Official Yankees Thread

mission27

50 minutes ago, Leader said:

You give it a break.

It's ridiculous? Why? Because Sanchez is hitting so well? Because Sanchez just needs to get back to when he was KILLING the ball earlier this year? Uh-huh. Right. Then give him his ABs as the DH. Keep his defense on the bench. 

Framing? You kidding me? You think his "framing" so superior that it offsets all the times he fails to block a pitch? Or wiffs at it? Really? I heard the announcer mention that last night as well - when he was seriously trying to explain WTF was going on with the guy and find something positive to say. Framing. Okay. Sure. He's superior at framing. Our pitchers strikeout rate supports that theory.

I'm not against Sanchez. I'm for putting the best lineup we can on the field - cause (in case you havent noticed....) we're not exactly killing it - and we need to - NOW.
The very LAST thing we want to do is finish the season in BOS - then fly 3000 miles to play in that dark cavern of a stadium in OAK.

There's 22 games left.

OAK is the hottest team since the AS break. We've been treading water for weeks now.

The spread is 3.5 games. Four in the loss column.

From the NY Post. Apparently somebody else doesnt think it so ridiculous:

"If the wild-card game occurred today, I’d pair up Severino with Romine, thanks to Severino’s superior ceiling to J.A. Happ’s and Romine’s reliability on defense. You could convince me to go with Happ, though. Sanchez? Eh, no matter that Boone praised his catcher for “reining it in” after the first. They aren’t the sort of decisions a playoff team wants to contemplate. Then again, this isn’t the sort of baseball a postseason club wants to be playing."

With crunch time here, can the Yankees outrun the A’s to avoid a return here for that Oct. 3, loser-goes-home contest? Their schedule — and their league — might very well bail them out again. Of their remaining 22 games, nine come against clubs mailing it in (three each with the Twins, Blue Jays and Orioles), three versus the imploding Mariners this weekend at Safeco Field, four with the dangerous Rays and six with the elite Red Sox, who, ironically, could be resting and prepping for the postseason by that time, the division and top seed potentially clinched.

Btw - the Sanchez to first base idea was for next year only. Its way too late to consider such a thing now. That wont happen either - but its worth a thought for the future. His catching is pretty bad.

If you don’t think benching a career .856 OPS player for a career .621 ops player is insane , then I really don’t know what to tell you.

Gary has had slumps this year, mixed in with injuries, giving up on him is flat out dumb. We need Sanchez to get hot if we want a shot at the WS.

And AGAIN, he just came off a significant DL stint.

23 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

If you don’t think benching a career .856 OPS player for a career .621 ops player is insane , then I really don’t know what to tell you.

Gary has had slumps this year, mixed in with injuries, giving up on him is flat out dumb. We need Sanchez to get hot if we want a shot at the WS.

And AGAIN, he just came off a significant DL stint.

I'm not giving up on anybody. Bird.....Sanchez.....anybody. You continually go to that extreme. I'm saying we need production NOW.
Career stats are irrelevant now. Nobody's saying Romines a better hitter than Sanchez......but Sanchez hasnt been hitting the ball well all year and its 2018 stats that count - especially since we're running out of 2018 games. Do we NEED Sanchez to get hot? Sure do. No doubt. Have for a long time. All season in fact. You think its gonna happen in the next few weeks? You still willing to wait on him?

He's not hitting and he's not fielding well. Thats what he's doing now.
We need W's now......at a faster pace NOW than we've been getting them for some time.

Edited by Leader

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not giving up on anybody. Bird.....Sanchez.....anybody. You continually go to that extreme. I'm saying we need production NOW.
Career stats are irrelevant now. Nobody's saying Romines a better hitter than Sanchez......but Sanchez hasnt been hitting the ball well all year and its 2018 stats that count - especially since we're running out of 2018 games. Do we NEED Sanchez to get hot? Sure do. No doubt. Have for a long time. All season in fact. You think its gonna happen in the next few weeks? You still willing to wait on him?

He's not hitting and he's not fielding well. Thats what he's doing now.
We need W's now......at a faster pace NOW than we've been getting them for some time.

He’s been off the DL for 5 games and you think that’s enough for you to say he’s not hitting. Sorry, not how baseball works. We should be judging Sanchez from now going forward ( if you’re not giving up on him) and 5 games isn’t enough to judge.

Saying we should bench Gary for Romine would get you laughed at else where because it’s so absurd. 

1 minute ago, pollino14 said:

He’s been off the DL for 5 games and you think that’s enough for you to say he’s not hitting. Sorry, not how baseball works. We should be judging Sanchez from now going forward ( if you’re not giving up on him) and 5 games isn’t enough to judge. Saying we should bench Gary for Romine would get you laughed at else where because it’s so absurd. 

Again you reach the wrong conclusion.

DH him. Keeps his bat in the lineup no? So he's free to get hot and reach the career hitting levels you say is right around the corner.
Keeps his passed balls and missed blocks out of the stat line and gives us a more than competent catcher behind the plate.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Again you reach the wrong conclusion.

