Jump to content

2022 Draft Review: Grades, Praise, and Rage


DreamKid
 Share

Ravens 2022 Draft Grade  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. What's your early grade for our 2022 haul?



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

So historically, even if this is an all-time great draft for us, we're still probably looking at about 3-4 "busts" in an 11 man class.

My best bets for those guys as of now would be Kolar, JAD, and Ojabo (purely injury related). Maybe Badie if he doesn't get a lot of opportunity.

On the exciting end of the spectrum: this is wild to say because our first 3 picks could all end up as probowlers at one point or another, but I think when we look back on this class in 5 years we're all going to see Travis Jones as the best football player from this class. After watching his interviews/demeanor and putting that alongside his play...this is one mean MFer gentlemen. I think he could be a top 3ish DT in the league and potentially #1 when Donald retires.

 

I’d gamble on Badie, Williams, Likely, and maybe Ojabo.

Badie is a RB that’s going to be behind JKD and Gus the bus, it’s very easy to see a scenario where he gets beat out by Justice Hill due to special teams and then we never hear from him again (as. Raven anyway).

Williams is a savvy smart player, but he’s got some less than stellar traits. I can see that being his downfall in a league where the athletes he’ll be facing are all going to be on a different level athletically. It’s easy to see a scenario where he’s just not athletic enough to make enough plays.

Likely, I’m less sure on this one. I think while he’s shown me more playmaking skills early and superior hands, Kolar does have the larger catch radius and the better athletic profile. It sort of feels like Likely is close to his floor already whereas Kolar has the higher ceiling. I could see a scenario where Likely is the more impactful rookie, but in year two Kolar comes out as the better option moving forward- as what happened with Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson years back. Kolar’s game/play style actually reminds me of a Dennis Pitta and/or a Dallas Clark type of TE with some good athleticism but isn’t freaky. If he can develop his route running, he could become pretty scary as a receiver, whereas I’m not sure what Likely’s potential reveals.

Of course Ojabo is someone that I think could injury bust because while he WAS explosive and that was a big part of his game, I’m not seeing too many players return from an Achilles with the same level of explosion as before. If that remains true in his case, that might heavily impact his ability to catch fire once again.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Linderbaum selection deserves some fair skepticism but the rest of this is just idiotic.

- Kyle Hamilton was tracked at 21+ MPH on the field by GPS, he has no issues with speed. We also didn't draft him to be Ed Reed, who happened to run a 4.57 himself. The shrewd 'weird shape' analysis by this totally legit(I'm sure) NFL exec is odd as well. Kyle's height and length is one of his main selling points as it more easily allows him to disrupt/obstruct passing windows, effectively bring down ball carriers of all sizes, and matchup more favorably with the dominant slot TEs around the league. 

- David Ojabo, "They got a quote-unquote value pick there, but he might not play". What does he even mean by this? Ojabo was a Top 15 player who injured his Achilles. It will heal, and then he'll play. Most likely in late Sept-Early Oct. We have his college DC(MM), guru credited with his pass rush development(Ryan Osbourne), and friend(Odafe Oweh) all in house. Not only is it a value pick, but a pick more valuable to us than any other club in the league.

- The tape on Travis Jones wasn't good? 😂😂😂 You won't be able to find any draft pundit or football figure willing to go on record with that line of BS. That's the most hilarious take in this entire f*ckery. Also note that he's attacking us for taking a NT in the 3rd Round, a NT who had actual pass rush production in college unlike the other early round NT in the draft who didn't and went 13th overall. He must be calling for the death of Eagles' executives if he has such an issue with Jones to us in the 3rd. BTW Jones can play all interior defensive positions.

- There's more to unpack here, but I mostly just wanted to document this nonsense so we could refer back to it. Chad Forbes and Ian here have been quietly pushing this contrarian take on the Ravens(even though Ian gave their Draft an A). The universal praise was bound to attract some opportunists looking to build up their "I'm an individual" football analyst twitter cred, and it's about as dumb as you can expect. I'd respect it more if their knocks were more nuanced then "Those great players, who I like, that they drafted aren't actually that valuable" and "Why didn't they reach for more WRs?".  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

"They got a quote-unquote value pick there, but he might not play". What does he even mean by this?

