot from Aubrey Pleasant. 

Walker/Elliott/Joseph/???????????

Oruwariye/Okudah/Hughes/Melifonwu/Jacobs

That's a damn good young raw secondary for Pleasant to develop and mold. 

You are correct.  I said instincts but I meant technique.  I saw some angle issues and there's some times where his processing is a little slow but I think that's a rep issue.  I think he'll learn to trust himself and everything will speed up for him, but the dude has length and ball production which I always fall for.  I had him as a top 50 player on my board so I like him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Millenhater said:

You are correct.  I said instincts but I meant technique.  I saw some angle issues and there's some times where his processing is a little slow but I think that's a rep issue.  I think he'll learn to trust himself and everything will speed up for him, but the dude has length and ball production which I always fall for.  I had him as a top 50 player on my board so I like him.  

He definitely needs work, but technique can be fixed. His instincts and feel for the game are top notch.

I love Aidan and Jameson, but I think Kerby might be my favorite pick this year.