4(111). Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana

NewAge

35 minutes ago, xrade said:

Was Mitchell drafted with the idea that he will replace Fant at some point?  Was he drafted as a potential swing / backup?  It would be great to have him play well enough to start and not have to spend a high draft pick on OL.  I'm just curious as to JD's thinking with him.

Ideally he would step in and play OT for us eventually, Clemons would replace JFM, Ruckert would replace Uzomah/Conklin, etc...

But according to Connor Hughes at worst they feel like Mitchell will be a guy who can slot in at any OL spot except Center should be need him. If he comes that utility guy on the line it's still deemed a success. 

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I also think you have to look at the depth at the position. Mitchell really only has to beat our McDermott to be the next man up. Where Clemons is at a position that rotates... but there's 4-5 guys ahead of him.

Mitchell will likely play sooner, but it doesn't mean he's going to be a better OT than Clemons will be at DE. Besides, these guys at DE are good depth, but they didn't really do much to think Clemons can't beat them. Curry will be 34 next month with a blood disorder, Huff had 2 sacks, JZ has more healthy scratches than tackles, and Martin is solid but like 6'2 240lbs. They are great for rotation but these guys can be beaten. Clemons has the skills to be good at both pass rushing and run defending. I really believe he'll be in rotation with Lawson, JJ, and JFM until JFM becomes a fulltime DT mid season.

Edited by rickyt31

18 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Huff is a good pass rusher. Our best pass rushing game last season he was in on 3 of the 7 sacks. 

Hes had 4 sacks in 2 years and was basically invisible in the rest of the games. We over rate him. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope this guy works out but it would absolute malpractice to not bring in a proven starter at this point and maybe even 2. We also need to go into next season with Becton as a none factor. If he gets healthy and wins a spot great, or if we can get a draft pick back, great. As a human being, I feel bad for the man. I personally have always questioned his work ethic and his love of football. I will never know for sure but a couple youtube videos mean nothing to me. I hope he recovers and gets motivated and can resurrect his career somewhere...I dont see it here though. 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:38 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

Ideally he would step in and play OT for us eventually, Clemons would replace JFM, Ruckert would replace Uzomah/Conklin, etc...

But according to Connor Hughes at worst they feel like Mitchell will be a guy who can slot in at any OL spot except Center should be need him. If he comes that utility guy on the line it's still deemed a success. 

Are you saying replace JFM for ineffectiveness or cost?

30 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Cost eventually. In a perfect world Clemons becomes our new JFM, Johnson becomes our new Lawson, etc...that's how teams who draft well operate. 

Then we're back to being thin again. We've worked so hard to build up depth and these guys are making good money but not top of the market deals. I don't see the point when we are not cap pressed unless we have a clear compensatory pick strategy.

8 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Then we're back to being thin again. We've worked so hard to build up depth and these guys are making good money but not top of the market deals. I don't see the point when we are not cap pressed unless we have a clear compensatory pick strategy.

You still add depth through free agency and the draft but once we have to start paying guys then you have to start getting creative.