Official Yankees Thread

mission27

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

The ball is jumping off his bat isnt it?
Dont take this wrong - but you want to know who's swing he "reminds me" of?
Stanton. Short and compact.

Small sample size - and nobody's gonna confuse BALT with an overpowering pitching staff - but I say lets keep throwing him out there.

Btw - sorry for the jinx on Stanton!

Might as well give him some run with how Bird is playing.

6 hours ago, Leader said:

The ball is jumping off his bat isnt it?
Dont take this wrong - but you want to know who's swing he "reminds me" of?
Stanton. Short and compact.

Small sample size - and nobody's gonna confuse BALT with an overpowering pitching staff - but I say lets keep throwing him out there.

Btw - sorry for the jinx on Stanton!

Guess I haven’t noticed that. I’ll have to give it a look.

Too bad Boston already won the division because we’re only 5 games down in the loss column. Simply laughable, that they called the division for themselves .

55 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Guess I haven’t noticed that. I’ll have to give it a look. Too bad Boston already won the division because we’re only 5 games down in the loss column. Simply laughable, that they called the division for themselves .

It;s certainly not an exact comparison....but theres not a lot of moving parts to his swing. It's all upper body. 

From todays NY Post: "It’s like Christmas morning,” Voit said. “It’s great for my confidence. This is the first time I’ve actually got an opportunity in the big leagues. I’ve always been a bench player. It feels good to get consistent at-bats.”

So - its a feel good story - and we certainly need production from the position given the bats we're missing - but he'll come back to earth a bit. You dont go this long being a bench player and suddenly turn in to a stud. Hopefully Bird can find whatever it is he lost and get back. We could use both of them. 

As for BOS - I'll worry about them down the line. We need to take care of business and chew up these other teams. The time for a .500 record against the bottom feeders is over. 

Edited by Leader

"The Yankees will send infielder Abiatal Avelino and another minor leaguer to San Francisco for the Giants' regular right fielder, according to multiple reports. The 31-year-old Andrew McCutchen, a former National League MVP and long the face of the Pittsburgh Pirates' franchise, is batting .255 with 15 homers, 55 RBIs and 13 stolen bases in 130 games this season"

We're getting shafted because Frazier hasnt been able to stay healthy. This kid is a whole lot younger and had some good numbers:

The 23-year-old Avelino was hitting a combined .287 with 15 homers, 66 RBIs and 25 steals at Triple-A and Double-A.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Why are we trading for McCutchen? And why the eff did Boone make Betances the closer? Betances' track record shows that he's dominant as a setup man and crappy as a closer. Put somebody else in that spot. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Because we need a right fielder. Have since AJ went down.
I dont think we're gonna see him anytime soon and who knows how long it will take to get him up to speed - if at all this year.
Shane Robinson isnt the answer to any trivia game question you wanna be playing so we've been having to throw Neil Walker out there. Not good.

If Frazier was healthy this trade doesnt get made - but not the case and I'm starting to wonder if his issues wont be chronic. Its a shame really cause I like the stat line for the kid we gave up and he's some 8 years younger than McCutchen.

Injuries up and down the lineup have thinned it out - causing some players to put in too much time. Gardner's been getting overplayed and his batting average is suffering. Stantons played in 83 straight games.

As for Betances - its been Closer by Committee since Chapman's gone down and he's been fine - until tonight.

19 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Why are we trading for McCutchen?

And why the eff did Boone make Betances the closer? Betances' track record shows that he's dominant as a setup man and crappy as a closer. Put somebody else in that spot. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

He’s gonna play vs lefties well for Gardner.

Boone just got thrown out of the game! Showed some emotion! It’s avout time.

52 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Idk about this team, I really don’t 

I've been saying it for weeks.

Start Romine. He'll give us something at the plate and a complete catcher behind hit. He'll BLOCK pitches that Sanchez just takes a one handed swipe at.
Sanchez is costing us runs/games that he's not making up with his bat. DH him. It doesnt matter "He's our best hitter - when he's hitting". He's not been hitting all year and we're running out of time. If Sanchez cant hit - bench him. Next year will come around. They wont do it - "gotta get him ready for the playoffs" - but they should. 

We finally have a 1st baseman thats putting a bat on the ball. Good. Check that box off. FINALLY. Thats not "giving up on Bird" - thats giving up on Bird for now. 
A .197 batting average is bench / PH / late game defensive move material. You want wins (?) or you want "He's gonna come around....sometime?"