DH him. Keeps his bat in the lineup no? So he's free to get hot and reach the career hitting levels you say is right around the corner.
Keeps his passed balls and missed blocks out of the stat line and gives us a more than competent catcher behind the plate.

So you’re going to risk injury to Stanton and bench McCutchen/ Gardner for Romine?

Sanchez had a terrible game behind the plate, he’s still a good catcher. Disregarding framing and throwing out runners is not smart. There’s a huge difference if you’re ahead in the count or behind in the count, framing helps you get ahead. He has a cannon for an arm and he works well with the staff, the pass balls are an issue but you CANNOT ignore everything else.

13 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

So you’re going to risk injury to Stanton and bench McCutchen/ Gardner for Romine? Sanchez had a terrible game behind the plate, he’s still a good catcher. Disregarding framing and throwing out runners is not smart. There’s a huge difference if you’re ahead in the count or behind in the count, framing helps you get ahead. He has a cannon for an arm and he works well with the staff, the pass balls are an issue but you CANNOT ignore everything else.

You keep talking about framing as if he's some expert at it. Our pitching staff's stats dont support the theory that he's pulling in strikes or getting them calls because of his framing. We'll see how he produces. So far he's 3 for 18 since his return (.142). He's hitting .186 for the year. Romines not gonna set the world on fire with his bat - but at least he's hitting .251 - and gives us a reliable glove behind the plate.

You say his bat will make all the difference. So we'll just see. It hasnt all year - but theres a few games left for it all to turn around. And btw - unlike AJ - Sanchez has been able to swing a bat his entire stint on the DL. So his swing shouldnt be too far out of whack - not moreso than its been all year at least.

Edited by Leader

From Girardi:

Girardi, a former catcher himself, believes he has a solution.

“To me, over the next four weeks I’d try to fix the base. It’s his base"

“His left knee collapses and he’s not in a position to catch some of these balls and block some of these balls. If they can fix that, it’s a no-brainer.”

When Sanchez came off the disabled list last week, he and Girardi’s replacement, Aaron Boone, both said the catcher had put an emphasis on his conditioning and defensive training during his rehab. It has yet to pay dividends.

Sanchez entered Thursday tied for the MLB high with 13 passed balls this season, despite only catching in 59 games. He hasn’t fared much better at the plate, batting .186, but he is still a threat with his power.

“He’s in there because of … the potential of his bat,” Girardi said. “But right now, he had a tough game with [Luis] Severino. You can have those as a catcher, and you start to tense up and it makes it even worse. To me, you gotta fix that base. Until that base is fixed — and sometimes it’s hard to do during the season — he’s going to struggle.”

If the playoffs started today, who could we trust as a SP? Other than one bad start, Happ has been quite good since he came over. C.C. has had some ups and downs lately, as has Tanaka. And Severino isn't coming around. Would you trust Severino, or would you start the other three?

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If the playoffs started today, who could we trust as a SP? Other than one bad start, Happ has been quite good since he came over. C.C. has had some ups and downs lately, as has Tanaka. And Severino isn't coming around. Would you trust Severino, or would you start the other three?

That’s a tough question. I guess if the one game playoff were tomorrow I’d go Tanaka... Tanaka-Happ-Sevy-CC

Really need Sevy to come back .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If the team has the luxury of setting up the rotation for the WC game - you set up Severino. He's the Ace of this staff. I'd be comfortable if it fell to Happ. He's pitching confidently and tough for us. But you have to give the ball to your Ace if he's rested and on schedule.

However - with such a tight spread over OAK now - and questionable prospects that spread would widen enough that we'd clinch the top WC spot early enough - our end of season schedule is going to dictate our rotation.....i.e. we'll need to keep winning.

We've got two (2) more off days till seasons end - the last one being Monday, Sept 17th. The WC game is scheduled for Wednesday, October 3rd.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/nyy/new-york-yankees

Edited by Leader

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

If Sanchez didn’t start the WC game, Boone should be fired on the spot.

“On Baseball Prospectus, Sanchez is considered among the game’s better framers of pitches. Yankees pitchers had a lower ERA when Sanchez caught this season (3.48) than Romine (4.00) in a similar number of innings.”

Sanchez isn’t going anywhere, period. 

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

If Sanchez didn’t start the WC game, Boone should be fired on the spot.

“On Baseball Prospectus, Sanchez is considered among the game’s better framers of pitches. Yankees pitchers had a lower ERA when Sanchez caught this season (3.48) than Romine (4.00) in a similar number of innings.”

Sanchez isn’t going anywhere, period. 

LOL Why you so strident?

Idk how you can say start Sevy in a one game playoff because of upside but then say in the same breath sit Gary and start Romine. Like what the actual eff?

tbh if it’s me I’m starting Tanaka. He’s big time. He rises to the ocassion almost every time and when he’s on he’s a top ten pitcher in baseball. I’m 1000000% comfortable going with him. As for a lineup.

Cutch

Judge

Hicks

Stanton

Sanchez

Didi

Andujar

Voit

Torres

Thats our best lineup.