Draft Day 3

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Okay, who is the one player you want the Lions to come away with today?

Likely won't be there when we pick, but Bailey Zappe. Love the kids moxie and accuracy. I got to believe he gives us more upside as a backup then Boyle,Blough. 

Another is Kyle Phillips.. I am a UCLA fan and I think he will be a very good slot. But again, probably won't be there when we pick.

I wish I was more familiar with the late round LB prospects because I am really hoping for a high upside guy who can contribute on ST in the interim. 

I tend to trust our coaching to develop guys to this point. 

Edited by BarryTheBest

Jeff Risdon has repeatedly stated that the Lions like their LB room alot more than fans/media do. I'm starting to believe him. I wonder if LB is not even a team need in their eyes. I cannot believe they think Alex Anzalone, Jarrad Davis and Derrick Barnes is anything good enough to throw on the field and feel like you can win games with. 

I wonder if the Lions will take a flier on Nephi Sewell.

12 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Who is left? Who do you want?

Going into day 3, the Lions have 3 picks. 5.177, 6.181, 6.217.

LB Kyvon Johnson:  He runs a legit 4.4, had a 6.98 3-cone and despite the fact that he is 6'0/235 has decent pass-rush skills.  A lot of people were hoping we signed Hassan Reddick but we could end up taking someone a lot like him.  He will probably be there in Round 5 when the Lions make their next Pick.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kyron-johnson-3.html

DT Eyioma Uwazurike:  He is 6'6", 316 Lbs, 35 inch arms, and 10 inch hands.  He put up 9 sacks this past season.  He is also from Detroit.  His strengths from his draft profile:

Strengths
  • Accomplished four-year starter.
  • Rare combination of top-end size and length.
  • Versatility to play up and down the line.
  • Played with better technique as two-gapper over second half of season.
  • Able to battle at the point or drive into gaps for disruption.
  • Athletic rusher who probes and stays busy throughout the rep.
  • Forces linemen to keep feet moving, which opens opportunities.
  • Can go from finesse to bull rusher at any point during the rep.
  • Slap-swim is a winning move for him.
  • Finishes the sack with full use of his length.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/eyioma-uwazurike/32005557-4118-9231-ead9-e9cc16e8088b

Edited by Just Want A Title

11 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Jeff Risdon has repeatedly stated that the Lions like their LB room alot more than fans/media do. I'm starting to believe him. I wonder if LB is not even a team need in their eyes. I cannot believe they think Alex Anzalone, Jarrad Davis and Derrick Barnes is anything good enough to throw on the field and feel like you can win games with. 

If he's a UDFA we have the best recruiter for him in his brother.  I think he'll be a Lion.  

13 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think only Barnes is on the roster after this year and none of our LBs have proven the can stay healthy an entire season.  I don't think Davis or Anzalone have played 16 games.  I don't think they even played an entire season in college.  Maybe they think the LBs in the draft are trash, fair enough, but if they think this LB Corps is good enough that it doesn't need to be upgraded or that we are set, then I have serious questions about their ability to evaluate talent.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I have heard this from him several times as well. We also have Board and Beckett, but your point remains. 

19 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

LB Kyvon Johnson:  He runs a legit 4.4 and despite the fact that he is 6'0 and 235 has decent pass-rush skills.  A lot of people were hoping we signed Hassan Reddick but we could end up taking someone a lot like him.  He will probably be there in Round 5 when the Lions make their next Pick.

DT Eyioma Uwazurike:  He is 6'6", 316 Lbs, 35 inch arms, and 10 inch hands.  He put up 9 sacks this past season.  He is also from Detroit.  His strengths from his draft profile:

Strengths
  • Accomplished four-year starter.
  • Rare combination of top-end size and length.
  • Versatility to play up and down the line.
  • Played with better technique as two-gapper over second half of season.
  • Able to battle at the point or drive into gaps for disruption.
  • Athletic rusher who probes and stays busy throughout the rep.
  • Forces linemen to keep feet moving, which opens opportunities.
  • Can go from finesse to bull rusher at any point during the rep.
  • Slap-swim is a winning move for him.
  • Finishes the sack with full use of his length.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/eyioma-uwazurike/32005557-4118-9231-ead9-e9cc16e8088b

Seems like both these guys are worthy of a flier pick.