Official Yankees Thread

mission27

• 3 weeks later...

So Cashman has stated that he is not interviewing more candidates for the manager position.  So it is down to 6 guys: Rob Thomson, Hensley Meulens, Eric Wedge, Chris Woodward, Aaron Boone, and Carlos Beltran.  Based on the information out there, Thomson would be the guy I am personally most comfortable with.  He's been on Girardi's staff and has been with the organization since the 90s.  He has a lot of experience as a coach and perhaps more importantly, knows how the organization works better than any of the other candidates in all likelyhood.

Wedge is the only one with any managerial experience, but both were failed stints.  So I would not be impressed at all by that.  I'd much rather go after an unknown than go with a retread manager.

Rumors abound that Aaron Boone is the selection.  Not officially confirmed by the team as of yet.  No coaching experience at this level.  We'll see how it goes I guess.  He will have a great roster at his disposal.  

At worst, he'll always have 2003 with us.

Edit: It's official.

How would you all feel about this off-season and roster for next year?

Manager- Aaron Boone
Bench Coach- Eric Wedge
Pitching Coach- Larry Rothschild
Hitting Coach- Carlos Beltran
1B Coach- Tony Pena
3B Coach- Dave Miley
Bullpen Coach Mike Harkey

Overview: Makes for a good overall coaching staff. Boone retains Rothschild who has done a tremendous job coaching up Severino and is kept. Also retains Tony Pena. Brings ins Beltran as the hitting coach. Beltran had mentored many of the younger players and I think he wants a role with the Yankees. And I expect Cashman to give it to him. Wedge is important here as he brings managerial experience to help Boone adjust. Wedge was a former manager of Boone so it makes a ton of sense. Miley makes sense as he is familiar with Boone being his former manager on the Reds and he went on to be a Yankees farm manager. So he connects with both Boone and the Yankees organization.

Lineup

Brett Gardner L CF
Didi Gregorius L SS
Aaron Judge R RF
Gary Sanchez R DH
Mike Moustakas L 3B
Greg Bird L 1B
Starlin Castro R 2B
Alex Avila L C 
Clint Frazier R LF

Overview: Many are probably wondering why Sanchez is listed as DH. Don't worry he will get his fair shair of games to catch. He struggled last year defensively with passed balls. Avila should take some of the pressure a bit as they can catch about 50% of the time. This also makes it so we don't have to carry a backup catcher on the team as you could just move Gary to C and bring in a Hicks or Headley to DH. Moustakas is the big addition to the lineup and would fit in really nicely between Gary and Bird. Lineup is a nice mix of lefties and righties. A pitcher would never get through a inning without facing both a lefty and righty which would force opposing teams to really use their bullpens to mix and match.

Bench

Chase Headley S 1B/3B
Aaron Hicks S OF
Ronald Torreyes R 2B/SS
Jacoby Ellsbury L OF/DH

Overview: Really wanted to start Aaron Hicks but I think we give Frazier a chance and utilize Hicks switch hitting abilities to come off the bench when opponents go to their bullpens. Headley and Hicks gives us versatility off the in the field and being switch hitters. I like that in a bench. Days that Sanchez catches Hicks will probably start at CF and Gardner will probably DH.

Rotation

1. Luis Severino R
2. ‎Masahiro Tanaka R
3. ‎Sonny Gray R
4. ‎Alex Cobb R
5. ‎Chance Adams R
6. ‎ Jordan Montgomery L

Overview:  Well we miss out on Ohtani so Cobb seems to be the next target. Would be a very nice 4th pitcher. One thing I don't like about this is that we only have one lefty starting pitcher. And I see him and Adams splitting that last spot in the rotation. Montgomery will be used as a bullpen arm or to give the pitching staff an extras day rest.

Bullpen

Aroldis Chapman L CL
David Robertson R Setup
Tommy Kahnle R
Delin Betances R
Chad Green R
Adam Warren R

Overview: Once again only one lefty which is our big weakness for next year. Not having enough lefties. But this is how we are built and all those picthers are too good not to have a spot on the roster. Montgomery will have to be used out of bullpen just to give us a lefty.

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

How would you all feel about this off-season and roster for next year?

Manager- Aaron Boone
Bench Coach- Eric Wedge
Pitching Coach- Larry Rothschild
Hitting Coach- Carlos Beltran
1B Coach- Tony Pena
3B Coach- Dave Miley
Bullpen Coach Mike Harkey

Overview: Makes for a good overall coaching staff. Boone retains Rothschild who has done a tremendous job coaching up Severino and is kept. Also retains Tony Pena. Brings ins Beltran as the hitting coach. Beltran had mentored many of the younger players and I think he wants a role with the Yankees. And I expect Cashman to give it to him. Wedge is important here as he brings managerial experience to help Boone adjust. Wedge was a former manager of Boone so it makes a ton of sense. Miley makes sense as he is familiar with Boone being his former manager on the Reds and he went on to be a Yankees farm manager. So he connects with both Boone and the Yankees organization.

