Bears draft RB Trestan Ebner (Baylor) 203rd overall

CBears019

FWIW coming out of HS: Ranked No. 217 national recruit on ESPN300 ... Ranked 32nd-best wide receiver recruit by ESPN, national position ranking among athletes: 42nd by 247Sports, 45th by Rivals and 53rd by Scout ...

The kid can flat out catch the ball....

Edited by dafreak

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

I don’t love this pick, but it’s the 6th round, so who really cares?

This is exactly how I feel...he adds receiving ability and is a 2x Big 12 special teams player of the year...no one expects him to make a huge impact but his versatility allows you to keep a roster spot free elsewhere. 

So this guy's highlight reel popped up on my youtube feed at it was fun.   

I then I searched an actual game to watch and I found he wasn't featured back on Baylor.  Then I found another one in case that one was a fluke and he was hurt or something.  

No, this other guy was the featured player - Abram Smith and our guy was the sub in player.   Like when Abram got tired or they wanted a jet sweep or something then Ebner came in. 

Abram had 600 more yards from scrimmage than Ebner.

And Abram went undrafted.  He is an UDFA for Eagles.   

Weird.  To me there isn't much difference between a 6th rounder and an UDFA in value, but still Baylor coaches clearly decided Abram was the better every down back.

Ebram was the better return man.   I guess he was drafted over Abram for special teams value + RB value.

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I then I searched an actual game to watch and I found he wasn't featured back on Baylor.  Then I found another one in case that one was a fluke and he was hurt or something.  

No, this other guy was the featured player - Abram Smith and our guy was the sub in player.   Like when Abram got tired or they wanted a jet sweep or something then Ebner came in. 

Weird.  To me there isn't much difference between a 6th rounder and an UDFA in value, but still Baylor coaches clearly decided Abram was the better every down back.

Ebram was the better return man.   I guess he was drafted over Abram for special teams value + RB value.

Seems to be a change of pace / 3rd down back to me, which is fine. Herbert is a decent receiver but Ebner is better, and if Velus and Herbert are playing primary roles on offense they may not want them returning KOs all the time. 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Any chance they see him more of a Receiver than as a RB? 

They said in drafts they want guys who are both good special teamers and can play a position.   Probably the first couple of rounds are excused from this criteria.  

Ebner was one of better return men in CFB and is a good RB with receiving skills.   So he fits their bill and profile.   Even if he wasn't best pure RB on his own team.

Velus is also a good returner and has RB skills as a WR like Deebo in SF showed can be a useful skillset in this type of offense.

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Before the pick I just had a gut feeling Poles was going RB and said "he's about to take Smith" almost jokingly and sure enough he went RB and chose the other Baylor back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

We’ll that’s about the absolute worst timing for a phone to stop working ever.

Ebner may be wondering why Poles had his sister’s number. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 5

On 5/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, dll2000 said:

They said in drafts they want guys who are both good special teamers and can play a position.   Probably the first couple of rounds are excused from this criteria.  

Ebner was one of better return men in CFB and is a good RB with receiving skills.   So he fits their bill and profile.   Even if he wasn't best pure RB on his own team.

Velus is also a good returner and has RB skills as a WR like Deebo in SF showed can be a useful skillset in this type of offense.

Jones, Herbert and Ebner? The KR/PR competition is going to be fierce

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I would've rather had a project WR than another RB and ST player.

I’m not entirely convinced yet they don’t see Ebner more as that. Most of his draft profile reads like he’s a better receiver than runner anyway. 

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I would've rather had a project WR than another RB and ST player.

Watching his highlights I see a lot of WR in his game, very natural catching the ball. He was also recruited as a WR initially.

38 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not entirely convinced yet they don’t see Ebner more as that. Most of his draft profile reads like he’s a better receiver than runner anyway. 

I was seeing this also.