Round 5 Pick 179; Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE South Carolina

Packerraymond

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

OG is a much less explosive position than OLB... i need to see some production out of him post-acl to warrant it. i'd take 2 firsts in a blink.

defense would definitely be better with gary - don't get me wrong. but i would rather spend early picks on explosive talent and money elsewhere

Taking 2 Firsts for a Pass Rusher is a very easy thing to do... since it's only ever gonna happen in your dreams- Brian Burns notwithstanding.

Also, I wouldn't say this D is operating just fine without him. Right now we haven't stopped anybody remotely good(Minnesota's debatable based on their stats) and our pass rush is comparatively pedestrian despite Kingsley's contribution with Pressures. I do have to admit I'd flinch if I had to immediately pay Gary 20M/yr before he comes back from his injury, but it'd just be a brief flinch. Then I'd bemoan my lack of drinkin' afterwards.

24 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Taking 2 Firsts for a Pass Rusher is a very easy thing to do... since it's only ever gonna happen in your dreams- Brian Burns notwithstanding.

Also, I wouldn't say this D is operating just fine without him. Right now we haven't stopped anybody remotely good(Minnesota's debatable based on their stats) and our pass rush is comparatively pedestrian despite Kingsley's contribution with Pressures. I do have to admit I'd flinch if I had to immediately pay Gary 20M/yr before he comes back from his injury, but it'd just be a brief flinch. Then I'd bemoan my lack of drinkin' afterwards.

fwiw old guys post made the 2 first contingent on one of them being top 10, this is the origin of the 2 frp comment

• 7 months later...

The guy was causing problems all over the place and set a decent edge on one play that I saw. Great to have a young guy in the rotation like this as Preston plays the seen it all vet, hopefully Gary comes back as the star, and LVN  begins his rise to his potential. 

21 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

We’re gonna have plenty of guys to rush the passer which is great—but we better be better stopping the run, or we’ll never get to those 3rd and 5+s we need to pin our ears back. 

In this last pre-season game, they ran at will against us when they saw us in the 2 DL, 2 EDGE set.

Once we went to 3 DL, 2 EDGE and closed the gaps, they were hit in the backfield immediately.

I want to say we ran that defense out against "heavy" offensive sets.

At least Barry remembers that we can do that stuff.  Whether or not he continues to remember those things in a few weeks remains to be seen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

In this last pre-season game, they ran at will against us when they saw us in the 2 DL, 2 EDGE set.

Once we went to 3 DL, 2 EDGE and closed the gaps, they were hit in the backfield immediately.

I want to say we ran that defense out against "heavy" offensive sets.

At least Barry remembers that we can do that stuff.  Whether or not he continues to remember those things in a few weeks remains to be seen.

Berry is still our greatest liability on defense.

• Like 1

Barry's gonna turn it around. He is in the press box now. Eagle eye. Bear in the air. He is gonna put mirrored windows up and put a nacho maker kit in there. Game console to test new ideas. Put all edge rushers on the line when it's 3rd and 25.  It should work this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, svp said:

Barry's gonna turn it around. He is in the press box now. Eagle eye. Bear in the air. He is gonna put mirrored windows up and put a nacho maker kit in there. Game console to test new ideas. Put all edge rushers on the line when it's 3rd and 25.  It should work this year.

Putting him in the press box was a good move, but could he coach from the parking lot?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The best thing I heard from Barry was he was listening to his players, and they want a more aggressive approach on defense.

As for Kingsley Enagbare, man his second-year leap looks legit. He better keep it up to hold off Cox for EDGE 4. 

How is Engbare not EDGE3?

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I wanted LVN to be EDGE3 as well.  But clearly, it needs to be Engbare.  

You know, #3 and #4 are only relevant if the EDGE partnerships aren't substituted in pairs. Of course, I'm assuming this is how the team actually switches them out, so...

Edited by Zycho32

8 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

You know, #3 and #4 are only relevant if the EDGE partnerships aren't substituted in pairs. Of course, I'm assuming this is how the team actually switches them out, so...

I'm looking at them more by snap count.  For right now, Engbare needs the lions share of snaps after P.  And maybe even with Gary as he works back into game shape.  LVN can still get his, but they should be more limited.  

I had thought he could get reps on the DL.  And with Brooks and Wooden playing as they have, those reps are going to be tougher to get as well.