Official Yankees Thread

mission27

Just now, jrry32 said:

It's just hard for me to understand how he went from a guy who was somewhere in the range of good to very good consistently in Oakland (except for one year) to a total disaster.

I’ve never seen a pitcher waste so many pitches. He gets ahead in counts and just lets batters back in .

Orrrrr

The only thing he does it try to nibble, he falls behind and when he actually has to pitch in the zone he gets pummeled.

Everyone but Sheffield should be available. We have a lot of legit chips: Wade, Drury, Austin with a headliner of Frazier or Florial , couple of lottery ticket arms. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

It's just hard for me to understand how he went from a guy who was somewhere in the range of good to very good consistently in Oakland (except for one year) to a total disaster.

As said, really dont know/cant say - but - New York is a different kinda place when it comes to playing pressure.

I bet Oakland had a whole bunch of "Gee....isnt the weather nice and I cant wait to have a nice time playing a game today"

West Coast - games played after most of the country's gone to bed already - and the AL West and AL Beast are two entirely different kinda divisions. Pre-Houston getting put in there, you'd have your Division leader and a bunch of also rans. Well in the ALBeast - when it was kicking s$$ - you'd have "playoff atmosphere" rivalry games throughout the year and tough comp up and down the Division.

Mentioned text messages earlier - well one I sent a few days ago - after yet another Torres HR ::  "Who knew we didnt need Stanton?"

I'm kinda joking.....but take a look at the NYY stats..........

Torres is creeping awfully close to Stanton's numbers - in everything but strikeout ratio.

Edited by Leader

13 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

’I've never seen a pitcher waste so many pitches. He gets ahead in counts and just lets batters back in.

Orrrrr

The only thing he does it try to nibble, he falls behind and when he actually has to pitch in the zone he gets pummeled

Thats because he lacks a dominant OUT pitch. Something every hitter has to set up for and adjust to others.

I always think these kinda of pitchers should also learn how to effectively thrown the knuckleball. If you're gonna be dazzling hitters with your location and movement cause you cant blaze one past them (or stick one under their chin to back them off) - well - no better "surprise" pitch to toss up there than a good knuckleball - plus - its easy on the arm.

On those days where your pitch count is gonna be a problem.......soft toss some unhittable junk up there.

Edited by Leader

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats because he lacks a dominant OUT pitch. Something every hitter has to set up for and adjust to others.

I always think these kinda of pitchers should also learn how to effectively thrown the knuckleball. If you're gonna be dazzling hitters with your location and movement cause you cant blaze one past them (or stick one under their chin to back them off) - well - no better "surprise" pitch to toss up there than a good knuckleball - plus - its easy on the arm.

On those days where your pitch count is gonna be a problem.......soft toss some unhittable junk up there.

I don’t agree with that. Gray has some fantastic stuff. I think it’s more of his process and his strategy that gets him into trouble.

I think an option on the table if things continue is to give Sheffield a shot in the early/mid Summer, see if he contribute right away 

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I don’t agree with that. Gray has some fantastic stuff. I think it’s more of his process and his strategy that gets him into trouble.

I think an option on the table if things continue is to give Sheffield a shot in the early/mid Summer, see if he contribute right away 

That very well could be. As mentioned, I wasnt paying a whole helluva lot of attention to baseball when we picked him up - and he was playing for a team I REALLY never saw - so -

If he's got fantastic stuff - great! - cant wait to see it - but - I'll tell you that in my estimation truly good to great pitchers with "fantastic stuff" - BRING IT.

They dont get lost in the weeds of the process and strategy of how to bring it - they do it and get people out. 

Their stuff gives them the balls to bring it and their success confirms what their balls were telling them: BRING IT. 

Sure - there's "strategy" in how to get things done - but when all else is considered - when the rubber hits the road - their "fantastic stuff" is the foundation for everything else built upon it - and so far, Gray hasnt built much. Will he in the future? Works for me. I sure hope so.

