Official Yankees Thread

mission27

Hell.....if a Andujar/Drury for Machado swap was possible - I'd do that before going to bed tonight. That is - in essence - Andujar for Machado. Drury's been in the minors the majority of the year. Baltimore would never do this swap.

Boston is just smoking hot right now. They're just mowing people down. 

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Agreed. We need pitching.

I don’t wanna win with a super team either, I’d rather win with our guys. If we sign Machado him and Stanton will cost 60 mil per year alone. 

We still have to pay Gary, Judge, Sevy, Gleyber, Bird, Didi there would be some casualties there.

• Like 1

I just dont see Machado happening. However, if we did somehow bring him over - I'd quietly explore moving Stanton in the off season to some team with deep pockets and some young guys we think have what it takes. The Dodgers? Problem is Harper's gonna be effecting the market at that point.

From another teams perspective (not the NYY) who would you rather have Stanton or Harper?

4 hours ago, Leader said:

I just dont see Machado happening. However, if we did somehow bring him over - I'd quietly explore moving Stanton in the off season to some team with deep pockets and some young guys we think have what it takes. The Dodgers? Problem is Harper's gonna be effecting the market at that point.

From another teams perspective (not the NYY) who would you rather have Stanton or Harper?

Why in the world would you do that? Stanton is an MVP type player.

30 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Why in the world would you do that? Stanton is an MVP type player.

Sure.

He is a talented player and hopefully he continues his current good fortune at the plate - but - he's a strikeout king and we've already got one of them in our daily lineup - so - if Stanton's numbers (on the field production) could be matched (or exceeded) by another - who strikes out less - the team will benefit.

I'm presuming the NYY will eventually want to sign AJ to a long term deal.

With specific focus on Machado who is currently outhitting Stanton - you're picking up three years of age. Given the likelihood that we'd try to resign Machado to a long term contract - or based on the assumption we would - that contract ends when he's in his mid (not late) 30's - when he could still be productive.

Stanton at 39 isnt going to be a MVP type player (IMO) - but he'll be getting paid like one. In a day and age of pitchers throwing in the mid 90's and above - older players are gonna have a hard time keeping up - and Stanton already (at age 29) has a league leading difficulty in that regard.

So - in essence - we'd be swapping Stanton's $$$ to Machado and picking up three years of production.

Again - I dont think we'll get Machado. I just dont think BALT will make that trade with us - so none of this will occur. That said - I still dont like having two (2) league leaders in strikeouts in our daily lineup - or the prospects of Stanton in the later stages of his current contract.

The only thing I dont like about Machado is the knee injuries.

54 minutes ago, Leader said:

Sure.

He is a talented player and hopefully he continues his current good fortune at the plate - but - he's a strikeout king and we've already got one of them in our daily lineup - so - if Stanton's numbers (on the field production) could be matched (or exceeded) by another - who strikes out less - the team will benefit.

I'm presuming the NYY will eventually want to sign AJ to a long term deal.

With specific focus on Machado who is currently outhitting Stanton - you're picking up three years of age. Given the likelihood that we'd try to resign Machado to a long term contract - or based on the assumption we would - that contract ends when he's in his mid (not late) 30's - when he could still be productive.

Stanton at 39 isnt going to be a MVP type player (IMO) - but he'll be getting paid like one. In a day and age of pitchers throwing in the mid 90's and above - older players are gonna have a hard time keeping up - and Stanton already (at age 29) has a league leading difficulty in that regard.

So - in essence - we'd be swapping Stanton's $$$ to Machado and picking up three years of production.

Again - I dont think we'll get Machado. I just dont think BALT will make that trade with us - so none of this will occur. That said - I still dont like having two (2) league leaders in strikeouts in our daily lineup - or the prospects of Stanton in the later stages of his current contract.

The only thing I dont like about Machado is the knee injuries.

We’re not going to move Stanton if we acquired Machado. It’s simply not how things work. Teams don’t move from one superstar in his prime for another. 

Stanton has many more prime years of play left. The very end of his contract could be rough, but that’s the name of the game, there’s no reason to complain about it.

Strikeouts are pretty obsolete nowadays. Managers don’t care; hence why strikeouts have been on the rise for the last decade. If your slugging and ops is high, they don’t care.

Talent wise; I would bet my house right now that every GM would be giddy if they had Judge and Stanton and wouldn’t care 1 bit how much they struck out. 

13 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

We’re not going to move Stanton if we acquired Machado. It’s simply not how things work. Teams don’t move from one superstar in his prime for another. Stanton has many more prime years of play left. The very end of his contract could be rough, but that’s the name of the game, there’s no reason to complain about it. Strikeouts are pretty obsolete nowadays. Managers don’t care; hence why strikeouts have been on the rise for the last decade. If your slugging and ops is high, they don’t care. Talent wise; I would bet my house right now that every GM would be giddy if they had Judge and Stanton and wouldn’t care 1 bit how much they struck out. 

