Official Yankees Thread

mission27

45 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Personally, I'd rather us experiment with somebody different than go with German or Cessa. Also, it would be really nice if we could get Kahnle back in last year's form.

German's gone and I'd be surprised if he made it back to the starting rotation this year. Brought back for relief? Probably his route back.

I dont know enough about Cessa to know what I dont know - but from what I read, expecting great things is probably not a good idea. Always willing to be surprised though.

Kahnle's got some physical problems and the fact he's dropped off the face of the earth doesnt bode well for 2018 contribution.

Personally - I'm checking regularly for whatever it is we're gonna do cause sooner rather than later works for me. I'm underwhelmed by our rotation. Its not gonna be a "finisher".

I think we'd better be careful with Sevy. He was pushed further than ever before last year and has put in major work in 2018. It looked to me like he'd lost some velocity and accuracy in recent outings - which could indicate a tire arm - which is the precursor to problems if continually pushed. 

We need a bonafide starter - or - a bonafide shut down reliever.

Ellsbury. Just wanted to say his name - so, in some way its recognized he's still on the team.

Anybody know the history of Frazier? He had his bell rung alot? Starting to wonder if his career is in trouble........

He had a lot of issues with his concussion during ST.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/clint-frazier-suffers-setback-in-recovery-from-concussion/

I think German's stuff is too good to pull the plug on him being a starter forever, but he's probably not going to come back until rosters expand barring injury or a need for an extra arm. He just really needs more time to work on controlling and commanding his stuff.

Edited by JammerHammer21

2 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

He had a lot of issues with his concussion during ST.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/clint-frazier-suffers-setback-in-recovery-from-concussion/

I think German's stuff is too good to pull the plug on him being a starter forever, but he's probably not going to come back until rosters expand barring injury or a need for an extra arm. He just really needs more time to work on controlling and commanding his stuff.

Yeah I knew about ST - I was wondering if he's got a back story of concussions.

Although I dont think German's got serious lights out stuff - at least not yet - agree that he's got enough to build on and wasnt implying he be tossed out - he just needs time to find himself again. Get his mechanics and head straight. That said - I'd be less than thrilled if he's starting pressure packed playoff games for us. He's just not there yet. Neither was Sevy his first year. It takes time. 

Btw - any report on Loasigna? He was gonna have an MRI on his shoulder - but I missed the results? Whats up with him now?

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Yeah I knew about ST - I was wondering if he's got a back story of concussions.

Although I dont think German's got serious lights out stuff - at least not yet - agree that he's got enough to build on and wasnt implying he be tossed out - he just needs time to find himself again. Get his mechanics and head straight. That said - I'd be less than thrilled if he's starting pressure packed playoff games for us. He's just not there yet. Neither was Sevy his first year. It takes time. 

Btw - any report on Loasigna? He was gonna have an MRI on his shoulder - but I missed the results? Whats up with him now?

He has one of the best swing and miss rates in all the majors. His stuff is certainly lights out, if he can workout his mechanical issues he’s gonna be a stud in the rotation, if not he’ll be a stud in the pen , his stuff is that good.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/7/22/17599896/mlb-trade-rumors-yankees-pitching-sonny-gray

Teams scouting Gray?! Cashman maybe moving him for an ACE?! I’ll build a statue of him if Cash can pull this off.

As stated above....he gets his mechanics and head straight....maybe he'll have lights out stuff. In my mind you cant separate the two. Especially if you want to be a starter with a well rounded arsenal of pitches. If you're gonna be a reliever and get by on short innings by simply coming in and blowing people up - fine - but I dont think he's slated for that role. I think they have bigger plans (or hopes) for him than that. Its obvious he doesnt have it yet - thats why he's back in the minors - which isnt a death sentence - alot of younger/inexperienced arms need to step back and re-calibrate things before it falls in place.

BOS won again. Hopefully we can hold serve and not lose ground.

Edited by Leader

Fingers are crossed......

As screwed up as this may seem, I think I'd rather the NYY play any team other than TB @ The Trop right now. Dont know what the overall W-L record is - but we dont play our best at Tropicana Field. They're a team we should dominate - but dont. 

So - six games back and opening a three game set there - where we're scheduled to face the best they got: Snell, Eovaldi and some guy named Hunter Wood.

Each team is 5+5 in their last 10 and although its a bit too early for "must win" time...we'd better come to play and put these kiddies down - cause BOS ain't slowing down much and they get to eat BALT alive for the next three games. "Must win" - maybe not - but "better win" would probably be a real good idea.

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Fingers are crossed......

As screwed up as this may seem, I think I'd rather the NYY play any team other than TB @ The Trop right now. Dont know what the overall W-L record is - but we dont play our best at Tropicana Field. They're a team we should dominate - but dont. 

So - six games back and opening a three game set there - where we're scheduled to face the best they got: Snell, Eovaldi and some guy named Hunter Wood.

Each team is 5+5 in their last 10 and although its a bit too early for "must win" time...we'd better come to play and put these kiddies down - cause BOS ain't slowing down much and they get to eat BALT alive for the next three games. "Must win" - maybe not - but "better win" would probably be a real good idea.

