Official Yankees Thread

mission27

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Man, what an awful end to the season. It still doesn’t feel real and still hurts to think about. It’s gonna sting for a while.

immediate thoughts for post season: Boone is already on thin ice. I get he’s a puppet for Cashman, and it’s not all on him but his knowledge of when to and when not to pull a starter has looked awful.

Cashman needs to make a move. Imagine what we could’ve done with DeGrom or Mad Bum. At some point you have to give to get and not rely on JA Happ and Lance Lynn. On the other hand i understand that he most likely felt that Sevy was gonna turn it around...guessed wrong

Sevy, man the more i think about it the more confused i get, he went from being a top 5 pitcher and someone with a 1.99 era after his first July start, and then just completely folded, had a better September, but bombed when we needed him.

Giancarlo Stanton, he looked flat out scared in the playoffs. In pressure situation he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else, I’ll give him a pass for now, but I’d still take Harper and trade Stanton if we could.

I’d like to see us make a run at Patrick Corbin. I’d also reallllllly like to add a big left handed bat. Not sure who or where, but I still think we get in on Harper. 

If George was still around heads would role and a **** ton of money would’ve been spent.

On a positive note, we still have Aaron Judge.

If George was around, the Yankees would have traded Severino, Judge, Sanchez, etc. long ago, and Gleyber would never be in the organization. They'd have a bunch of bloated contracts on the roster and be in much worse shape.

The Yankees should be in position to make some moves, and should make those moves. The series sucked, no doubt. I think people overreacted to Boone in the regular season, but the pitching decisions were baffling. Obviously, windows can close in a hurry, but the Yankees are a team that should be able to have their window open longer than most, and it's because they haven't been making panic moves like George would have. Obviously, getting a guy like DeGrom or MadBum would have helped a lot, but it also would have gone against everything the Yankees have done recently (blowing up the farm). I don't know if giving hundreds of millions to Machado/Harper and Corbin is the answer, but I think that it's likely a better bet than some of the big FA moves the Yankees have made in the past given the relative ages of the players.

I'd bring back Robertson and Sabathia, and maybe Happ (probably depends on Corbin). Think they can get Gardner back at less than his option, and I'm not sure there are many better options for the role he probably plays as the 4th guy. Sonny is obviously traded or non-tendered because that's just not working out. And the Yankees probably shouldn't rest expecting Luke Voit to be as good as he was down the stretch, so that's another thing to consider.

Edited by JammerHammer21

22 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

If George was around, the Yankees would have traded Severino, Judge, Sanchez, etc. long ago, and Gleyber would never be in the organization. They'd have a bunch of bloated contracts on the roster and be in much worse shape.

The Yankees should be in position to make some moves, and should make those moves. The series sucked, no doubt. I think people overreacted to Boone in the regular season, but the pitching decisions were baffling. Obviously, windows can close in a hurry, but the Yankees are a team that should be able to have their window open longer than most, and it's because they haven't been making panic moves like George would have. Obviously, getting a guy like DeGrom or MadBum would have helped a lot, but it also would have gone against everything the Yankees have done recently (blowing up the farm). I don't know if giving hundreds of millions to Machado/Harper and Corbin is the answer, but I think that it's likely a better bet than some of the big FA moves the Yankees have made in the past given the relative ages of the players.

I'd bring back Robertson and Sabathia, and maybe Happ (probably depends on Corbin). Think they can get Gardner back at less than his option, and I'm not sure there are many better options for the role he probably plays as the 4th guy. Sonny is obviously traded or non-tendered because that's just not working out. And the Yankees probably shouldn't rest expecting Luke Voit to be as good as he was down the stretch, so that's another thing to consider.

I hear ya on how George would’ve paniced, and we might not have gotten to this point because of that.

Sheesh it just hurts having Boston of all teams celebrate in our house not once but twice. Not happy at all. To be honest I want Corbin AND another starter. Bolster that rotation. Our lineup in all reality is fine aside from first base where we should try and sign a vet on a one year deal Incase Voit falls off the grid which obviously is more likely than not to happen. 

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I hear ya on how George would’ve paniced, and we might not have gotten to this point because of that.

Sheesh it just hurts having Boston of all teams celebrate in our house not once but twice. Not happy at all. To be honest I want Corbin AND another starter. Bolster that rotation. Our lineup in all reality is fine aside from first base where we should try and sign a vet on a one year deal Incase Voit falls off the grid which obviously is more likely than not to happen. 

Wouldn't be opposed to getting Machado and trying to do something with Andujar. Love watching the guy hit, but he's an absolute butcher at 3rd, and just a complete liability in the field. Manny's only 3 years older too. Maybe Andujar can learn the OF or something, but I think the likelihood that he ever becomes even just a mediocre 3B is pretty much zero.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:50 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

Wouldn't be opposed to getting Machado and trying to do something with Andujar. Love watching the guy hit, but he's an absolute butcher at 3rd, and just a complete liability in the field. Manny's only 3 years older too. Maybe Andujar can learn the OF or something, but I think the likelihood that he ever becomes even just a mediocre 3B is pretty much zero.

I'd just hate to move on from Anduja and watch him become a passable defender. The guy has so much potential as a hitter and is under team control. I think I'd stick with him.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd just hate to move on from Anduja and watch him become a passable defender. The guy has so much potential as a hitter and is under team control. I think I'd stick with him.

