Rd 3 Pick 99 David Bell, WR Purdue Discussion Thread

Bucketheadsdad

On 5/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Moar yards then any receiver 

in college over the last 3

Excited Aww GIFseasons.

How our you?

I think everyone is hung up on the fact that David is not a 4.2/40 blazer. 

I agree that we have a real need for that. BUT.....

We now have two EXCELLENT route running WRs. David has the reputation of being excellent in the slot or outside. 

This is DPJ's put up or shut up season. With an incoming retooling of the offensive scheme, and more importantly - an upgrade at QB - I think Donovan breaks out this season. More of a longshot is the development of WR Anthony Schwartz. But if he shows a glimpse of why he was selected in the 3rd round last year, it's an added bonus for the Browns. 

To finish my first point, I think it is a big mistake to undervalue an excellent route runner with great hands who WILL convert for you more often than not on 3rd and 7 or longer.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I wonder how they come up with such random numbers. Like where does the 904 come from and why isnt everything just round numbers.

Could be based off of taxes, bonuses, up front vs back end, etc.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:57 AM, brooks1957 said:

We now have two EXCELLENT route running WRs. David has the reputation of being excellent in the slot or outside. 

This is DPJ's put up or shut up season. With an incoming retooling of the offensive scheme, and more importantly - an upgrade at QB - I think Donovan breaks out this season. More of a longshot is the development of WR Anthony Schwartz. But if he shows a glimpse of why he was selected in the 3rd round last year, it's an added bonus for the Browns. 

To finish my first point, I think it is a big mistake to undervalue an excellent route runner with great hands who WILL convert for you more often than not on 3rd and 7 or longer.

Interestingly Juice seemed to only get open vs zone and not man defense. 

It seemed like dpj struggled vs man coverage too. 

What will make the group work is that Cooper will force teams into zone coverages because he smokes guys in man coverage. I presume teams will double him which will give a ton of opportunities to Njoku, DPJ, Bell, Bryant and whoever else.

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

That's a pretty valid point, Kiwi. All it takes is one....

If Coop forces the defense into double covering him, that either opens things up for the other receivers, or...  

It unclogs running lanes for Chubb and Hunt.

Cover 2 open up the rpo for Watson too, he can keep it and pick up low contact 6-10 yards at times. Hopefully we can keep them really off balance.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 6:57 AM, brooks1957 said:

Can he start for Kc or the rams?

7 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Can he start for Kc or the rams?

I would say this would be asking a lot for a player grabbed at pick 99, basically an early 4th rounder, but to answer your question: I think he could carve out a solid role in either, as he seems excellent at the stuff that often sticks in the league: route running, have, YAC. I think there is definitely boom/bust because of the athleticism scores, but it seems like a reasonable shot to take. Heck, if he can improve his athletic scores with NFL training, be might really boom. His tape is great and the size is there.

6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I would say this would be asking a lot for a player grabbed at pick 99, basically an early 4th rounder, but to answer your question: I think he could carve out a solid role in either, as he seems excellent at the stuff that often sticks in the league: route running, have, YAC. I think there is definitely boom/bust because of the athleticism scores, but it seems like a reasonable shot to take. Heck, if he can improve his athletic scores with NFL training, be might really boom. His tape is great and the size is there.

I am not as high on him as you are.

Besides he probably gets cut when haslems lose control and Berry and Depodesta get shown the door.

On 5/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, MWil23 said:

Could be based off of taxes, bonuses, up front vs back end, etc.

I'm fairly certain it compounds year to year

Like when wage scale was put in place mght have been a clean # like 2,500,000 but then it goes up 5% a year for 15 years and now we have something wonky

• Like 1