2022 Draft - Day 3

gopherwrestler

3 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Kinda hoping for Carson Strong. With the way the QBs dropped everyone is in on them next year. 

(I know, weak class)

This is what bothers me most about the round 1 trade. No way moving up 20 spots in the first round shouldn't cost a future first. The Vikings should definitely be looking to take QB next year. Having that ammunition to potentially move up and get their guy would be nice.

Edited by skywindO2

1 minute ago, skywindO2 said:

This is what bothers me most about the round 1 trade. No way moving up 20 spots in the first round shouldn't cost a future first. The Vikings should definitely be looking to take QB next year. Having ammunition to move up would be nice.

Exactly!

32 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

This is what bothers me most about the round 1 trade. No way moving up 20 spots in the first round shouldn't cost a future first. The Vikings should definitely be looking to take QB next year. Having that ammunition to potentially move up and get their guy would be nice.

That generally only applies when its a QB that a team is trading up for. There is also clearly a different valuation on picks in certain draft years now as well... notice not too many teams traded future 1sts for a 1st this year? I think we're seeing what many said going into this draft that it wasnt a top heavy draft.

I cant say I loved the value they got either however only the more "old school" trade charts had the Vikings losing that trade, while all the newer analytics based charts had the Vikings winning the trade.

Ultimately we'll have to see in a few years how it all plays out when the 4 or so players the Vikings would've likely taken at 12 are at in their careers vs where Cine/Booth are at.

(Trade value comparisons);

Here's a look at the Vikings' trade value from different charts:
MIN receives 32, 34, 66
DET receives 12, 46
Jimmy Johnson: -230 (-14.0%)
Rich Hill: -38.78 (-8.2%)
AV (Chase Stuart): +3.5 (12.1%)
OTC (Fitzgerald-Spielberger): +533 (19.0%)
PFF WAR: +0.14 WAR (12.4%)
Edited by Ares Caesar
Added trade value comparisons

21 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

If they wanted to have ammunition to get their guy in next years draft, they should have traded Cousins for compensation. As of right now all we’ll have is a #13-#17 pick, so it will be challenging to outbid other QB needy teams (with a higher 1st rounder)

Edited by CriminalMind

6 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I can understand the desire to pick a RB with Mattison's final year coming up.   Plus, we all know how many 16-game seasons Dalvin's had.   Gotta say, I liked Boone, and like Rose, so I'm not sure a 5th rounder is good or bad, just eh.

I think the Ty Chandler pick is definitely the proverbial goodbye to Mattison for sure. I cant imagine they (front office) have any desire to commit a significant chunk of cap space to another RB, especially since they may take the "out" in Dalvin Cooks contract after this year as well. Cook is going to be the interesting one to watch after the 2022 season to really get a sense of how Kwesi will value RBs going forward. We might see the "draft an RB every couple years" philosophy to avoid paying the position bigtime money when you can still get solid production from rookie contract players at RB.

I definitely like the physical traits I see from Ty Chandler on the field. The explosive burst and lateral agility is definitely there, in fact he kind of looks like Dalvin Cook running the ball. Even a similar size profile to Cook as well. Production in his final year was also good as well, so its not a purely "projection" player. Love Dalvin Cook as a player, but I know there is clearly a tendency from the NFL to avoid bigtime contracts to aging RBs.

21 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

The fact that we havent selected a true edge rusher is confusing considering the injury history of Hunter/Smith. But maybe they like Patrick Jones/Wonnum. 

I think Speilman, Zimmer and Patterson stocked that cupboard for years to come.   It may be that Kwesi realized he didn't need to fix something that ain't broke.

4 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I think Speilman, Zimmer and Patterson stocked that cupboard for years to come.   It may be that Kwesi realized he didn't need to fix something that ain't broke.

I think thats probably true and at the very least I assume both the front office and coaches would like to at least find out what they've got with the guys under contract who've only had limited chances to show what they can do. Wonnum, Jones and Robinson all seem to have the kind of traits of a decent edge rusher, so I think it makes sense to really give a good look to those guys before taking mid-late rounders at the position in this years draft. I think if they had liked some particular prospect in the early rounds they saw as an immediate contributor perhaps they go that route, but after that ship had sailed I think it made far more sense to just stick with what was on the roster already, especially given the possible potential of all 3 of the previously mentioned guys.

22 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

If they wanted to have ammunition to get their guy in next years draft, they should have traded Cousins for compensation. As of right now all we’ll have is a #13-#17 pick, so it will be challenging to outbid other QB needy teams (with a higher 1st rounder)

Have you seen our opponents this year? We arent losing more than 6 or 7 games, and that's worst case scenario. We wont be picking before the twenties.