Round 4 Pick 140; Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Right but it’s unfair to hold that against TT or any other GM  

I don't think he was...just noting how remarkable it is that we have a higher success rate in the 4th than in the first three rounds combined. I took it more as praise for their scouting of mid-round prospects.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, R T said:

I'm sure I will regret entering this conversation, but I will be surprised if Rhyan isn't given a real shot at the RT spot to start training camp. If he falters, than they can move him inside.   

I think like you do.

He can be a RT.  May be best suited as a guard, but he's got RT feet and temperment.

I feel like Nijman is our RT to start camp, but we shall see.  I think a lot of these guys are going to be cross trained to see if they can play tackle.

• Like 1

How much of the cross-training do they do with the rookies?  Long-term, cross-training is prioritized.  And short-term, I'm sure they like to get a look at guy just to see where they might be most comfortable right now.  

But my impression is that under MLF, for rookies they kinda like to have a guy get comfortable and variably game-ready at at least one position before flooding them with other positions besides?  I thought that when Runyan was a rookie, for example, despite his college tackle experience he practiced pretty much exclusively at guard?  

I wonder if they really envision Rhyan giving either Nijman or Newman or both a real run for a starting position?  Or if it's more about getting him ready to win next-man-up status at at least one spot, and then perhaps in time a second spot as well? 

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

I don't think he was...just noting how remarkable it is that we have a higher success rate in the 4th than in the first three rounds combined. I took it more as praise for their scouting of mid-round prospects.

I stand corrected then. I thought he was comparing picks by our GM’s as good or bad, not how successful we’ve been.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, Brat&Beer said:

FbWbv4KWAAAfu5p?format=jpg&name=small

Preseason or not, that is impressive! Let's see what happens with the games are real and they start using exotic blitzes. Can he pick them up? Athletically, he's got the tools, but the rookies usually struggle with the mental side of the game when the light are on for real. If he handles that, we've got ourselves a real stud, again in the 4th round! 

Sometimes scouting is hard, sometimes it is easy. Tom lasting to round 4 is a classic example of NFL front offices overthinking things. If we had stayed with our two original 2nd rounders, I would've been super pumped to get Tom with one of them. Guy plays well at OT/OG/C and then blows it out of the water with the RAS, we shouldn't be surprised he's a stud. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, craig said:

How has his run-blocking looked?  Given how obsessed MLF is with the run, run-blocking will matter too.  (Even if it's less urgent than pass).  

I watched Tom most every play where I could find him in the last two games.

I saw him get to the second level easily.  Very easily.  Once engaged, he didn't just stand guys up, he drove them.

Last game, he played guard a lot.  I saw him get too upright on one snap and walked into the backfield.  The next 3 snaps, he came out low and just destroyed his man.  In other words, I feel like he is fine run blocking and he does not really make the same mistake over and over.

I prefer him at tackle, but his guard stuff is pretty good, too.

Zach "Some Guy" Tom.  Make it happen.

• 3 months later...

I watched this Left Tackle lead on plays to the offenses right side last night.

I saw him work combo blocks and not just get to the second level, but also the third level.

This kind of athlete is kind of ridiculous.  I have little doubt that he could line up at TE and be just fine.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Tom might just be good enough for the Packers to move on from Bak's big contract.  Does Bak have any trade value?

He should.  His deal isn't bad and he's not ancient.

But I'd keep him for as long as Rodgers is here.  Nothing wrong with Tom being a swing lineman for a year.