Vikings select Jalen Nailor WR, Michigan St at #191

SemperFeist

I kind of like him. I caught a few Michigan State games on TV and he definitely stood out (along with Walker III). Clearly the durability is an issue, and he's probably a WR3 kind of player, but I think the speed potential as a matchup nightmare against teams 3rd and 4th DB is something that he could be used to exploit. When Michigan State had the time to throw downfield he was the bigtime threat for them and had a few big games this past season.

He only timed a 4.5 forty, but as a former track dude and with what I saw on the field I wouldnt be surprised if he could run faster than that and definitely plays faster than that in my opinion.

DeSean Jackson ceiling is obviously unlikely and probably more of a Scotty Miller kind of player in reality, but I think that ceiling potential is there none the less... durability will probably be his real determining factor in reaching said potential.

I could see him sneaking on the field in 4/5 WR packages and hoping you get that speed mismatch against a safety or slow corner. Also showed some vertical ability to go up and make the catch over DBs as well.

Edited by Ares Caesar
additional comments

The Vikings director of college scouting, Mike Sholiton, said about Nailor and Keenan McCardell, “We’re always looking for guys that can finish and score. I know Keenan was in there pounding the table for him. The best thing he does is get him the ball on the run, get him in space, and he runs away from people, creates separation with his speed and then pulled away at the second level, and I just think a well-rounded athlete all together.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/keenan-mccardell-reportedly-pounded-table-for-new-vikings-wr?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Nailor is interesting. He's a big play waiting to happen and he can make some ridiculous catches. He's never really stayed healthy for a consistent amount of time in college though and he needs to be sharper at the stem of his routes. That said, you could do worst for a 6th round pick because you can't really find explosive playmakers that far down in the draft most of the time. I think he's similar to ISM, where his on the field speed is a lot faster then the timed speed from their draft seasons.

If he stays healthy, I bet he makes the team.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, battle2heaven said:

Nailor is interesting. He's a big play waiting to happen and he can make some ridiculous catches. He's never really stayed healthy for a consistent amount of time in college though and he needs to be sharper at the stem of his routes. That said, you could do worst for a 6th round pick because you can't really find explosive playmakers that far down in the draft most of the time. I think he's similar to ISM, where his on the field speed is a lot faster then the timed speed from their draft seasons.

If he stays healthy, I bet he makes the team.

We'll probably keep 6 receivers. He'd make it as #6 I'd guess but likely inactive a lot.

16 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

We'll probably keep 6 receivers. He'd make it as #6 I'd guess but likely inactive a lot.

1. J. Jefferson
2. A. Thielen
3. K. Osborn
4. I. Smith-Marsette
----------------------------
I'd say 1-4 are roster locks. That leaves the following group, listed by NFL seniority, competing for 2+ spots

Bisi Johnson (recovering from ACL), Dan Chisena (special teams value), Blake Proehl (on Vikings site but thought he was out of NFL?), Trishton Jackson (UDFA - 2020 - Rams), Myron Mitchell (UDFA - 2021 - Vikings), Jalen Nailor (rookie), and Thomas Hennigan (UDFA - 2022 - Vikings).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

1. J. Jefferson
2. A. Thielen
3. K. Osborn
4. I. Smith-Marsette
I'd say 1-4 are roster locks. That leaves the following group, listed by NFL seniority, competing for 2+ spots

Bisi Johnson (recovering from ACL), Dan Chisena (special teams value), Blake Proehl (on Vikings site but thought he was out of NFL?), Trishton Jackson (UDFA - 2020 - Rams), Myron Mitchell (UDFA - 2021 - Vikings), Jalen Nailor (rookie), and Thomas Hennigan (UDFA - 2022 - Vikings).

Thielen was on nfl network a couple of days ago. He mentioned Tishton Jackson by name. So maybe someone to keep an eye on. 

6 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

1. J. Jefferson
2. A. Thielen
3. K. Osborn
4. I. Smith-Marsette

I thought I heard Proehl was out with a knee injury.