Lineup

Brett Gardner L CF
Didi Gregorius L SS
Aaron Judge R RF
Gary Sanchez R DH
Mike Moustakas L 3B
Greg Bird L 1B
Starlin Castro R 2B
Alex Avila L C 
Clint Frazier R LF

Overview: Many are probably wondering why Sanchez is listed as DH. Don't worry he will get his fair shair of games to catch. He struggled last year defensively with passed balls. Avila should take some of the pressure a bit as they can catch about 50% of the time. This also makes it so we don't have to carry a backup catcher on the team as you could just move Gary to C and bring in a Hicks or Headley to DH. Moustakas is the big addition to the lineup and would fit in really nicely between Gary and Bird. Lineup is a nice mix of lefties and righties. A pitcher would never get through a inning without facing both a lefty and righty which would force opposing teams to really use their bullpens to mix and match.

Bench

Chase Headley S 1B/3B
Aaron Hicks S OF
Ronald Torreyes R 2B/SS
Jacoby Ellsbury L OF/DH

Overview: Really wanted to start Aaron Hicks but I think we give Frazier a chance and utilize Hicks switch hitting abilities to come off the bench when opponents go to their bullpens. Headley and Hicks gives us versatility off the in the field and being switch hitters. I like that in a bench. Days that Sanchez catches Hicks will probably start at CF and Gardner will probably DH.

Rotation

1. Luis Severino R
2. ‎Masahiro Tanaka R
3. ‎Sonny Gray R
4. ‎Alex Cobb R
5. ‎Chance Adams R
6. ‎ Jordan Montgomery L

Overview:  Well we miss out on Ohtani so Cobb seems to be the next target. Would be a very nice 4th pitcher. One thing I don't like about this is that we only have one lefty starting pitcher. And I see him and Adams splitting that last spot in the rotation. Montgomery will be used as a bullpen arm or to give the pitching staff an extras day rest.

Bullpen

Aroldis Chapman L CL
David Robertson R Setup
Tommy Kahnle R
Delin Betances R
Chad Green R
Adam Warren R

Overview: Once again only one lefty which is our big weakness for next year. Not having enough lefties. But this is how we are built and all those picthers are too good not to have a spot on the roster. Montgomery will have to be used out of bullpen just to give us a lefty.

With all due respect, I would be terribly terribly upset if this is how our off-season went down.

1. I'm not over-paying for Moustakus for one year he actually shows plus power. Not worth it, would rather make a run for guys next season. Headley with Gleyber/Andujar is more than sufficient. 

2. Sanchez isn't bad defensively. His past-balls are just more public. His framing/ arm are above average, and he works with the staff well. He losses a lot of value as a DH. Hicks will be an everyday player and rightfully so. Hicks>>>>Avilia. 

3. Without Ohtani, I'm not okay with a 6 man rotation. Throws everyone else out of whack.

4. I'd rather have 1-2 more years of CC rather than sign Cobb for multiple years. We have Adams/Abreu/Sheffield waiting in the wings, we don't need Cobb. 

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

With all due respect, I would be terribly terribly upset if this is how our off-season went down.

1. I'm not over-paying for Moustakus for one year he actually shows plus power. Not worth it, would rather make a run for guys next season. Headley with Gleyber/Andujar is more than sufficient. 

2. Sanchez isn't bad defensively. His past-balls are just more public. His framing/ arm are above average, and he works with the staff well. He losses a lot of value as a DH. Hicks will be an everyday player and rightfully so. Hicks>>>>Avilia. 

3. Without Ohtani, I'm not okay with a 6 man rotation. Throws everyone else out of whack.

4. I'd rather have 1-2 more years of CC rather than sign Cobb for multiple years. We have Adams/Abreu/Sheffield waiting in the wings, we don't need Cobb. 

So who do you see us signing. Youth is great an all but we could be world series bound this year. We are literally one improvement in lineup and one improvement in a rotation from being able to win it all. Shohei would have been both for us. Would have killed two birds with one stone. We gotta get someone in here or we will just be another playoff team coming up short

I don’t think we sign a big name this year. I’m saying CC and another reliever . We will be under the luxury tax.

And why do we need to make a big move?? We were 1 game away from the WS. Our three franchise players, Judge/Gary and Bird are still young in their careers and could conceivably be better this year. Hell, we might’ve not seen the best out of Didi and Hicks. Mix that in with solid vets in Headley, Castro and Gardner and potential studs in Gleyber/Frazier and Andujar and you have a terrifying line-up.

Sevy is still 23-24, Gray should be a solid 2,  Tanaka should improve his numbers with CC and year two of Montgomery is a solid rotation.

The AL is stacked, but we don’t have to make a huge move. Our young guys should progress enough to make us one of the favorites . 

On 12/4/2017 at 8:19 PM, pollino14 said:

I don’t think we sign a big name this year. I’m saying CC and another reliever . We will be under the luxury tax.

And why do we need to make a big move?? We were 1 game away from the WS. Our three franchise players, Judge/Gary and Bird are still young in their careers and could conceivably be better this year. Hell, we might’ve not seen the best out of Didi and Hicks. Mix that in with solid vets in Headley, Castro and Gardner and potential studs in Gleyber/Frazier and Andujar and you have a terrifying line-up.

Sevy is still 23-24, Gray should be a solid 2,  Tanaka should improve his numbers with CC and year two of Montgomery is a solid rotation.

The AL is stacked, but we don’t have to make a huge move. Our young guys should progress enough to make us one of the favorites . 

Well we made a big move after all...