Official Yankees Thread

mission27

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Still early, but we’re 5 games ahead in the loss column of Hou. Home field would be huge come playoffs.

This is true.

Was in discussion with another NYY fan and I let on that - while we're continually focused on BOS (for obvious and good reason) - I think HOU actually a better team.

They've got good hitters - perhaps not as good in the power stats (dont know for sure - but then again, they dont play in a band box) and their run differential is league leading because of two key factors: and excellent and deep pitching staff and (I think) they play outstanding defense.

Dont watch them on occasion they''re not playing the NYY - but I think they work the relay plays/throws from the outfield about as good as it can be done. You want to take an extra base on them, you'd better have your jets tied on tight. All the outfield arms are good - they hit cutoffs as its supposed to be done - and those cutoffs throw bullets to the right bag.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

This is true.

Was in discussion with another NYY fan and I let on that - while we're continually focused on BOS (for obvious and good reason) - I think HOU actually a better team.

They've got good hitters - perhaps not as good in the power stats (dont know for sure - but then again, they dont play in a band box) and their run differential is league leading because of two key factors: and excellent and deep pitching staff and (I think) they play outstanding defense.

Dont watch them on occasion they''re not playing the NYY - but I think they work the relay plays/throws from the outfield about as good as it can be done. You want to take an extra base on them, you'd better have your jets tied on tight. All the outfield arms are good - they hit cutoffs as its supposed to be done - and those cutoffs throw bullets to the right bag.

Idt it’s a question, Hou is wat better. Boston’s rotation isn’t anything to write home about, I think it’s very average outside of Sale, who they refuse to watch their useage and will inevitably fall apart in Sept/Oct

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Yesssss I love Clint. Now if we could get him every day AB’s I’d be unbelievably happy.

Neither Gardner nor Hicks are lighting the world on fire. Hicks has basically a half season of success , Clint should be the LF and Hicks/Gardner should platoon CF imo.

2 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Neither Gardner nor Hicks are lighting the world on fire. Hicks has basically a half season of success , Clint should be the LF and Hicks/Gardner should platoon CF imo.

Platooning them would mean playing Hicks vs lefties as a RHB and that’s his weaker side. Hicks is a great bench outfielder, but I’m good with trading him.

I really don’t want to trade Clint unless it’s in a deal for MadBum.

Michael Kay mentioned the idea of packaging Andujar instead when going after a pitcher and keeping Drury. 

Came across the following line in the NYPost which caused a chuckle: "As an anonymous emailer asks, “Is it legal for the Yanks to play a shift with an infielder stationed behind Sanchez?”)   :)

Frazier had a positive start last night: on base 3 out of 4 times - two walks a double and scored a run.

And Torreyes may not be the sexiest player on the Yankees roster - but for a jack of all infield positions (except 1st base I guess) the guy sure has been getting his hits. 2 for 4 last night - scored a run and is hitting .351  -  not bad production to have around.

We're gonna need another arm (or maybe two).

This pitching staff isnt gonna get us over the finish line in first.

If Severino gets hurt - we'll be in a world of hurt.

Tanaka (our #2) has been anything but commanding.

CC (our #3) is a finesse pitcher now - a good one - but a finesse pitcher and if he's not hitting his spots (or getting the calls) - he can get pounded.

Gray (#4) - I hope for the best every outing. Sometimes it works....sometimes it doesnt.

And all these guys (other than Severino) are a threat to burn out our BP over the long haul.

Did I miss somebody? Fact I'm not sure is proof that - we're gonna need another arm (or maybe two).

22 hours ago, Leader said:

CC (our #3) is a finesse pitcher now - a good one - but a finesse pitcher and if he's not hitting his spots (or getting the calls) - he can get pounded.

Gray (#4) - I hope for the best every outing. Sometimes it works....sometimes it doesnt.

And all these guys (other than Severino) are a threat to burn out our BP over the long haul.

Did I miss somebody? Fact I'm not sure is proof that - we're gonna need another arm (or maybe two).

Yup. Outside of Sevy there’s zero consistency.

Guys I think we’ll be targeting 

Fulmer

Corbin

Paxton 

We need Zona and Sea to start losing.

23 hours ago, Leader said:

Gray is a disaster right now. I don't get it. I guess he can't handle the pressure?

39 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Yup. Outside of Sevy there’s zero consistency.

Guys I think we’ll be targeting 

Fulmer

Corbin

Paxton 

We need Zona and Sea to start losing.

Zero consistency and zero dominance.
We better get about getting somebody sooner rather than later cause I have a bad feeling about this crew........

I tell ya - I was "more against than for" trading Frazier for Cole in Spring Training - and for no really good reason (given that I've yet to actually SEE him play once...) I'm still against trading Frazier - but I sure as hell wish we had Cole right about now.

We've got a whole bunch of depth in a lot of areas - different than many years past - but the "thing" with our Starters was always: "Will they stay healthy enough to get us there....." - well, healthy or not - I'm not so sure they're good enough as a whole.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Gray is a disaster right now. I don't get it. I guess he can't handle the pressure?

Dont know - cant say. The NYY picked him up at a time when I really wasnt paying real close attention to the day to day - so all I got was "this guys a pretty good pitcher" - which was fine with me cause thats what we needed.

Well last night - after he'd given up the 4-1 lead I texted a friend: Sonny "I've never seen a lead too big to give up" Gray.

Just now, Leader said:

Dont know - cant say. The NYY picked him up at a time when I really wasnt paying real close attention to the day to day - so all I got was "this guys a pretty good pitcher" - which was fine with me cause thats what we needed.

Well last night - after he'd given up the 4-1 lead I texted a friend: Sonny "I've never seen a lead too big to give up" Gray.

It's just hard for me to understand how he went from a guy who was somewhere in the range of good to very good consistently in Oakland (except for one year) to a total disaster.