Round 4 Pick 140; Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest

Packerraymond

It's very funny to me that on one of the draft podcasts I listen to there was a Lions guy who was saying that you should not mock an offensive lineman to the Lions in any round since the OL is set and they're all good and young.  Meanwhile the Packers are going to take a handful of OL late every single year and hit on 2/3 of them.

Zach Tom is a classic Packer pick--a midround tackle who can play all over the line. Just one little flashing redlight possibility that is bothering me: because Tom played center, I am wondering if there is a bigger problem with Josh Myer's knee surgery than we realize. Gulp!

Tackles are supposed to look slight because they're the ones that need to cover the most ground. The interior is where the fat guys are.

People think he may struggle to put on weight which may be why he fell this far. Perhaps that's true but one look at his face and you can't tell me that's a thin man's face. This is not a Spriggs situation.

I remember when we first drafted Bakhtiari some people thought he was a centre candidate. I'm seeing similarites with Tom. Both undersized, both excellent movers, both played LT but thought to be a centre prospect at NFL level.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Zach Tom is a classic Packer pick--a midround tackle who can play all over the line. Just one little flashing redlight possibility that is bothering me: because Tom played center, I am wondering if there is a bigger problem with Josh Myer's knee surgery than we realize. Gulp!

An easy way to understand this is that on average a football team at the high school or college level is going to play their most athletic OL at left tackle and their most intelligent OL at center then fill in the rest of the spots with what you've got.

So when you get a tackle/center combo package, that's a good indicator.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Quick Highlight of the "You dont touch me" move.

I like the pick, and I like the play; I just don't know if the man conjures up the "absolute technician" image for me.  I'm going with "consistent run blocker" or, after another drink or two, I might move on to "forceful run blocker" if I'm feeling a bit daffy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

I like the pick, and I like the play; I just don't know if the man conjures up the "absolute technician" image for me.  I'm going with "consistent run blocker" or, after another drink or two, I might move on to "forceful run blocker" if I'm feeling a bit daffy.

We definitely are a culture of absurd superlatives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Tackles are supposed to look slight because they're the ones that need to cover the most ground. The interior is where the fat guys are.

People think he may struggle to put on weight which may be why he fell this far. Perhaps that's true but one look at his face and you can't tell me that's a thin man's face. This is not a Spriggs situation.

I remember when we first drafted Bakhtiari some people thought he was a centre candidate. I'm seeing similarites with Tom. Both undersized, both excellent movers, both played LT but thought to be a centre prospect at NFL level.

Tom played C for three years until the switch to OT in '20. His C experience was likely why he was drafted. The backup C situation is unsettled and he's a better prospect than Hansen. 

16 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Tom played C for three years until the switch to OT in '20. His C experience was likely why he was drafted. The backup C situation is unsettled and he's a better prospect than Hansen. 

Positional versatility certainly helped.  That's your backup C next year.  Pretty much writes Hanson off the roster.

• Like 2