I'll simply reiterate that I dont think we'll be getting Machado - and this blurp from a current NYPost article supports that thinking:

"In all that time – two decades and counting – Cashman has made trades of just about every type you can imagine: small, large, medium; for starters, relievers, sluggers. But you know what he has never done? Obtain a prime-aged position player in his walk year before the non-waiver trading deadline something that looks like Manny Machado. In fact, he has never done it at any time on the calendar"

https://nypost.com/2018/07/12/yankees-wont-blink-first-in-manny-machado-sweepstakes/

That said - IF - were were to get Machado - and presumably try to sign him long term - I dont think we could carry Stanton, Machado and eventually AJ's  long term (and expensive) contracts and keep a roster full of talent - w/o the luxury tax eating us alive.

As for the strikeouts - when we're getting production up and down the lineup - those two guys striking out at the rate they do can be compensated. When our rookie #9 guy is clubbing game winning HR's - those strikeouts lose some of their significance. When our rookie third baseman is amongst AL leaders in doubles - the strikeouts hurt less.

But when injuries thin out our lineup and turn it into something less than its best - PLUS - we have performers who are under performing - PLUS - we have a less than stellar / dominant pitching staff - those strikeouts begin to hurt more.

Hence - if we could swap Stantons production with Machado's - we'd lose the strikeouts - and maintain a decent roster salary look - i.e. paying two high priced players: Machado and AJ.

This would all be off season stuff - but IF we got Machado and got him to stick around - if I were Brian Cashman - I'd have some really quiet talks about their interest in Stanton.......say to the Dodgers  (who I believe were interested in getting him from Miami).  

"According to a person with knowledge of the situation regarding the Orioles and Manny Machado, the Yankees aren’t willing to part with any of their top 10 prospects for the All-Star shortstop. That list includes Estevan Florial, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield, Albert Abreu and Tyler Wade — not to mention rookie standouts Gleyber Torres and Miguel Andujar"

https://nypost.com/2018/07/14/yankees-unwilling-to-trade-these-youngsters-for-manny-machado/

Add on edit:  Dont know how accurate this report/article is - but if true, the NYY dont want Machado. I mean, you cant get a guy like Machado by trading the janitor and a couple gallons of bleach.

Edited by Leader

On 7/14/2018 at 7:18 PM, Leader said:

"According to a person with knowledge of the situation regarding the Orioles and Manny Machado, the Yankees aren’t willing to part with any of their top 10 prospects for the All-Star shortstop. That list includes Estevan Florial, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield, Albert Abreu and Tyler Wade — not to mention rookie standouts Gleyber Torres and Miguel Andujar"

https://nypost.com/2018/07/14/yankees-unwilling-to-trade-these-youngsters-for-manny-machado/

Add on edit:  Dont know how accurate this report/article is - but if true, the NYY dont want Machado. I mean, you cant get a guy like Machado by trading the janitor and a couple gallons of bleach.

Good. If we're going big, let's go get a great pitcher. But I'd rather just go after a mid-market rental and see what Justus can do when he's ready.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Good. If we're going big, let's go get a great pitcher. But I'd rather just go after a mid-market rental and see what Justus can do when he's ready.

As far as pitchers go, I dont think the market's got anything but mid-market talent. 

Here's the decision in my mind: keep the kids and look to next year - or go for it - using some sort of talent capital - to get somebody who will make a difference. Our current pitching staff wont get it done IMO - and I'd be surprised if somebody's gonna come up from AAA and get us over the hump. Thats not a dig on their potential talent, but recognition of the high level / pressure games we've got coming up.

In fact, I think it necessary to start pulling back on Severino's innings. He's been a respite from our (hopoefully) 5-6 inning starters - giving Boone opportunity to rest / reboot the bullpen - but Severino's recent ineffectiveness indicates he may need better protection.....i.e. rest.

As for whats actually going on regards Machado......dont think anybody in the public knows the straight scoop:

"One day after a person with knowledge of the Manny Machado situation told The Post the Yankees aren't interested in dealing any of their high end prospects, another voice chimed in Sunday saying the Yankees have offered players from their top-10 prospect list"

https://nypost.com/2018/07/15/maybe-yankees-are-offering-top-prospects-for-manny-machado/

Okay......now with this Manny diversion out of our way......let the search for some pitching help begin.

Sure wish JA Happ hadn't sucked of late.....against the RedSox.

In any case, we want to get it done this year - we need some arms - so lets go get some and get this 2nd half started.

3 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I hope I’m not gonna jinx him, but that’s the Sonny Gray we traded for. That’s the stuff that almost won him a cy young.

We shall see. Me? I'll withhold judgement till he closes down a major league roster......or at least somebody we might see in the playoffs. BOS owns him. 

From the Post:

"In 5 ¹/₃ innings, Gray allowed three runs (two earned), three hits, walked three and fanned six.

In his past two starts, Gray is 2-0 with a 1.59 ERA and has fanned 14 in 11 ¹/₃ innings. The numbers are solid, but remember those starts were against the Orioles and Mets.

The Orioles started Saturday with the worst record (28-70) in baseball and the Mets (40-55) possessed the second worst mark in the NL. Only the Padres (40-60) were worse. Overall, Gray is 7-7 with a 5.34 ERA."