I highly doubt we're gonna go after Machado. Doesnt mean Andujar's job with the team is safe, but - pre Didi's injury - he was the best hedge against chasing Manny (i.e. we can survive w/o him and save a bundle of cash). That plus I dont see how we can pay Stanton (till he becomes a worthless old man) PLUS Manny - PLUS all the guys we're gonna need to pay in the not too distant future. I hate 10 year deals as invariably they become an achor on the team's finances.

Nothing against Stanton "per se" - but during the season - when Manny was being shopped around - I was in favor of moving Stanton for Machado - who had Stanton beat in most offensive categories, didnt strike out 2-3 times every game, was 3+ years younger (so an extended contract would take him into his mid 30's - not till he's pushing 40) - but that was before I realized Stanton has a full on no trade clause.  No way he was gonna authorize a move from NY to BALT. Stanton's ours. Hope he improves his hitting style somewhere along the line. He can plaster a ball a long way if he gets good wood on it.....but he also swings like a statue. 

I dont watch HOU regularly or all that often - but I do check in when these playoffs come around and again I'm impressed by two things. Outside their obvious hitting and pitching talents - they're excellent defenders and all seem to have rocket arms. I really like how they chuck the baseball around. Contrary to our guys (Andujar being an excellent example......) they have firm over the shoulder deliveries that move the ball with speed in a straight line. If somebody could train and physically build up a guy like Andujar to change his method of throwing to first base - I'd have far less problem with him at third. So he doesnt get to EVERY ball hit his way. Happens with alot of guys.....but if he could develop his throwing motion and strength........he'd be a far more complete player. Thirds the furthest infield position from 1st base. The ball has to move..... 

Edited by Leader

55 minutes ago, tgrades3 said:

What up without Ellsbury? Can we cut thAt guy yet

Can we cut/release him? Yeah, I guess - but we'd still have to pay him and I cant think of another player - cut/released by one team who's signed with another - and is still receiving 21M p/season from the first one.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/jacoby-ellsbury-92/

This is why I hate paying guys until their late 30's. Ellsbury isnt a great example to prove my point - cause he's been a broken down hunk of worthless junk for a few years already - but just think how having his 21M off the books would free up spending on a different - actually producing - player. Would help out alot on the "Dont want to exceed the luxury tax" situation as well.

Look at that website. He went from a UFA w/BOS in 2014 - at 9M per season salary level - to signing with us for 21M per year - and we've gotten squat from him.
I sure hope that 5M buyout in 2021 is a team option - cause that'll be cashed quicker than you can blink an eye.

Edited by Leader

• 2 months later...

I agree with this thinking.

From the NYPost:

"Next, if handed their current scenario? I’d pass on both Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. Not because I’m concerned for the Steinbrenners’ financial health, but rather because it simply is poor roster management to commit mega-dollars to two players you barely know. Stanton already gives them one such commitment.

Yet if the Yankees are as serious about signing Machado as they appear to be, if they’re willing to dive right back into this pool only a year after Stanton produced mixed results and mixed feelings?

Then I’d sign Harper instead.

In the outfield, the Yankees’ great quantity gets mitigated by its questionable long-term quality. Beyond future captain Aaron Judge, they have Aaron Hicks in his walk year; Stanton, who at age 29 already is best as a designated hitter; Brett Gardner, best as a reserve; the eternally injured Jacoby Ellsbury; and Clint Frazier, whose two concussions from 2018 sadly put his viability in question. Why not pair Harper with Judge as corner-outfield cornerstones? Shoot, they can even re-sign Hicks and field a great young trio together.

Lefty balance. We all know how right-handed the traditionally lefty-leaning Yankees have turned in their Baby Bombers era, and that became only more pronounced in 2018 with not only the arrival of Stanton but also the emergence of righty bats Miguel Andujar, Gleyber Torres and even Luke Voit, and the regression of lefty-swinging Greg Bird.

Positional need. In the short term, of course, the Yankees must solve their infield due to Gregorius’ absence. And the possibility exists that Gregorius might not be able to return at the same level, or at all. So Machado, a natural shortstop who plays an even better third base, would serve as one heck of a doorstop shortstop.

Most position players who undergo TJ surgery do make it back, however, and Cashman is on record that he’d like to retain Gregorius, a potential free agent after next season, beyond his team control. Then there’s Andujar, another signed and developed guy whose outstanding bat and strong work ethic provides reason to fantasize over how much value he’d provide if he grew into merely an adequate defender at the hot corner.

How about the Yankees sign either Daniel Murphy to play second base or Freddy Galvis to play shortstop and play Torres at the other, bulk up their bullpen and call it a day? I can’t blame them if they want to act more aggressively than that. We can question them, though, if they don’t deploy that aggressiveness optimally. Signing Machado, from here, looks like the wrong execution of a big buy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

German was suspended 63 games... that is a bit ridiculous. The guy was suspended end of last season and the post season already. If figured hed miss somewhere about 20 games to start the year but 63 come on... that 81 games total (including post season)... there has never been a suspension for domestic violence on a player that hasnt been arrested. The biggest punishment for a player of similar charges was just 40 games. This is more than double for the same scenerio.