I read it to mean that just that while recovery from ACL surgery is improving, you can never know how a player will turn out after what is still a pretty major injury.  "He might not play" is just hyperbole - if it read "he might not get back to how he was in his final season in college" it would be more accurate but not as interesting.

I agree that the "Travis Jones' tape was not good" line was pure BS

IMO the most interesting bit there is the last paragraph about the Ravens potentially being too rigid in sticking to their board, and not adjusting it as things change.  Assuming the Ravens stack their boards in tiers and will always pick a player of a higher tier over a lower one, they might need to change be more flexible in changing how they rank players within tiers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, drd23 said:

IMO the most interesting bit there is the last paragraph about the Ravens potentially being too rigid in sticking to their board, and not adjusting it as things change.  Assuming the Ravens stack their boards in tiers and will always pick a player of a higher tier over a lower one, they might need to change be more flexible in changing how they rank players within tiers

According to EDC, the only time something like this becomes an issue is with WR. The club feels WRs are getting drafted a round to a round & a half ahead of where they should. Making it hard to draft them with their BPA approach because there's typically significantly better value left on the board.

I'm not sure I want them to break with that strategy either. I'd be fine with them being more aggressive in obtaining WRs that are higher on their board though. The move to make in that 2020 draft for example was definitely trading up for either Lamb or Jefferson. They were bulletproof WR prospects that had slid down the board for whatever reason. We stayed put at 28 and drafted an off ball LB, which was highly questionable then and remains so today. 

DeCosta said the top three players on our Day 3 board were the three players we drafted first in that 4th Round, so we got all of our guys. As we know, the Ravens adhere to a BPA philosophy. Within that though, there's obvious wiggle room to go for need when players are similarly ranked. The FO isn't going to sit there and take 30 CBs in a row because they're the highest ranked player on the board each time. Then what I'm guessing they also do, is weigh positional value when gauging who they have to obtain from a cluster of players and who they feel is in more danger of being picked by other clubs. So while Faalele, Armour-Davis, and Kolar might have all been similarly ranked for the club- I think there's a clear reason why they selected them in order of accepted positional importance(OT-CB-TE).

It is funny to me that most criticism of our draft is centered around not obtaining a WR, and knowing that if we had been able to draft Calvin Austin 139th overall all of those complaints would essentially go away. Yet no one believes the WRs we drafted 201st, 131st, 92nd, or 27th overall from the previous two drafts, who have actual NFL experience & system familiarity, will be able to help us in 2021- because the Ravens have historically been awful at identifying and developing talent at WR. Interesting bit of logic being applied there.

The randomness of the criticism in that article is funny as well. The exec has issues with us because of positional value, but then takes a subtle shot at analytics later on in his assessment- when most contemporary consensus on positional value stems from analytics. He's twisting himself in knots trying to land something on us. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This guy's opinion is just a trolling job, Skip Bayless like. Those guys just try to be controversial in order to get attention and views, otherwise they're irrelevant. Since everyone seemed to have loved the Ravens draft, they just need to hate it in order to get attention.

I've followed several drafts. I haven't been so Impressed with the outcome of the draft in a long time. The 1st seven selections were absolutely outstanding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, DreamKid said:

- Kyle Hamilton was tracked at 21+ MPH on the field by GPS, he has no issues with speed. We also didn't draft him to be Ed Reed, who happened to run a 4.57 himself. The shrewd 'weird shape' analysis by this totally legit(I'm sure) NFL exec is odd as well. Kyle's height and length is one of his main selling points as it more easily allows him to disrupt/obstruct passing windows, effectively bring down ball carriers of all sizes, and matchup more favorably with the dominant slot TEs around the league. 

In addition to the 21mph I think the other thing that makes me feel a bit more confident with Hamilton and his “speed” is that he tested at the combine at only age 20, another year to physically develop might’ve gotten his speed down to that low 4.5/high 4.4 range anyway.

The 4.7 forty he ran at his pro day also doesn’t concern me as it was on grass and not a track.

Which off topic but that’s part of the  reason why the Isaiah Likely 4.80 time at his pro day concerns me a little less because he ran it on grass and thus is probably more of a low 4.7 type guy on track.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, DreamKid said:

The Linderbaum selection deserves some fair skepticism but the rest of this is just idiotic.