We;ve got two starters - Sanchez and Andujar - that are are complete adventures waiting to happen on the field. Costing us runs, outs and higher pitch counts our pitching staff cant accommodate. Its not good enough. Andujar's hitting. He's making up for his fielding errors. Sanchez hasn't been.

Add on: You wanna know the truth? I;'d start considering a move of Sanchez to first base. I've NO CLUE what kind of an adventure he would be fielding ground balls (probably not great) - but its less moving around (not his greatest skill......) - he's a big target - and in theory - he could contribute with his bat.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I've been saying it for weeks.

Start Romine. He'll give us something at the plate and a complete catcher behind hit. He'll BLOCK pitches that Sanchez just takes a one handed swipe at.
Sanchez is costing us runs/games that he's not making up with his bat. DH him. It doesnt matter "He's our best hitter - when he's hitting". He's not been hitting all year and we're running out of time. If Sanchez cant hit - bench him. Next year will come around. They wont do it - "gotta get him ready for the playoffs" - but they should. 

We finally have a 1st baseman thats putting a bat on the ball. Good. Check that box off. FINALLY. Thats not "giving up on Bird" - thats giving up on Bird for now. 
A .197 batting average is bench / PH / late game defensive move material. You want wins (?) or you want "He's gonna come around....sometime?"

We;ve got two starters - Sanchez and Andujar - that are are complete adventures waiting to happen on the field. Costing us runs, outs and higher pitch counts our pitching staff cant accommodate. Its not good enough. Andujar's hitting. He's making up for his fielding errors. Sanchez hasn't been.

Add on: You wanna know the truth? I;'d start considering a move of Sanchez to first base. I've NO CLUE what kind of an adventure he would be fielding ground balls (probably not great) - but its less moving around (not his greatest skill......) - he's a big target - and in theory - he could contribute with his bat.

Benching Sanchez for Romine is ridiculous, and that’s the only way to put it.

Putting him at first takes away too much value. Everyone likes to point at the passed balls but what about his framing and his arm??? Seems to be conveniently forgotten.

Guy has been back like a week, give it a break.

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Benching Sanchez for Romine is ridiculous, and that’s the only way to put it.

Putting him at first takes away too much value. Everyone likes to point at the passed balls but what about his framing and his arm??? Seems to be conveniently forgotten.

Guy has been back like a week, give it a break.

You give it a break.

It's ridiculous? Why? Because Sanchez is hitting so well? Because Sanchez just needs to get back to when he was KILLING the ball earlier this year? Uh-huh. Right. Then give him his ABs as the DH. Keep his defense on the bench. 

Framing? You kidding me? You think his "framing" so superior that it offsets all the times he fails to block a pitch? Or wiffs at it? Really? I heard the announcer mention that last night as well - when he was seriously trying to explain WTF was going on with the guy and find something positive to say. Framing. Okay. Sure. He's superior at framing. Our pitchers strikeout rate supports that theory.

I'm not against Sanchez. I'm for putting the best lineup we can on the field - cause (in case you havent noticed....) we're not exactly killing it - and we need to - NOW.
The very LAST thing we want to do is finish the season in BOS - then fly 3000 miles to play in that dark cavern of a stadium in OAK.

There's 22 games left.

OAK is the hottest team since the AS break. We've been treading water for weeks now.

The spread is 3.5 games. Four in the loss column.

From the NY Post. Apparently somebody else doesnt think it so ridiculous:

"If the wild-card game occurred today, I’d pair up Severino with Romine, thanks to Severino’s superior ceiling to J.A. Happ’s and Romine’s reliability on defense. You could convince me to go with Happ, though. Sanchez? Eh, no matter that Boone praised his catcher for “reining it in” after the first. They aren’t the sort of decisions a playoff team wants to contemplate. Then again, this isn’t the sort of baseball a postseason club wants to be playing."

With crunch time here, can the Yankees outrun the A’s to avoid a return here for that Oct. 3, loser-goes-home contest? Their schedule — and their league — might very well bail them out again. Of their remaining 22 games, nine come against clubs mailing it in (three each with the Twins, Blue Jays and Orioles), three versus the imploding Mariners this weekend at Safeco Field, four with the dangerous Rays and six with the elite Red Sox, who, ironically, could be resting and prepping for the postseason by that time, the division and top seed potentially clinched.

Btw - the Sanchez to first base idea was for next year only. Its way too late to consider such a thing now. That wont happen either - but its worth a thought for the future. His catching is pretty bad.

Edited by Leader