Cross Snell off that list.......

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24175872/tampa-bay-rays-put-all-star-blake-snell-10-day-dl-shoulder-fatigue

23 hours ago, Leader said:

As stated above....he gets his mechanics and head straight....maybe he'll have lights out stuff. In my mind you cant separate the two. Especially if you want to be a starter with a well rounded arsenal of pitches. If you're gonna be a reliever and get by on short innings by simply coming in and blowing people up - fine - but I dont think he's slated for that role. I think they have bigger plans (or hopes) for him than that. Its obvious he doesnt have it yet - thats why he's back in the minors - which isnt a death sentence - alot of younger/inexperienced arms need to step back and re-calibrate things before it falls in place.

BOS won again. Hopefully we can hold serve and not lose ground.

They’re not the same thing. 

Sanchez really pissed me off with that lackidazical jog to get the ball, 1 unearned run,

10 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Sanchez really pissed me off with that lackidazical jog to get the ball, 1 unearned run,

I didnt see the play but over heard it.

Thought that came to mind: Sanchez better start picking it up at the plate, cause its becoming a regular occurrence that he's costing us runs behind it.

Wondering if Frazier's gonna have trouble getting over this.

"Clint Frazier (concussion) underwent tests conducted by a neurologist in Connecticut today. He'll have a follow up Tuesday. After today's tests, which included an MRI, hw was diagnosed with post-concussion migraines. Although he was in the minors last week when a dive triggered concussive concerns, Frazier is on the Yankees' MLB 10-day DL because he first reported complaints of nausea the week before while playing with the Yankees in Baltimore. In a game July 11, Frazier collided with an infielder while running the bases. He felt nauseous that night"

If he's had concussions back in the day - high school/college/minors - and he's now at the stage where getting "shaken" can cause a recurrence - or - if current issues are an offshoot of his recent down time and NOT a past history of multiple concussions - will be interesting to learn.

41 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

They’re not the same thing.

It's hard to extrapolate a complete thought from that response - but here's what I'll say to that......

I never said they "were the same thing."

They're called Pitchers. Not Throwers. A guy might have potentially "lights out" stuff - lets say has a heater in the low 100's - but if he cant command it. If he cant throw it for strikes or location - he wont be a Starter. He might not cut it as a Reliever. Not in the Majors.

Mechanics and the ability to deliver your "stuff" is critical to success. They 're not the same thing - but they cant be divorced from each other.

German's not the complete package - yet. I hope he gets there - but the history of the league is full of guys that have "good stuff" but they're ineffective Pitchers cause they cant put the pitch where its supposed to be.

Right now German's a 2+6 Pitcher with a 5.68ERA. His 95 strikeouts is 2nd on the team (good) and his 10.38K's p/9 innings is a good indicator and bodes well for the future - if he can get his mechanics (and head) straightened out. But what he is now is a 2+6 / 5.68ERA guy that just got demoted to the minors to put the complete package together. Thats not "lights out" in my book. Not yet at least.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

It's hard to extrapolate a complete thought from that response - but here's what I'll say to that......

I never said they "were the same thing."

They're called Pitchers. Not Throwers. A guy might have potentially "lights out" stuff - lets say has a heater in the low 100's - but if he cant command it. If he cant throw it for strikes or location - he wont be a Starter. He might not cut it as a Reliever. Not in the Majors.

Mechanics and the ability to deliver your "stuff" is critical to success. They 're not the same thing - but they cant be divorced from each other.

German's not the complete package - yet. I hope he gets there - but the history of the league is full of guys that have "good stuff" but they're ineffective Pitchers cause they cant put the pitch where its supposed to be.

Right now German's a 2+6 Pitcher with a 5.68ERA. His 95 strikeouts is 2nd on the team (good) and his 10.38K's p/9 innings is a good indicators and bodes well for the future - if he can get his mechanics (and head) straightened out. But what he is now is a 2+6 / 5.68ERA guy that just got demoted to the minors to put the complete package together. Thats not "lights out" in my book. Not yet at least.

Dude, cmon. You said you can’t seperate the two.

Yes you can, they’re 100% different. Your stuff is your movement of your pitches, the more break, movement, rotations etc the better your stuff is. 

Your control is your ability to determine where your pitch is going.

you can have one without the other .

17 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Dude, cmon. You said you can’t seperate the two.

Yes you can, they’re 100% different. Your stuff is your movement of your pitches, the more break, movement, rotations etc the better your stuff is. 

Your control is your ability to determine where your pitch is going.

you can have one without the other .

Let be clearer......

You cant have good stuff......

Be unable to consistently deliver it.....

And be considered to have "lights out" stuff.

If you cant throw it for strikes - eventually the batters will stand there and watch as you pitch outside - high - in the dirt - and off the plate inside.  Thank-you very much....think I'll take my place over at first  -  or  - they'll clobber a pitch you let get too much of the plate cause you're behind the count and have to give in.

In the MLB you need to deliver the ball to be successful. German's not mastered the delivery portion - hence, he just got sent down.