With the 144th pick in the NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select Sam Howell, QB, UNC

MikeT14

Start at the 54 sec mark. There are 3 drop balls by NC receivers. Howell has a little TH escape ability (extend the play) but a stronger arm. He doesn't look like a great QB more like a TH but overall he looks better than TH and brings some physicality to would be tacklers. Actually think we should have taken him with the Percy Butler Pick.

Edited by 4209

I’m intrigued with the pick. I felt bad for him last year- terrible team and at the draft. I don’t expect him to be a superstar but he could be a better colt mccoy back up type that plays 8-10 years and you need these type of guys 

maybe he balls out and then you can trade him in a few years for something better. 

• Like 1

Howell might be the best QB in this draft class. 

I was over on a North Carolina football forum reading about Howell. They had mentioned that he was anti-vax (like Wentz) is & that this may have contributed in why he dropped like he did.

They said no way in god's green earth should Zappe (or whatever his name is) should have been drafted before Howell.

Now, their obviously biased & know more about him than I do.

But I can't help & wonder if there might be a little truth to this. 

It's the same situation with Wentz, imo. I think that was at least 1 of the reasons, The Colts Owner wanted him gone as well. Maybe not the only reason...but 1 of them.

I also think his size also could have contributed to it as well. He's not your proto typical NFL size.

Either way...I think we potentially got a heck of QB that can sit and learn as the #3.

I REALLY hope to see him come pre season.

He'll probably be one of my top prospects to look at.

He might be...a more talented version of Taylor Heinike with a bigger arm.

We shall see someday, hopefully.

Sam is the most overrated draft pick this year. Even if he was drafted in the 5th round, it was a very high 5th rounder.  Last year we had our hyped up third round picks and little production and I'm predicting the same for Sam. We already have a similar player in Taylor Heinicke, both smaller type players with low ceilings. Instead Ron creates a distraction on the team. I mean look how many replies this thread has compared to our fourth round pick. Are we gonna start hearing calls for Sam Howell after a couple of a losses? I wouldn't be surprised.

Meanwhile teams like the Bills draft prospects like WR Khalil Shakir in the 5th. WR Kyle Phillps was there too. We just aren't a creative team drafting. Yes, we would have been doubling down at WR but that's what good teams do sometimes and that was a huge area of need. You aren't gonna hit on every draft pick and this team needs to start drafting that way. 

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

I mean look how many replies this thread has compared to our fourth round pick.

I agree that Howell is a project and like almost all qbs, he will likely fail miserably, but it is hard to deny the intrigue.

Our fourth round pick was never talked about as an overall #1 pick of the draft, Butler was never even discussed as a day 1 pick.  In fact, I would suggest that the talk about Butler is at least as much of an exaggeration as Howell.  Butler himself is a project special team player that we have now projected as a starting safety, starting Buffalo Nickel and Slot Corner.  

Although, I am with you, I really like Shakir.

18 hours ago, taylor made said:

Sam is the most overrated draft pick this year. Even if he was drafted in the 5th round, it was a very high 5th rounder.  Last year we had our hyped up third round picks and little production and I'm predicting the same for Sam. We already have a similar player in Taylor Heinicke, both smaller type players with low ceilings. Instead Ron creates a distraction on the team. I mean look how many replies this thread has compared to our fourth round pick. Are we gonna start hearing calls for Sam Howell after a couple of a losses? I wouldn't be surprised.

Meanwhile teams like the Bills draft prospects like WR Khalil Shakir in the 5th. WR Kyle Phillps was there too. We just aren't a creative team drafting. Yes, we would have been doubling down at WR but that's what good teams do sometimes and that was a huge area of need. You aren't gonna hit on every draft pick and this team needs to start drafting that way. 

I always put drafting a QB in a different category than any other position. 

The payoff is just so much different than any other position, which changes the whole calculus. You know (everyone does) my position on QBs taken after the first 15 picks or so, it’s almost always a waste of time. But the reward on the rare occasion that you do actually get it right is so massive that at a certain point, it does often make sense to take a swing. No slot receiver or nickel CB — even if you hit on them, which is no great bet that late in the game — will ever come close to approaching the value you get from hitting on a late round QB. 

When it comes to late round (day 3) QBs, I think Howell is about as good a bet as you’re going to find. He has the arm of an NFL starter and he’s mobile enough that he could function just fine in any offense. I always thought the deep ball hype was a little overblown, but he does throw a nice ball at all 3 levels and inside/outside. I think it looked like he struggled with processing last year, he didn’t handle the poor pass pro well, and it honestly looked like he was forcing the “running” thing for some reason. 

He had the uneven 2021 season, but he was legitimately excellent in 2020. He ranked 2nd among all P5 QBs in Y/A and AY/A (behind Mac Jones, a top 15 pick with better teammates and lesser physical tools) and 3rd in passer rating (behind Kyle Trask, a 2nd rounder again with better teammates and lesser tools). 

I never fully bought the “supporting cast” excuse for his backslide in 2021 — it was basically the exact same guys on the OL, Ty Chandler was solid for them, and Josh Downs is better than either Dyami or Dazz Newsome were. But the OL did play like trash a lot of the time, the rest of the WRs were pretty bad, and any offense probably would struggle losing two guys like Javonte and Michael Carter that averaged 7+ YPC.

Even before Wentz, I would have been mad if they’d taken him in the 1st. After Wentz, I would have been mad if they’d taken him anywhere on day 2. But in the 5th? Damn. I would have rolled the dice there. If he can reach that Mayfield type level, which I think is possible for him, that’s quite an asset — whether for us or in trade. 

• Like 2