Bears draft OT Braxton Jones (Southern Utah) 168th overall

CBears019

Bio:

Jones was named a first-team All-Big Sky Conference pick the past two seasons, starting all six games at left tackle in the 2021 spring season and all 11 contests last fall. He was a third-team all-conference selection in 2019, starting 10 contests on the blindside. Jones played in one game during his redshirt season and in eight games as a reserve in 2018. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview

Jones has moments where he can overwhelm his level of competition with size and length, but he's currently lacking the technique and force needed to succeed against NFL defenders. Jones' run blocking isn't as dynamic or athletic as expected and his issues with pad level are a concern. However, he has good slide quickness, developmental traits and talent that should not be overlooked in pass protection. Shoddy footwork and a lack of half-man leverage in his pass sets led to a rough game against Arizona State, but both areas are correctable with work. He has the upside to become an average starting left tackle, but swing tackle feels like the safer projection. 

Strengths

Enticing overall size and length.

Explodes out of stance and into kick-slides.

Good job of staying square longer in pass sets.

Quick clinch hands stymie face-up rushers.

Expedites inside slide to capture the gap.

Outside hand is firm.

Choppy settle steps generate momentum into block.

Drives through play-side hand to secure move block.

Weaknesses

Inaccurate hand placement in run game.

Below-average acceleration to second-level landmarks.

Can't generate lower-body anger as drive blocker.

Rarely ever low man at the point of attack.

Inconsistent bringing feet through completion of the block.

Lethargic hands with spotty punch timing.

Platform instability leads to imbalance in punch contact.

Needs to eliminate his outside-in pass-setting approach.

Beaten inside throughout the game by Arizona State rushers.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/braxton-jones/32004a4f-4e10-3812-6017-fb2a329c4c5b

A real knuckle dragger with 35 3/8" arms but raw around the edges.  I guess if we were looking for a project type LT prospect based on his physical traits he's got potential to be a starter if well coached.  Not whom I wanted and mightily PO'd the Cheesies took Zach Tom just ahead of us but thems the breaks.

I actually really like this pick. His length is such a good asset, and he has a nasty streak that I think can be tapped into more often. 

Yes there is a potential LT in there somewhere, but I actually think he has the tools to be a really solid guard much sooner.

What he needs to improve is all teachable technique (hand placement, consistent posture, etc) and needs to even out the body composition, getting thicker and stronger in the bottom half

But he is a smooth athlete that uses angles to do his best work. Great combo for this type of scheme

• Like 2

168. Bears: Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah
Grade: A

Major sleeper OT. Has legitimate Pro Bowl OT traits. Mean streak as a blocker pops on film, too. Feet are outstanding. Does need to get a touch stronger. Dominated at small-school level. Love this with Justin Fields in mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yes there is a potential LT in there somewhere, but I actually think he has the tools to be a really solid guard much sooner.

Agreed. They'll work them all out, see what happens, but most likely Jones is a guard. 

Which is absolutely fine. 

• Like 1

Yeah he kinda sucks.   For NFL.  Sorry.  He is nfl big and strong.  

Best I can say.  Just being real.

If for some reason he is your starting LT that would be bad.  Very bad.  

Maybe he gets better somehow.  I don’t see it.  

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If for some reason he is your starting LT that would be bad.  Very bad.  

He won't be the starting LT for the Chicago Bears.

Let's...just let that nonsense evaporate.

Like a rancid fart.