Black Friday Thread

devils1854

59 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I am looking to get an iPad mini for my mother in law. I think a regular iPad would be too big for her. She has a kindle and seems to enjoy that but its an older kindle and its garbage. she mainly uses her kindle now to email, take pictures, and watch youtube with my 2yr old daughter. I think the iPad mini would be perfect for her. Both her daughters have iPhones so they can just use iMessage. It will be a lot easier to take and send pictures. Also will be nice for them to facetime.

I'm still looking too. This will be my "big" purchase this year. If I come across a better deal, I'll be sure to post and tag you in it.

On another note for everyone, don't forget that a LOT of places price match non-door buster deals. So if you have gift cards or just don't want to make multiple stops, make sure you bring a paper copy or have the ad pulled up on your phone!

15 hours ago, iPwn said:

We’re talking about one day where 40% of the goods on sale, most being major *big buy items* of the year, are the lowest they’ll be all year. How is that a scam?

Because 60% of the items retailers promote as on sale are actually at a higher price than at other times in the year? So more than half the Black Friday "sale" items are bogus. 

50 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Because 60% of the items retailers promote as on sale are actually at a higher price than at other times in the year? So more than half the Black Friday "sale" items are bogus. 

Bogus or just not as cheap as you can get at another time? 8% off may not be as great as 10% off that you can get during a random sale at another time, but if you aren’t scouring ads constantly, odds are you aren’t going to find the random sale that has the item for cheaper. Given that knowledge, 8% is still a fine price reduction, not a scam.

Also - the article you posted saaid that it was cheaper OR the same price. Having a sale price that’s the lowest you’ll see it, but not the only time you’ll see it that low isn’t a scam.

One of the examples in the article you posted:

An Oral B electric toothbrush from Amazon was advertised as "save 26 per cent: was £40.49, now £29.99".

This sounded like a good offer, until you realise it was £5 cheaper on at least two days in July.

There’s other items that are bad deals, but it’s not like it’s hard to parse when a deal is off from what the normal pricing is.

Two days in July. Two random days in July. Sure, getting it for 25.99 instead of 29.99 would be great. But how likely is it that you were on Amazon searching for a toothbrush those two days? Getting it at 29.99 is still a good deal. It’s just not as great if you had gotten the random two day deal, but the majority of people aren’t getting that random deal.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Bogus or just not as cheap as you can get at another time? 8% off may not be as great as 10% off that you can get during a random sale at another time, but if you aren’t scouring ads constantly, odds are you aren’t going to find the random sale that has the item for cheaper. Given that knowledge, 8% is still a fine price reduction, not a scam.

Also - the article you posted saaid that it was cheaper OR the same price. Having a sale price that’s the lowest you’ll see it, but not the only time you’ll see it that low isn’t a scam.

One of the examples in the article you posted:

Two days in July. Two random days in July. Sure, getting it for 25.99 instead of 29.99 would be great. But how likely is it that you were on Amazon searching for a toothbrush those two days? Getting it at 29.99 is still a good deal. It’s just not as great if you had gotten the random two day deal, but the majority of people aren’t getting that random deal.

RRP is bogus anyway, retailers use it to act as if they are regularly offering great deals. So yes I think if you are advertising (and by god there is a lot of it) that the Black Friday sale is the can't miss event of the year, yet you are actually charging higher prices that at other points of the year, it's a scam. 

I don't know how they get it past advertising standards here in the UK frankly, if you advertise a product is 10% off but it's 9% usually the advertising watchdog has a fit and makes you change your advert. 

The article I posted was literally the first item that popped up, there are plenty of articles discussing this tactic. 

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/tips-to-avoid-scams-on-black-friday

According to an investigation by Which? almost half of the products in 2015's Black Friday sales had actually been cheaper in months before or after Black Friday. 

Which? also found that numerous offers from retailers such as AO and Currys also had inflated "Was" legacy pricing to make it look like customers were getting a better deal. According to Which?:

Ultimately most of the folks on here won't get caught out because (judging by the fact we have ten's of thousands of posts on an internet forum) we spend a lot of time on the internet and are relatively savvy. 

However, what these numbers prove, and knowing a few people who work in the retail industry, (the furniture industry btw is a whole other level of scams) is that people are being bare faced lied to. 

What's funny now is in the many UK retailers say if the price of the item you purchase drops further within the 30 days of Black Friday they will refund the difference..... Why would they do that if Black Friday was indeed what it was designed to be? 

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

What's funny now is in the many UK retailers say if the price of the item you purchase drops further within the 30 days of Black Friday they will refund the difference..... Why would they do that if Black Friday was indeed what it was designed to be? 

It sounds like black Friday deals for you guys in the U.K are a lot different than here in the states.  

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

If it was a scam, why would they offer to match pricing if it does go lower? Wouldn’t the end game be to get people to buy it at a pretend low price and then point and laugh when it goes lower?

2 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

A TV that expensive is never a great deal...Wait a year and it'll be $400.

The problem with doing that is that it can be very hard to find previous year models because none of the major retailers stock old models...as soon as the new model comes out they pull the old models off the shelves. 

@texans_uk

You guys are getting in deal that I seriously wish was available in the U.S. Amazon UK has the PS4 pro with call of duty:wwII and FIFA 18 for £300. 

The only PS4 pro deal in the U.S is GameStop which will have it for a $50 discount and you get nothing with it.. that U.K deal if £40 off the regular price and the two games are free ?

@buno67

Archived