For me the Linderbaum selection is probably our safest floor. If there’s anything to be skeptical about it might be scheme fit, but Roman has shown he can build a run game out of most any talent within his scheme. The technique and elite hand fighting ability makes me far less concerned with his lack of length. And the wrestling background along with his ability to hold up collegiately at much lower weights also makes me not doubt what he should bring to the table.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

In addition to the 21mph I think the other thing that makes me feel a bit more confident with Hamilton and his “speed” is that he tested at the combine at only age 20, another year to physically develop might’ve gotten his speed down to that low 4.5/high 4.4 range anyway.

The 4.7 forty he ran at his pro day also doesn’t concern me as it was on grass and not a track.

Which off topic but that’s part of the  reason why the Isaiah Likely 4.80 time at his pro day concerns me a little less because he ran it on grass and thus is probably more of a low 4.7 type guy on track.

For me the Linderbaum selection is probably our safest floor. If there’s anything to be skeptical about it might be scheme fit, but Roman has shown he can build a run game out of most any talent within his scheme. The technique and elite hand fighting ability makes me far less concerned with his lack of length. And the wrestling background along with his ability to hold up collegiately at much lower weights also makes me not doubt what he should bring to the table.

Also, ravens have pulled their centers just about as much as anyone in the league under Roman. It hasn’t necessarily been all power all the time anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's crazy to me, now that I've had a couple of weeks to digest our draft and think about it, that "doubling down on the offensive scheme that got you to 14-2 and the most dominant running offense in NFL history" is seen as a bad thing rather than a good thing.

Not every team needs to be conventional to have success. I love that we're doing things differently and utilizing the skillsets we have, especially at QB. Lamar isn't a conventional QB, so trying to play conventional football with him is stupid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved the first 7 picks and the last one. I don't love taking a punter in the 4th round, but I will trust the FO on this. Personally, I would have taken Calvin with the 130th pick and take my chances to land Stout with the 139th pick. We will never know if the BUCS would have taken Stout if he was there or if they just liked Camarada better. Likely was not a bad pick, but I would have preferred Zach Tom, the very next pick that GB got. They got an outstanding player late in the 4th and he is going to be a stud OL for the Packers for a very long time (I was higher on him than Faalele even though DF is probably a strictly RT in our system and Tom will probably be a guard in the NFL). As for the Houston CB , it felt the FO was just freelancing at that point since the board was already empty. I felt there were better options honestly . He seems like a good kid, plays hard a has great work ethic , but that's not enough in the PROS. He really lacks the athletic tools to be an elite pro. 

With all that said, just an outstanding draft overall. If among 11 pick I didn't like 3 I'd say it a success . 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, warrenblue said:

I loved the first 7 picks and the last one. I don't love taking a punter in the 4th round, but I will trust the FO on this. Personally, I would have taken Calvin with the 130th pick and take my chances to land Stout with the 139th pick. We will never know if the BUCS would have taken Stout if he was there or if they just liked Camarada better. Likely was not a bad pick, but I would have preferred Zach Tom, the very next pick that GB got. They got an outstanding player late in the 4th and he is going to be a stud OL for the Packers for a very long time (I was higher on him than Faalele even though DF is probably a strictly RT in our system and Tom will probably be a guard in the NFL). As for the Houston CB , it felt the FO was just freelancing at that point since the board was already empty. I felt there were better options honestly . He seems like a good kid, plays hard a has great work ethic , but that's not enough in the PROS. He really lacks the athletic tools to be an elite pro. 

With all that said, just an outstanding draft overall. If among 11 pick I didn't like 3 I'd say it a success . 

 

Very unlikely you’re drafting an elite pro in the late fourth round. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Very unlikely you’re drafting an elite pro in the late fourth round. 

Exactly . That's why I personally prefer to take the high SPARQ/RAS raw guys with those picks over the productive college player with mediocre athletic traits. If the chances are really small to late picks to even stick in a roster, take the athletic beast over the productive college player with mediocre athletic traits. If your gamble pans out, you have Danielle Hunter and not Sack Daddy. Obviously with higher picks you prefer balance (Production, IQ, Athletic ability). But when your draftable players board is already empty like what Eric had in his hands during the draft when the 141th was there, just go with the athletic beast and trust your coaches to teach him.

I won't hold anything against Williams and the scout that selected him and I hope he pans out as a slot CB for us, but I personally did not like the pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...