8 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I’m generally a jinx but it’s over for CC.  Can’t go deep into games, unreliable.

We’re going to have to give up a ton for a pitcher, I hope they’re on the younger side but if Hamels is the guy we can get we have to 

Saw some pitching stats that surprised me:

First HOU is kicking a$$ with their staff - thats not the surprise.

ERA: HOU is league leading @ 2.64 - whereas Yankees are twelve best at 3.85

Strikeouts: HOU league leading @ 581 - Yankees are fifth best (which I thought higher than expected) @ 517

Batting Average Against: HOU league leading @ .204 - Yankees are fourth best @ .224 (again, a higher ranking than I'd thought).

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Saw some pitching stats that surprised me:

First HOU is kicking a$$ with their staff - thats not the surprise.

ERA: HOU is league leading @ 2.64 - whereas Yankees are twelve best at 3.85

Strikeouts: HOU league leading @ 581 - Yankees are fifth best (which I thought higher than expected) @ 517

Batting Average Against: HOU league leading @ .204 - Yankees are fourth best @ .224 (again, a higher ranking than I'd thought).

Their staff has been historically good so far.

For us, I would go Sevy, Tanaka, German, Gray, Montgomery (when he’s back) send CC to the pen, and trade for a pitcher who takes over for the worst of Gray, Monty or German.

47 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

For us, I would go Sevy, Tanaka, German, Gray, Montgomery (when he’s back) send CC to the pen, and trade for a pitcher who takes over for the worst of Gray, Monty or German.

I dont see CC coming out of the pen. Wrong type stuff at this stage which requires gaining (and working) a feel for the plate. He's all movement and location now. The heater is fairly luke warm now.

He's our only Starter with an ETA in the 3's @ 3.63 - Sevy's best @ 2.28 (I'm not counting Montgomery as he's pitched so little).

The guy knows how to pitch. He's not some blazer thats lost the heater - yet never adapts their style and keeps getting pounded. When he's on (read: hitting the corners and getting the calls) he can still be effective for us. 

Even with the positive stats I looked up, I cant help thinking we do need an arm though - from somewhere. I was talking about this over the weekend with another fan and we hit the same wall we all do: "Okay - so who we gonna give up?"

From the NY Daily News:

"For while outplaying the Red Sox to win the AL East is the primary concern, it's hard not to think the Astros' pitching is the ultimate obstacle the Yankees would need to overcome to win the AL pennant.

In Verlander, Charlie Morton, and Gerrit Cole, the 'Stros feature the top three ERAs in the American League — and Dallas Keuchel is the notorious Yankee-killer.

Can Boone match that depth with Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, and Sonny Gray behind Severino? Right now it's hard to like those odds, which is why the pressure will be on Cashman to make the sort of deal in July that he essentially passed on for Cole last winter.

Hey, listen, anything is possible in October, and last year the Yankees came oh so close to knocking off the Astros with minimal contribution from Severino — and strong pitching from the other starters.

In addition, although the Yankee bullpen hasn't been as lethal as expected, it still looms as a difference-making advantage come the postseason, while the perception lingers that A.J. Hinch can't trust his closer, Ken Giles, when it counts most"

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I dont see CC coming out of the pen. Wrong type stuff at this stage which requires gaining (and working) a feel for the plate. He's all movement and location now. The heater is fairly luke warm now.

He's our only Starter with an ETA in the 3's @ 3.63 - Sevy's best @ 2.28 (I'm not counting Montgomery as he's pitched so little).

The guy knows how to pitch. He's not some blazer thats lost the heater - yet never adapts their style and keeps getting pounded. When he's on (read: hitting the corners and getting the calls) he can still be effective for us. 

Even with the positive stats I looked up, I cant help thinking we do need an arm though - from somewhere. I was talking about this over the weekend with another fan and we hit the same wall we all do: "Okay - so who we gonna give up?"

He barely can go 5. His era is good for the year, but his last what? 4-5 starts have been trash. Idt they’ll do it, but we need more reliability